Menu

A question about taking iron and crazy periods

dancer67

I have been taking 324mg of Ferrous Gluconate, by prescription for about 5 years now. Plus I take a pre-natal vitamin that has 30mg of iron in it.

When I started, I was iron deficient and since taking this regimen my iron has been fine. I would get heavy periods once a month for a few days.

But now...................

My periods are really wonky.

I had a period and two weeks later had another period but it was so light. And now I have not had my period since May 23rd.

I am afraid of iron toxicity. So what do you think I should do?

I thought my Dr said (a long time ago I cant even remember now) that as long as I had two periods a year, I cannot overdose.

I am almost 48 years old.

And I don't even want to call my Dr and ask because she will probably send me in for yet ANOTHER blood test, which I really want to avoid.

So what says the hive? and thank you!

When I had that problem last year (I'm 42) two things were going on 1. I had fibroids 2. I was severely B-12 deficient. If you're not taking in enough B-12 or you've lost your ability to absorb B-12 or both, it can cause some type of iron deficient anemia.  Fibroids get bigger over time and can cause more severe bleeding. I had one so big it was cutting off the drain to my kidney. It weighed just over a pound.  There were 3 other smaller ones.

So I recommend you see your OB/Gyn for an exam and scan to see what's going on.  Get blood work that specifically looks at your B-12 levels if you haven't already.  I was so low the dr was surprised I could get out of bed.  I had to be on B-12 injections 3 days a week for several weeks, then 2 days a week for several weeks, then one day a week for several weeks and now I get a weekly shot some people feel normal with a a monthly shot and some need it every 2 weeks.  Over the counter supplements can only work if your levels are up to normal.  If you're deficient you have to get up through shots and once it's normal you can either continue with a shot or go to supplements.

Since I was 10 years past having babies and adopted the last one anyway, I opted to have my uterus and cervix removed with a hysterectomy. I still have my ovaries.   One of the fibroids was in my cervix. There's an option for removing just the fibroids, but I preferred being done with periods and fibroids and the small chance of uterine cancer in the future all together. I had robotic surgery so I just had 4 holes in my abdomen.  Sometimes they try it that way and it won't work so they have to make an incision instead, but usually they don't have to.  They told me 3 weeks recovery time, but that's general recovery time, it can take longer the older you are and apparently over 40 counts as older. The general recovery time for incision hysterectomies is 6 weeks, so I have no idea how long that would've taken me to recover.

Since then the quality of my life has dramatically improved.  It was a big hassle, but it was totally worth it.

Hope you get to the bottom if it and find a solution you're comfortable with.

When I had that problem last year (I'm 42) two things were going on 1. I had fibroids 2. I was severely B-12 deficient. If you're not taking in enough B-12 or you've lost your ability to absorb B-12 or both, it can cause some type of iron deficient anemia.  Fibroids get bigger over time and can cause more severe bleeding. I had one so big it was cutting off the drain to my kidney. It weighed just over a pound.  There were 3 other smaller ones.

So I recommend you see your OB/Gyn for an exam and scan to see what's going on.  Get blood work that specifically looks at your B-12 levels if you haven't already.  I was so low the dr was surprised I could get out of bed.  I had to be on B-12 injections 3 days a week for several weeks, then 2 days a week for several weeks, then one day a week for several weeks and now I get a weekly shot some people feel normal with a a monthly shot and some need it every 2 weeks.  Over the counter supplements can only work if your levels are up to normal.  If you're deficient you have to get up through shots and once it's normal you can either continue with a shot or go to supplements.

Since I was 10 years past having babies and adopted the last one anyway, I opted to have my uterus and cervix removed with a hysterectomy. I still have my ovaries.   One of the fibroids was in my cervix. There's an option for removing just the fibroids, but I preferred being done with periods and fibroids and the small chance of uterine cancer in the future all together. I had robotic surgery so I just had 4 holes in my abdomen.  Sometimes they try it that way and it won't work so they have to make an incision instead, but usually they don't have to.  They told me 3 weeks recovery time, but that's general recovery time, it can take longer the older you are and apparently over 40 counts as older. The general recovery time for incision hysterectomies is 6 weeks, so I have no idea how long that would've taken me to recover.

Since then the quality of my life has dramatically improved.  It was a big hassle, but it was totally worth it.

Hope you get to the bottom if it and find a solution you're comfortable with.

I take B-12 and my levels have always been great. I have no absorption issues.

I just had an exam in April, I have no fibroids.

I have had IV iron 5 years ago. But again, since taking this regimen, my levels have been fine. I just do not want to overdose on it.

I just need to know since I have not had my period since May, should I stop the supplements, or maybe just take the pre-natal with the 30mg of iron which I hear is a safe amount to take per day. Or continue with what I am doing for a while longer.

My Vitamin D is perfect.

Def not pregnant

I am not asking about B-12 or Vitamin D.

I am taking prescription iron due to my past history of having heavy periods.Nothing else. I have skipped periods before but never this long.

So what I am asking is since I have not had one since May, I am not sure what to do. Keep taking my normal regimen? Just take the pre-natal? And if I start my period, go back on the iron?

Again, I do not want to overdose.

Thank you :)

If you know your other levels are "perfect," why do you have questions about your iron? Have you had separate (more recent) bloodwork done for those levels?

You should have all those things checked together, if you truly want to reduce the number of times blood must be drawn.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, I just believe no one can give you a safe reply without your being willing to consider that you need some labwork for an accurate answer.

I already had my Hemoglobin tested. It was 12.8. That was in April. I was still getting my period once a month.

My B-12 is fine, my Vitamin D is fine. In the 5 years I have been on iron those have always been good. My ID is due to my periods only.

And I am already taking higher then recommended. As I said, I am taking 324mg of Ferrous Gluconate by script, and pre-natal with 30 mg of iron. But taking all of that has been fine since I was still getting my period once a month. Now I am not. I have not had my period since May 23.

I know there are women out there who take iron for heavy periods, and then start going through the whole skipping of periods as they are nearing menopause. Wondering what these women did. Or what some of you would recommend.

I am not familiar with how long it takes for iron toxicity. I figured I would try and ask here first, thinking someone may have been through the same thing.

Thank you :)

If you know your other levels are "perfect," why do you have questions about your iron? Have you had separate (more recent) bloodwork done for those levels?

You should have all those things checked together, if you truly want to reduce the number of times blood must be drawn.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, I just believe no one can give you a safe reply without your being willing to consider that you need some labwork for an accurate answer.

I am questioning my iron because I skipped my period. Which I am sure I will be doing quite a bit as I near menopause. So if my levels were good when I was getting my period, if I take to much iron and I am not bleeding it out, I do not want to overdose. KWIM??? The iron levels will build unless I bleed. That is what I am asking. Women who do not get their periods should not take iron. But I am not menopausal yet, I am skipping them.

Again, thought someone might have been through this. I understand if the hive can't help.

How are you feeling?  Okay, plenty of energy?  If so, I would consider stopping one of the supplements for awhile.  You can always start taking it again.

I dealt with anemia my entire life until I had a hysterectomy.  Since then I avoid taking any supplemental iron.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get iron overload unless one carries the gene for hemochromatosis.

I am questioning my iron because I skipped my period. Which I am sure I will be doing quite a bit as I near menopause. So if my levels were good when I was getting my period, if I take to much iron and I am not bleeding it out, I do not want to overdose. KWIM??? The iron levels will build unless I bleed. That is what I am asking. Women who do not get their periods should not take iron. But I am not menopausal yet, I am skipping them.

Again, thought someone might have been through this. I understand if the hive can't help.

I understand exactly what you're asking. I'm sorry that you are frustrated by my reply, that the only safe answer will come from a result of new, current blood analysis.

Thank you all for your replies. I was more frustrated with myself because I wasn't sure if I was asking the question correctly. But even though I was iron deficient before I never felt bad. I didn't even know it until I had a random blood test. So I think for now, I will cut down on the Ferrous Gluconate. Keep the prenatal. And if I get my period again I will just resume my regular schedule.

Thank you all so very much :lol:

I've done monthly infusions, synchronized to my cycle, for years. It was topping off what I lost each month, but not helping me build reserves. So I spent six months on birth control pills, during which I halted my cycle.  I then went off of the pills and resumed my cycle, still iron-deficient but much closer to low-normal. I didn't like the pills and wanted off of them, but the original plan was to take them for a year.

After three months without a cycle, we stopped the infusions and did only OTC iron plus a pre-natal.

After six months without a cycle, we halved my OTC iron.

The thought being we wanted to avoid iron toxicity.

So if it were me in your case, I'd probably follow similar guidelines.  I'd halve the prescription after 3-4 months without a cycle, and then eliminate it entirely thereafter unless I had a period. I'd treat the iron in the pre-natal as negligible.

In your place, I do think I would cut down. If the prenatal includes calcium and/or has less absorbable form, I'm not sure I'd make it my iron though. That's tricky!

If I had a period, I'd dose the old levels for that next month I think, then drop back again.

I imagine it's going to be tricky for a while.

I'd probably go ahead and test in 6 months, just to make sure my changes were resulting in good levels.

Sorry, only your doctor can really give you a suggestion in this case.  He will know your medical history and why you need so much iron over so many years. There is no way anyone on the internet can tell you if you iron is at a toxic level or not. You may be wanting to avoid a blood test, but that is the only way to know if it is too high or not.  

You also may need to talk to him to find out if you iron levels can cause the problem you have having.  Just because your levels are high, may not have anything to do with your cycle changes. And on the converse, just because you haven't bled this month, it doesn't mean you levels are at a dangerous level.  It sounds like he already gave you advice on this point, so I don't know if you are questioning his advice or just letting us know what he said.

Thank you all for your replies. I was more frustrated with myself because I wasn't sure if I was asking the question correctly. But even though I was iron deficient before I never felt bad. I didn't even know it until I had a random blood test. So I think for now, I will cut down on the Ferrous Gluconate. Keep the prenatal. And if I get my period again I will just resume my regular schedule.

Thank you all so very much :lol:

Is it possible you are entering perimenopause and that's why you're skipping periods?  Also I don't know what sort of blood work you are having done but I think a hemoglobin test only requires a finger stick, something any doctor's office should be able to do.  I struggle with this too, esp pregnant (9.8 last time!)

I had surgery to remove a single problematic fibroid, and my periods are normal now, lasting 3-4 days.  Before, they were EXCESSIVELY, scary heavy.  Because my periods returned to normal, I cut back on my iron intake dramatically.  That was a mistake.  I was still depleting iron through exercise.  I am now building my iron stores back up with carbonyl iron.  I've read that this is the least toxic iron.