Menu

Encouragement--especially for those who struggle teaching young children

Once in a while I like to stop back to read the boards. My kids are graduated and off living life, but before that, I use to spend a lot of time here.

I like to stop by to encourage those of you who are still in the trenches. Homeschooling was a lot of work, and it was exhausting, but I do not regret it!

For those who struggle with young children--trying to teach them to read and helping them to learn--I have a story for you. Not everyone's story will be like ours, but I want you to know that the end of the book has not been written for your children. Those who struggle today may not tomorrow. 

My youngest was slightly dyslexic. In 3rd grade I began to panic that he would never be able to read. He could not read, he could not memorize, and he just was not learning! I read everything on learning problems, looking for answers. I tried all the various materials...and then one day it started to change, and he began to learn. It was not an overnight sensation, but a slow, steady process. Hard work. Laborious.

Today he is a senior in Software Engineering. Last semester was described by other students in his program as the worst/hardest one for his degree.

Last semester: GPA 4.0

This week, he was musing over what it would take to get into MIT, although he claims he is not serious about it.

I am not saying you will have the same results, but for those young children who struggle, it may not always be this way. Just keep moving forward. Don't panic. Take a few days off to recharge your batteries. Remember that you do not have the whole picture yet.

I once said a long, long time ago that homeschooling is a marathon, not a sprint--it is a long journey that ends way too soon. Take a deep breath and enjoy the time you have with them. Before you know it, the house will be silent all day long, and you will cherish the memories of sitting at the table together--even if you were overwhelmed and tired. Take a moment and enjoy the little ones under your feet. Life is too short to live it in a rush and a panic. Slow down. Every day, find a reason to fall in love with them all over again.

Keep on keeping on, and blessings to you all--

Jean

• Like 43

Thank you Jean! I don't have a little one or a dyslexic but there are often other challenges that make homeschooling stressful for me and I really appreciate it that you took the time to share. Sometimes it feels like everyone's a critic and there can be no win win no matter what you do as a parent let alone a homeschooler, and stories like these empower and lift those blues away.

• Like 8

What a wonderful success story! Congratulations to your son and you both.  :hurray:

Also, thank you, Jean, for taking the time to share with and encourage us. I'm so grateful to you and other posters like you who continue to share your wisdom with those of us coming along behind you.  :wub:

• Like 6

Thank you so much.

I have a just completed third grade boy here, and I'm very much in the phase of wondering how on earth we're going to make it.

He's a dear child.  I love him.  But I had no idea... just none... that it was going to be this ever lovin hard.  

Thank you for being a bright spot in my day!

• Like 2

I also so appreciate your encouragement.  My oldest didn't read until she was 8 and I think I put fear in her by worrying about how "behind" she was.  While I regret that, I still struggle with worrying about her being behind because she is still in a 4th or 5th grade math book (and struggles through it) and she is 13.  I have finally seen her read much more consistently on her own and as a result her spelling skills jumped.  I wonder how she will finish and get enough credits to graduate and what she will do afterwards, etc. but I am trying to learn to trust the process.  I know she will become a wonderful, godly woman and that is what matters.  

I love what you said about taking the time to enjoy the moment and fall in love with our kids each day.  I so agree!  Life is so precious.  It has taken my son getting cancer for me to really see that and my own health problems for me to slow down, breathe, and enjoy life.  I have cut down tremendously on curriculum and it is helping me think of the bigger picture things I want to communicate to my kids.  I so wish I had listened to other veteran homeschool moms in the past who said these same things.  It will be the same message I will continue to pass on to other homeschool moms in the future.....

• Like 1

I still struggle with worrying about her being behind because she is still in a 4th or 5th grade math book (and struggles through it) and she is 13. 

My other son took 4 years to learn his multiplication tables. He is now a Mechanical Engineer for Rayovac. That is not one of the futures I would have guessed in a million years!

• Like 3

Oh, so fun to see those names of people I know from those golden days--Colleen, Tammy, Lisa. You know, there are days when I am home alone listening to silence that I wish I had one more little person at my kitchen table, who I could read to during the lunch hour, and who would just be here making noise and needing a mom!

• Like 2

Oh, so fun to see those names of people I know from those golden days--Colleen, Tammy, Lisa. You know, there are days when I am home alone listening to silence that I wish I had one more little person at my kitchen table, who I could read to during the lunch hour, and who would just be here making noise and needing a mom!

You can come over to mine and read to them.  lol