Menu

AP scores are available this week

Today 7/6---scores for students from the Northeast and the MidAtlantic regions

I am so happy for dd :party: 5 on her first AP, Human Geography! (And I am thrilled personally because I designed the course, wrote the syllabus, and received approval from CB to list it on her transcript :D)

• Like 27

Great news here!  I just emailed him - he is in Japan and can't get access to it.

Luckymama, big congrats to you!  You definitely deserve a pat on the back.  

Ds took four exams and received a 4 on Human Geography, which surprised him, as he thought he'd get a 5.  It didn't surprise me - he self-studied for all and was much more focused on his math and science courses.

Best wishes as the scores trickle in this week!

• Like 15

Yes, I was surprised that the scores were up before 8 am this morning. We're happy with two of his three scores. The third we knew might be an issue. DS needs to decide if he wants to do more work next year and retake, or to live with the score as is (it's a 3).

• Like 10

Today 7/6---scores for students from the Northeast and the MidAtlantic regions

I am so happy for dd :party: 5 on her first AP, Human Geography! (And I am thrilled personally because I designed the course, wrote the syllabus, and received approval from CB to list it on her syllabus :D)

Ah, the rewards of doing it your way, eh Luckymama? ;)

Seriously, congratulations to both of you. I have to wait until Thursday. Grrr. I say "I" because I am fairly sure AP scores are the last thing Sailor Dude is thinking about as he was touring the Alhambra yesterday.

Before leaving for Spain, he mentioned Arabic for this year. Yes, another case of whiplash and I told I know just the woman to talk to.

What's on for APs this coming year?

• Like 5

Dd got her scores - 4 for Spanish and 3 for Bio.

What should I do with a 3?  She ended up self-studying for it at the end, and was not engaged.  I'm sure she would have aced it easily if she'd had a class with discussion and labs. Sigh. 

Does a 3 look good, bad, or indifferent?  And if I decided not to report it, do I have to pay to have it deleted, or can I just ask that they send her 'good' AP scores (Spanish and German)?

• Like 5

Dd got her scores - 4 for Spanish and 3 for Bio.

What should I do with a 3?  She ended up self-studying for it at the end, and was not engaged.  I'm sure she would have aced it easily if she'd had a class with discussion and labs. Sigh. 

Does a 3 look good, bad, or indifferent?  And if I decided not to report it, do I have to pay to have it deleted, or can I just ask that they send her 'good' AP scores (Spanish and German)?

I just checked the AP Bio teacher's forum, and it looks like the score distribution was:  

5:  6.2%

4:  22%

3:  35.9%

2:  27.6%

1:  8.3%

So she was in good company with a 3.  When they revised AP bio, they decided that instead of any kind of scaled score, the student would have to obtain a certain raw score to get a 5, a 4, etc.  That has made it very difficult to obtain a 5, even for those students in good classes, since it is not a comparison with other students taking the exam, either high schoolers or college students.  It does look like a bell curve this year, though.  I haven't heard anything about them changing the grading, but then again, I really didn't read the forums at all this past year, since I didn't teach AP bio last year.  Still--it'a a hard test.  I don't know what to do about reporting, though.  The teachers don't talk about that in the forums!

• Like 5

I think this depends on the colleges she is applying to. Some colleges will give credit for a 3 and are happy to get kids that got 3s on AP exams. Highly competitive colleges might frown on a 3, in the least they would not be impressed.

Waiting one more day for scores here.

• Like 4

Ah, the rewards of doing it your way, eh Luckymama? ;)

Seriously, congratulations to both of you. I have to wait until Thursday. Grrr. I say "I" because I am fairly sure AP scores are the last thing Sailor Dude is thinking about as he was touring the Alhambra yesterday.

Before leaving for Spain, he mentioned Arabic for this year. Yes, another case of whiplash and I told I know just the woman to talk to.

What's on for APs this coming year?

:lol:

We are two peas in a pod, shaking our little selves at the two wacko peas in the adjacent twisted pod!

I'm available for Arabic questions ;)

Up ahead for dd in AP-land: comparative gov and politics (she is so excited!), environmental (ditto), psych (yep, that too), calc AB (mellow), English language and comp (not looking forward to it with great anticipation--outsourced because I am not masochistic).

• Like 3

Well some people may have problems with this or not but if you really don't want to wait, here is one option for you. 

Note this will only work today July 6th (you would have to pick different locations based on the regions open for a different day).

We have a similar dilemma here...

It looks like there is no fee to cancel a score, but you need to send in a form by June 15th. There is no going back on this - it sounds like it get completely deleted from their system.

There is also an option to withhold a score from being sent to a college. This does have a fee, but the score will stay on file.

• Like 1

I just checked the AP Bio teacher's forum, and it looks like the score distribution was:  

5:  6.2%

4:  22%

3:  35.9%

2:  27.6%

1:  8.3%

So she was in good company with a 3.  When they revised AP bio, they decided that instead of any kind of scaled score, the student would have to obtain a certain raw score to get a 5, a 4, etc.  That has made it very difficult to obtain a 5, even for those students in good classes, since it is not a comparison with other students taking the exam, either high schoolers or college students.  It does look like a bell curve this year, though.  I haven't heard anything about them changing the grading, but then again, I really didn't read the forums at all this past year, since I didn't teach AP bio last year.  Still--it'a a hard test.  I don't know what to do about reporting, though.  The teachers don't talk about that in the forums!

Does anyone know if other score distributions are up?

Today is the day, but all we get at the College Board is:

Please try again later

Because many students are logging in to get their AP scores right now, our system is experiencing delays and we're unable to display your scores at the moment. Please try again later today. Thank you for your patience!

:cursing:  :svengo:

I hate the College Board.  Possibly, I have mentioned that before.  This whole staggered release drives me batty.  Upgrade your systems or provide alternatives, CB, instead of putting students through this every year.

Congrats to those who have received good scores.  My daughter's one score (that feels so weird--this is the first year since seventh grade that she's only had one AP exam) should be available tomorrow unless the CB's website gets tired and needs to prop its feet up for a while (as apparently happened today).

• Like 7

Congrats and good luck to everyone's children!

My son sat for six exams and did very well except for Latin. He needed a 5 to get foreign language credit at his university but didn't quite make it. So close yet so far away. He can still place out when he takes the university's placement exam in 3 weeks but I'm not holding my breath.

So glad AP exams are over!

• Like 13

I tried this several times yesterday.  Why did it not work for me???

I was hoping it would work for others too! Dh suggested they would have a separate mobile site and the traffic loads would be unrelated. Maybe first thing in the morning computers are the heaviest traffic (more parent traffic)and later in the day cell phones are (students). Just a guess.

Two 5's  - yay!!!!

She took the exam for Human Geo and English Lang.

I'm especially relieved about her Eng. Lang score because she didn't take a class at all - she decided last minute to prep and take it. 

She worked through and prepped for Art History but we lost our test site.  Oh well!

• Like 12

Good news here too!  My oldest 2 (senior and sophomore) sons took the same 3 AP exams this year--world history, macro, and lit.  All 3 were taken at our little high school co-op, and in fact one lady taught both lit and macro (although she will never do it again, LOL).  She has a PhD in economics, so that wasn't such a big challenge, but she spent so much time on lit, since that is not her background at. all.  (Her son was the one who really wanted lit.)  I am thrilled with how the boys did--neither of them are literature people either!

Macro--5, 5

World history--5, 4

Lit--4, 4

• Like 11

Good news at the Guheert household, as well! :001_smile:

DS17 got his usual 5's this year (although Chemistry was pretty iffy!):  Chemistry and English Language and Composition

DS15 and DD13 each took their first AP test this year:  AP Computer Science A.  Each came away with a 4!

• Like 11

Sailor Dude survived:

English Literature - 4

Statistics - 4

Macroeconomics - 4

Biology  - 3

He's going to be bummed about the Bio score because he put so much blood, sweat, and tears into that class. Thankfully, he took the SAT Subject tests for both Bio and Lit and had very respectable scores.

• Like 13

Sailor Dude survived:

English Literature - 4

Statistics - 4

Macroeconomics - 4

Biology - 3

He's going to be bummed about the Bio score because he put so much blood, sweat, and tears into that class. Thankfully, he took the SAT Subject tests for both Bio and Lit and had very respectable scores.

I have not spent much time on CC lately, but I believe there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the bio exam scores this year. Sailor Dude has plenty of company, if that is any comfort.

• Like 3

I have not spent much time on CC lately, but I believe there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the bio exam scores this year. Sailor Dude has plenty of company, if that is any comfort.

I'll pass that along. On one of the teacher ratings sites, the comments for his teacher ran along the lines of the AP exam seeming to be much easier than Mr. I's exams.  Several of the kids were saying the same thing after this year's exam so I will be interested to hear how that class did as a whole.

I am pretty happy with that three, which seems weird when I see all the fives on here, but I know how hard ds studied for it; that he acquired new study skills that will be critical for college; and that he actually really enjoyed the subject. He knows what it means to go all out in the pool; he's still learning how to do that academically. That bio class was a big boost in lighting a fire under his backside. Actually, I am really pleased with the outcome of all of his AP classes. Advanced Placement may have it's drawbacks, but Sailor Dude certainly hasn't been bored, nor can he coast by like he was doing with some of the other classes he took at the ps.

It's great to see how well everyone's students have done and that several of those who self-studied did equally as well.

• Like 8

I could have sworn I just posted this, so if this shows up twice, I'll come back and delete one of them.

Anyhow, my daughter was able to use one of the proxy server substitutes (that wouldn't work on my laptop) and made a 5 on American government, her last AP ever.  She has been taking APs since seventh grade and will be DE full-time for her senior year, so this was it for her.  Bittersweet for me; just sweet for her.  I think she's taken 10 or 11 AP exams and has made 5s on all; she has taken two AP classes for which she didn't take the exam:  American lit, because she already had a 5 on the English language exam, and most schools do not give credit for both; and comparative government, because she did not feel prepared.  It's been a good run!

• Like 11

Congrads on all the AP scores.  How exciting!

If you want to know what schools will take the AP score your dc received, I have a great site for you.  Check out Noodle.com.  This is an excellent site to find out tons of great information about a college you are considering.  You can put your dc's ACT or SAT score into the site and it will give you what colleges/universities they qualify for.  Also, you can put in other information to narrow down your choices.  The best feature, I like, is the 25%-75% range of acceptance.  I could go on with more but I think you will see what I mean when you explore the site.

https://www.noodle.com/

When you go to site, Click on Education A-Z at top left of page, a drop down box will appear, click on search colleges.  From there, you can either put in parameters (left side) or just type in the college name.  Tons of cool information on the college, including AP scores they accept in each category. :patriot:

• Like 5

Congrads on all the AP scores.  How exciting!

If you want to know what schools will take the AP score your dc received, I have a great site for you.  Check out Noodle.com.  This is an excellent site to find out tons of great information about a college you are considering.  You can put your dc's ACT or SAT score into the site and it will give you what colleges/universities they qualify for.  Also, you can put in other information to narrow down your choices.  The best feature, I like, is the 25%-75% range of acceptance.  I could go on with more but I think you will see what I mean when you explore the site.

https://www.noodle.com/

When you go to site, Click on Education A-Z at top left of page, a drop down box will appear, click on search colleges.  From there, you can either put in parameters (left side) or just type in the college name.  Tons of cool information on the college, including AP scores they accept in each category. :patriot:

I think the search at College Confidential is the most manipulatable that I've found so far.  I like that you can rate how important each factor is.  It also lets you control more variables.  It was really helpful to us because you could select ROTC by service in the organizations field.  (Though that left service academies out because they don't have ROTC.)

• Like 4

DS received his scores today. AP Calc AB 5, AP Physics C Mechanics 4, and AP Physics C E&M 3. I think he was a bit disappointed with the 3 because he aced the practice exams, including the final in his class. But he thought this test was more difficult than previous tests. He is taking 3 AP tests next year, and is already starting on AP Biology homework!!

• Like 13

Yep, I checked before 8 this morning and the results were available.

For those looking for scores today (or tomorrow or Friday), I actively checked the scores yesterday morning to try to determine what time they REALLY become available. Yesterday the results were turned on right at 7:30 AM EDT, or 30 minutes prior to the officially-announced time.

I was glad I got the scores for our three students at that time since it was getting difficult to log in by about 7:50 AM.

So if you are expecting scores today I recommend you try just after 7:30 AM.

• Like 3

For those looking for scores today (or tomorrow or Friday), I actively checked the scores yesterday morning to try to determine what time they REALLY become available. Yesterday the results were turned on right at 7:30 AM EDT, or 30 minutes prior to the officially-announced time.

I was glad I got the scores for our three students at that time since it was getting difficult to log in by about 7:50 AM.

So if you are expecting scores today I recommend you try just after 7:30 AM.

I just check at 7:24 and was able to see our score.  My aspie kid got a 4 in Environmental Science!!! I'm bouncing off the walls. :hurray:

• Like 12

Well, I had to *beg* my son to take a look at his scores. He has absolutely ZILCH interest in these types of things...drives his poor momma batty, that's for sure. He said that breakfast was "more important". lol!

Anyway, Chemistry 5 and Eng. Lang. 4. Pretty much what we expected. 

Congratulations to everyone!! 

• Like 11

Congratulations! !!

I just printed up the score cancellation form. Just wanted to share that in case anyone else is in that boat ;)

Do you need to cancel?

I wasn't planning to send official scores to any schools except where ds plans to attend and is wanting credit.

Or do AP scores get reported with SAT scores?

I don't know, really, if it is absolutely necessary to cancel. Just felt like the right thing to erase the whole thing from our memories. Lol.

Hugs.  That must be frustrating.  

I think the cancellation requests have to be sent in June, before the exams are scored.  It is possible to withhold a score, but CB charges for this.

I have always figured that there were lots of students who took AP classes, but didn't score well on the exam.  That isn't a sign that the student didn't learn a lot or that they weren't a good student.   Unless you are applying for a highly selective school where a low AP score would be a problem, I wouldn't pay CB more just to withhold the score.

Spend the money on some smoothies or a good banana split.  

FWIW, when you register for the AP exam, you don't have to list any schools as receiving the free report.  You will have to pay to send reports later, but at least that gives you a window to see the score and decide exactly where you want it to go.  The only schools that you really NEED to send scores to are schools where you are asking for credit based on the exam or schools that use AP scores to meet admissions requirements (like the UC Admission by Exam path for meeting A-G requirements).  

• Like 3

Hugs.  That must be frustrating.  

I think the cancellation requests have to be sent in June, before the exams are scored.  It is possible to withhold a score, but CB charges for this.

I have always figured that there were lots of students who took AP classes, but didn't score well on the exam.  That isn't a sign that the student didn't learn a lot or that they weren't a good student.   Unless you are applying for a highly selective school where a low AP score would be a problem, I wouldn't pay CB more just to withhold the score.

Spend the money on some smoothies or a good banana split.  

FWIW, when you register for the AP exam, you don't have to list any schools as receiving the free report.  You will have to pay to send reports later, but at least that gives you a window to see the score and decide exactly where you want it to go.  The only schools that you really NEED to send scores to are schools where you are asking for credit based on the exam or schools that use AP scores to meet admissions requirements (like the UC Admission by Exam path for meeting A-G requirements).  

You can cancel a score if you didn't put the college on the form for the free report.  It is free and can be done at anytime.  At least that is what the form we filled out said.  It just deletes that it was taken.  

I don't think it really matters, ultimately.  DS will use ACT scores, not SAT scores anyway so there won't be a report going out anywhere unless he wants to send the ones he has not cancelled somewhere to request credit.  One was self study so no one would even know AP was attempted.  The other was with an approved class and is listed as AP on the transcipt so admissions would be left to wonder whether he didn't pass or just didn't take the test.  I am not terribly worried.  He was not going for highly selective schools.  We had all kinds of drama during test week ( and he had two dual enrollment finals as well as the 3 APs).  If I had know how our life was going to play out in the spring we would have never signed up to even attempt them.

So, disappointing, but not a huge deal.  I don't think it will impact any admissions decisions or even much credit to be honest.  It is just never fun to fail. But, I have never been opposed to my kids experiencing some failure along the way, either.  

• Like 1

You can cancel a score if you didn't put the college on the form for the free report.  It is free and can be done at anytime.  At least that is what the form we filled out said.  It just deletes that it was taken.  

I don't think it really matters, ultimately.  DS will use ACT scores, not SAT scores anyway so there won't be a report going out anywhere unless he wants to send the ones he has not cancelled somewhere to request credit.  One was self study so no one would even know AP was attempted.  The other was with an approved class and is listed as AP on the transcipt so admissions would be left to wonder whether he didn't pass or just didn't take the test.  I am not terribly worried.  He was not going for highly selective schools.  We had all kinds of drama during test week ( and he had two dual enrollment finals as well as the 3 APs).  If I had know how our life was going to play out in the spring we would have never signed up to even attempt them.

So, disappointing, but not a huge deal.  I don't think it will impact any admissions decisions or even much credit to be honest.  It is just never fun to fail. But, I have never been opposed to my kids experiencing some failure along the way, either.  

I like your attitude and agree with Sebastian that maybe sundaes are in order.  I am also sorry that it was a rough spring. :grouphug: 

My daughter took both classes with PA homeschoolers in 10th.

Psych 4

U.S. Gov 4

She is bummed especially about Psych bc score distributions showed a lot of 5s and she thought she got one. Did on every class practice test too. The school admin lost her paperwork the morning of the test and found it 10 min late. Her nerves were shot but she thought she did well anyway. She really wanted 5s to give her an edge for scholarships etc, but we know she gets credit at least.

• Like 9

I like your attitude and agree with Sebastian that maybe sundaes are in order.  I am also sorry that it was a rough spring. :grouphug: 

Sundaes sound good!!  While disappointed, we are okay.  The point of the courses was always to learn the content and be stretched, never to get college credit.  Figured that was a wild card even if he passed the tests.

One result was shocking.  He was hoping for a 5 and had done that on practice tests, and got a 2!  The other one was more expected.  

I didn't mean to step on the congratulations and great scores.  I am happy for everyone.  I just know there has to be someone out there who also is disappointed.  I tend to pop in on these threads so others know they are not alone.  So many superstars on this board (which is fantastic!!) that I like to post and remind people not all our kids are testing stars :)

• Like 13

One result was shocking.  He was hoping for a 5 and had done that on practice tests, and got a 2!  The other one was more expected.

Wow!  That is shocking!  :eek: Do you mind saying what test that was?  And where the practice tests came from?

I didn't mean to step on the congratulations and great scores.  I am happy for everyone.  I just know there has to be someone out there who also is disappointed.  I tend to pop in on these threads so others know they are not alone.  So many superstars on this board (which is fantastic!!) that I like to post and remind people not all our kids are testing stars :)

Thank you for saying this.  Brag alerts are a LOT easier to type than discussions of disappointed testers.  We have two children who only ever got 5s, but we now have three others who have to work harder and still end up with 3s and 4s.  And we have two more who have never taken any APs.  (No 2s or 1s so far.)  But we certainly had two students in DS17's AP CS A course who were likely to end up with 1s or 2s.  I'm sure they are disappointed.

I hope your son is not too disappointed. :grouphug:

If you don't mind, I'm think I'm going to show your post to my daughter who has been whining over a 4 for over a day now...  :glare:

• Like 4