Menu

What to do in DC in the early evening??

ThisIsTheDay

We'll be there for a weekday, taking a Capitol tour, visiting Library of Congress, etc.  The public buildings/museums close by 5.  Is there anything to do--free and cheap--for a few more hours until heading back to our hotel around 7?

The only thing I can think of is visiting monuments, but we did that last year.

Whatever we do needs to be free or super cheap (by my standards, which is really super cheap).

Any ideas?

Are you sure the museums are closed? When we've been there, they had at least one Smithsonian each day on evening hours. And the Smithsonian Museum of American Art has regular hours of 11:30 am to 7 pm..

ETA: What about taking the bus/Metro out to Embassy Row and wandering there? It's kind of fun finding the various embassies, and early evening you might even see officials wandering in and out.

• Like 1

How about the zoo? It is free. Looks like the buildings close at 6 but the grounds are open until 8.

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/Visit/hours.cfm

We're going to the zoo the next day!

Are you sure the museums are closed? When we've been there, they had at least one Smithsonian each day on evening hours. And the Smithsonian Museum of American Art has regular hours of 11:30 am to 7 pm..

ETA: What about taking the bus/Metro out to Embassy Row and wandering there? It's kind of fun finding the various embassies, and early evening you might even see officials wandering in and out.

I was sure, but then I googled again, and you are right!  Thank you!!  Looks like we'll have several choices, American Art, Portrait Gallery (always wanted to go), and a few others. 

Thank you both for responding.  I was worried that I'd feel we were wasting a few good hours, and now we have some more time to get in.  :)

• Like 1

Off the beaten track... but if you have kids <8 or so, the fountain at the Navy Yard Park is also a wading pool and is lots of fun. We found it serendipitously while staying in the Eastern Market a few years ago. It is near the Navy Yard Metro. If you have younger kids, it is a great area to walk around and burn off some steam at the end of the day. There is also plenty of street parking that is either cheap or free if there isn't a baseball game that day.

It sounds like you have older kids... for them I don't have any ideas :(

Kennedy Center has galleries with exhibits and a roof with a fabulous view. You do not need a ticket to a performance to get in. Plus they often have some free mini-performances and there are restaurants, places to have just a drink.

The Kennedy Center has free concerts each evening at 6:00. A wide variety! There's a calendar on the website somewhere (I'm on my phone and can't get to it).

I know they run the concerts during the school year; I think they do during the summer too.

• Like 2

The American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery open later (11:00) but stay open til 7, so that's a great option. I love the Kogod courtyard there - kids could play in the water feature and you could have pre-dinner ice cream, or take in a picnic dinner. I *think* the spy museum (across the street) is open until 7 too.

• Like 1