Menu

AP scores are available this week

I didn't mean to step on the congratulations and great scores.  I am happy for everyone.  I just know there has to be someone out there who also is disappointed.  I tend to pop in on these threads so others know they are not alone.  So many superstars on this board (which is fantastic!!) that I like to post and remind people not all our kids are testing stars :)

Thanks for posting this. I think it is important for people to know that not everyone was happy about their test scores. 

My twins got their scores yesterday. My daughter got a 5 in European History, and she was ecstatic. My son got a 2 in Computer Science. He was somewhat shocked by his results. I am not as surprised as he decided to test without accommodations because they were not approved in time. He does qualify for accommodations due to physical disabilities, so it hindered him a great deal not to have them. He knew this going into it, but he really wanted to try anyway. I am proud that he even took the test, but he is somewhat disappointed by the score. 

Congratulations to everyone on their wonderful scores and hugs to anyone dealing with disappointments. 

• Like 13

My son got a 2 in Geography, he got an  A in the course.  He liked the class, thought was well prepared and really knows the subject.  I hope we get the graded test but at this time I think he a) missed questions because he said he had time left over.  Unfortunately we did not get the report from his neuro psych evaluation in time to apply for accommodations and with processing speed in the 3rd percentile I dare say there is no way he answered all 75 questions with time to spare.  b) His handwriting is also illegible and he feels he has done well on the response part.  My inkling is that the grader could not read his answers.

On the other hand, he is used to doing well, especially on tests and while he is out and down about it, he agreed that tomorrow is another day and while it is disappointing, this one test does not define him as a person and what counts is what he learned during the course.  He did very well on his PSAT, he received a perfect score on the NLE 1 and 2 exam, this helped him to put things into perspective.  Right after our move I will apply for accommodations and hopefully future tests will go better.  Like Jilly, I am proud he tried without accommodations and will not let this be the end.

• Like 13

I think it is so easy to see a lower than desired or hoped for or expected score and think, "I failed; I am a failure."

I know that as mom and teacher, I fight these feelings in my own head, even when I know they aren't based on reality.

AP scores are nothing more than a snapshot of what a student can display about a given curricular framework on a given subject at a particular point in time.  They may be a good measure of knowledge and skill or they may not be.  The course may be a growth experience or it may be something they gutted through.

They really aren't a measure of the goodness or value of the students as people.  (As hard as it can be to remember that.)

FWIW,  I interview students for my alma mater.  I talk to many students with As and Bs in courses and 1-2s on the exams.  I think if you look at score distributions, often 1/3 of students taking the test score below a 3.  Again, these are often good students and good people.

• Like 9

DS first try at AP: English Lang - 4, Physics 1 - 3.  He was disappointed with the 3 at first, but we found out that 67% scored below 3 on the Physics 1 exam, so then he hidn't feel too bad  :lol: .  He did learn much from and worked hard at both classes, so I'm satisfied.  He hates writing so is especially thrilled that his English score would get him out of freshman comp at the schools he's looking at!

• Like 6

DD (11th):

Art History: 5

APUSH: 5

DS (12th):

APUSH: 5

Lit. & Comp.: 5

Chem: 2 - super disappointed, but I'm proud of him for taking it. He hated the class, teacher, everything! He learned a ton, just didn't test well.

Hi Nancy,

Can you tell me where he took the Chemistry class?  My daughter is signed up for AP Chemistry next year, but am not sure about the teacher.

Thanks, Judy

My 15 year-old daughter (sophomore) did AP French and AP Biology, and got 5s on both of them.  In case anyone is wondering, we did French at home and skyped with a tutor in France twice a week.  AP Biology was with Terri Kanner of Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.  Highly recommend her course.

• Like 5

Judy, my daughter was also in Kanner's AP Bio class this year! She received a 5 as well.

She also got a 5 in Music Theory and English Lang this year, both through PA Homeschoolers. The MT instructor was Makin, and Lang was Inspektor.

She added additional prep from a prep book (we like the "5 Steps to a 5" books) for MT and Bio. It really wasn't necessary for Eng Lang.

• Like 5

Hi Nancy,

Can you tell me where he took the Chemistry class?  My daughter is signed up for AP Chemistry next year, but am not sure about the teacher.

Thanks, Judy

Hi Judy,

He took it locally at a charter school in town. The teacher was just out of college and just didn't quite have her wits about her. :-) Good luck to your daughter.

• Like 1

Judy, my daughter was also in Kanner's AP Bio class this year! She received a 5 as well.

She also got a 5 in Music Theory and English Lang this year, both through PA Homeschoolers. The MT instructor was Makin, and Lang was Inspektor.

She added additional prep from a prep book (we like the "5 Steps to a 5" books) for MT and Bio. It really wasn't necessary for Eng Lang.

Congratulations on her 5s!  Interestingly, this coming school year, my daughter is taking AP Music Theory with Makin, and also AP Eng Language with Inspektor (well, we signed up late so we are technically with her section teacher, Ms Baert. :)  

I'm sure my daughter would love to know who your daughter is!  I will give a hint: my daughter's name starts with an H. :)

That IS interesting.  I will say this about Music Theory:  my daughter (Clare, btw :-) ) did feel like she needed to do some prep outside of class to really be ready for the test.  Just keep that in mind, and consider getting an official prep book. No additional prep needed for Eng Lang!

• Like 1

Your daughter is Clare!  Hailey says hi. :)  Is Clare taking any other classes through PA Homeschoolers this next school year?

I think Dr. Kanner's Biology class did very well overall, especially considering that only 6 percent of test takers got 5s.  Hailey keeps in sporadic contact with a few of the other students, and two of them got 5s and one got a 4.

Thanks for the info regarding Music Theory.  Can you recommend a study guide?  Does Clare participate in something like Certificate of Merit or the Royal Conservatory of Music? I'm wondering because I'm hoping that by participating, it does help make the class a little easier ;)

• 8 months later...

That IS interesting.  I will say this about Music Theory:  my daughter (Clare, btw :-) ) did feel like she needed to do some prep outside of class to really be ready for the test.  Just keep that in mind, and consider getting an official prep book. No additional prep needed for Eng Lang!

Also finding that the additional prep book is necessary...  Thanks for the recommendation.