Menu

Have you used Novare's Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on it, especially the grades for which you'd find it appropriate.

I'd really like to use a Novare product for Physics, but my ds is out of step with their sequence and I don't know how to make it work.

Ds will be 10th grade this fall and he has already had biology (Apologia) and chemistry (Spectrum).

Novare is physics-first, and they have two 9th grade physics courses, Introductory Physics and Accelerated Studies.

Then they have Advanced Physics, which is calculus-based. Ds will be taking trig/pre-calc this year, so math-wise, he's not ready for Advanced Physics yet, and the author recommends having an initial physics course before the advanced course.

The author felt either of the 9th grade courses would be sufficient and sufficiently challenging, but I'm just having a hard time making that jump to being okay with "9th grade science" in 10th.

So if you've used Accelerated Studies, or Introductory Physics, or even if you've had the opportunity to physically hold and scan the textbooks... I would appreciate your opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We're using Intro to Physics this year.  My child has already completed Foerster's Algebra in 7th.  So, technically, we could have gone to the Accelerated textbook.  Since we're only in the 8th grade, I've opted for Intro to Physics instead.   It is going well.

It is a good introduction to physics.  I like how it is laid out, logical, easy to follow, not too busy.

However, it has been difficult to work with the company.

Next year, I'm going to choose Chang's Chemistry, and then Campbell's Biology.

• Like 1

What problems have you had with the company Half-Elven? Just curious so I know what to expect for some stuff.

We are currently working through Novare Accelerated Science. We aren't very far into it because my son hunts in the fall so we have a different schedule and are only starting chapter 2.

I don't think you will get as much info in this book as your regular science text. It is short and sweet.

What I do like about it is the focus on making the labs more like real labs with real reports. It isn't home school friendly as far as having answers to everything in the labs and the second lab requires students to push a pick-up and measure the acceleration. My son is working on changing it to a bowling ball since he is a class of one and would need to push a 9000 lb Excursion and measure at the same time etc. So it is involving a lot of problem solving for him. 😊 I would say if you as a teacher are happy to help him or he is motivated he will get a lot out of it as far as skills are concerned but if you are looking for as much info packed in a science text as possible look else where. If you are looking for something designed to be easy for homeschoolers, look elsewhere.

I can't say if it will be too easy for your son without knowing what else he has experienced. If he hasn't done graphs on the computer for his reports or have conversions from various units to others down and similar types of skills than it would probably be challenging.

I do recommend the Student Lab Report Handbook even if you use a different curriculum.

• Like 1

I agree with Frogger that the Student Lab Report Handbook is awesome.  It goes with any curriculum, and does a super job teaching how to write a full lab report from scratch. We put our toe inti it last year (8th) for physical science and will use it extensively in any high school science that I teach. 

It is also available through Rainbow Resources, BTW.

I am leaning towards Novare for Chemistry for Accelerated Students in 10th and would also like to hear more about Half-Elven's difficulties.

Novare is a new business just getting started.  I ordered my textbook and it arrived damaged.  As a company they request for any returns to be sent in a box, professionally packed...yet when my book was delivered, it arrived in a paper envelope.  I spoke with them regarding this and had to be firm with them that for a $75 book, it should arrive in excellent condition.  I did not receive a confirmation of whether it could be replaced.  I just sent the book back packaged in box, paid for packaging and postage.

When I documented and sent pictures of how the book arrived, it was replaced.

Another issue is the Resource CD.  I was given the impression that the solutions manual would most likely be included in the CD, that it would be available to those who purchase the CD.  It cost $50.  Now that it is Fall, and the solutions manual is now available, the cost is $15.  When I asked about the manual being sent to those who purchased the CD expecting that the solutions manual will be sent when available, I received an emotional reply about how they are a business needing to support their families just like everyone else. 

I have been creating my solutions manual since we started in August, because there was none available.  Since it is just an intro to physics, the problems have been easy to solve. 

As I've stated earlier, the book itself is a good and solid introduction to physics, however the service has been disappointing. 

It is quite possible that once they are up and running, producing and selling sufficiently, these issues will no longer occur.  I'm just not willing to invest and spend more due to "start-up" difficulties.

• Like 2