Menu

Couch-to-5K: July 5-11

Eagle

C25k: July 5-11  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts finished

LavenderGirl is on vacation, so I'm getting this new week up and running (literally!).

If you have been thinking about joining but haven't taken the plunge yet, come on in and join us! It is not too late to start.

I wish everyone an exhilarating week of running, walking, and getting off the couch.

• Like 5

I am happy to report that I successfully returned to running this morning. I started over at week 1. It felt so good to be running again. It was way easier doing week 1 day 1 this time around. I have a routine in place with my apps and music -- I never felt compelled to look at the time.

My ankle felt a bit odd the rest of the morning, but it was fine later in the day. This time I am going to take my days of rest in between workouts so I don't overdo it.

• Like 6

I just did Week 5 Day 1. Every day of Week 5 is different, and it ramps up pretty fast! I haven't decided for sure yet, but I suspect I'll be repeating Day 1 all week. I'm not sure my ankle can take more than that right now. It was feeling fine before my run, but started hurting during and still hurts now. So I'll just have to play it by ear and see how it's feeling on Wednesday morning.

• Like 6

Finished w5d1. I liked this better than last week. The runs were longer, but so was the recovery time which worked better for me. I also liked having less runs, just three. Still, if I wasn't meeting my neighbor, I think I'd hit the snooze and roll over. I'm glad once I get out, but getting out is still tough.

• Like 7

Ack! Just looked into the future when I read your post. Day 2 seems kind of manageable, but day 3- 20 min straight! No way I think I'm ready for that. That's a huge leap! I'm only getting through the 5 minute runs because I get 3 minutes off! This will be interesting.

I just did Week 5 Day 1. Every day of Week 5 is different, and it ramps up pretty fast! I haven't decided for sure yet, but I suspect I'll be repeating Day 1 all week. I'm not sure my ankle can take more than that right now. It was feeling fine before my run, but started hurting during and still hurts now. So I'll just have to play it by ear and see how it's feeling on Wednesday morning.

• Like 5

Ack! Just looked into the future when I read your post. Day 2 seems kind of manageable, but day 3- 20 min straight! No way I think I'm ready for that. That's a huge leap! I'm only getting through the 5 minute runs because I get 3 minutes off! This will be interesting.

I know - it's brutal! But I noticed that the first day of week 6 kind of drops back down again, to shorter intervals instead of one long run, and then ramps up to one long run again by the end of the week. So, maybe not so bad? I don't know. Maybe pretty bad. :lol:

• Like 3

You gals who have moved ahead each week are scaring me. I feel barely able to do the week 3 runs, so the talk about the weeks 5 & 6 runs sounds :blink: to me.

:blushing:

:laugh:

I've been scared every single week of what I was supposed to do that week! :lol: Honestly, I'm shocked I haven't had to repeat yet, but this week is going to change that anyway.

• Like 4

I'm really concerned about your ankle. You could be headed towards a tendinitis-type injury, which could take a long time to heal. One thing to try could be wrapping it with a tensor bandage for your run, then icing it when you get home.

Don't overdo it!

• Like 1

I did not need to know this! That is the beauty of jumping into these programs without research or planning. I looked at the first week and thought, "I can actually do this!". If I read that far ahead I might not have started. Eek!

• Like 3

I'm really concerned about your ankle. You could be headed towards a tendinitis-type injury, which could take a long time to heal. One thing to try could be wrapping it with a tensor bandage for your run, then icing it when you get home.

Don't overdo it!

Thank you so much for your concern! I'm really not sure what to do. It's just a twinge, not really even an outright pain. So it's probably nothing, but I am afraid of it getting worse. I appreciate your advice. :grouphug:

• Like 2

I did not need to know this! That is the beauty of jumping into these programs without research or planning. I looked at the first week and thought, "I can actually do this!". If I read that far ahead I might not have started. Eek!

I only got curious because of Greta said for what the rest of this week holds! Otherwise I do not look ahead! For the same reasons you cited :). But I'm okay with knowing current week. In fact I think I'm kind of glad I won't be shocked on Friday when it says jog 20 minutes and I was expecting only 5 or 8. I have time to mentally prepare!

• Like 4

You gals who have moved ahead each week are scaring me. I feel barely able to do the week 3 runs, so the talk about the weeks 5 & 6 runs sounds :blink: to me.

:blushing:

:laugh:

I feel like that each week! You should see me heaving to breathe and the sweat pouring off. But I like moving forward. Sometimes I just don't want to repeat a bad week, so I take a chance on the next :)

• Like 4

Week 5 day 1 done. The last 5 minute run was mostly uphill so it wasn't pretty but I did it.

I wasn't sure how today would go. I didn't do weeks 3 or 4. I wasn't feeling well the 3rd week and just didn't have the motivation the 4th week. I decided to jump back in with week 5 because weeks 1 and 2 weren't that difficult (I wasn't even sore). Five minutes didn't seem all that long so I decided to give it a try. I'm excited that I could do it. I'm a little nervous about day 3 though!

• Like 5

I did w5d1, but I think I need to stop looking ahead. It's getting scary. I haven't had to repeat anything yet, and I will give it my all. But I don't know if I'm going to make it on day 3. Hopefully I'll surprise myself! :)

• Like 4

I did it, I did it, I did it! I did Week 5 Day 2! The 8-minute intervals! I'm so excited, because when we started this, I really wouldn't have believed that I could run for 8 minutes straight without chest pains or gasping for air! But I did!

Trying very hard to just savor the moment, and not think about the 20-minute run on Friday! :lol:

• Like 6

I did it, I did it, I did it! I did Week 5 Day 2! The 8-minute intervals! I'm so excited, because when we started this, I really wouldn't have believed that I could run for 8 minutes straight without chest pains or gasping for air! But I did!

Trying very hard to just savor the moment, and not think about the 20-minute run on Friday! :lol:

I'm so proud of you! It sounds so daunting.

Everyone is doing such a fabulous job at this. Start planning to find and register for a 5k event!

• Like 2

I'm so proud of you! It sounds so daunting.

Everyone is doing such a fabulous job at this. Start planning to find and register for a 5k event!

Thank you so much! I forgot to report on my ankle. My left ankle is the one that has been bothering me. It now feels fine, and my right ankle is hurting a bit. So I'm thinking that these are just some normal "growing pains" that I'm going to have to get through as my ankles work to get strong enough to handle all of this. I will definitely try to go easy on them - not do anything pounding on my non-running days, take an extra day to rest between runs if I need to, etc. I'll keep doing the foot circle exercises, too. Beyond that, is there anything else I should do?

• Like 2

well done. I just finished w5d2 as well today, but I was breathing hard. And tempted to stop 5 minutes into the second run. I could really feel my legs starting to drag. But we did it! A little concerned though my running partner is out of town Friday and Monday. Wonder if we should try for thursday night? Or too soon?

• Like 6

well done. I just finished w5d2 as well today, but I was breathing hard. And tempted to stop 5 minutes into the second run. I could really feel my legs starting to drag. But we did it! A little concerned though my running partner is out of town Friday and Monday. Wonder if we should try for thursday night? Or too soon?

Congrats!

Oh, believe me, I was breathing hard too! Running slowly, but heart racing and breathing hard! It's funny (have to laugh instead of cry, right?) when people pass me on the trails and they are running twice as fast yet only breathing half as hard! They're taking these huge strides, and practically gliding along, making it look so effortless. And here I am, shuffling along at a snail's pace, yet beet-red, sweaty, and panting. :lol: I'm pitiful, but I just keep telling myself that I'm less pitiful now than when I wasn't running at all.

I think that Thursday night would give you enough recovery time, as long as you haven't been having any particular issues (pain?). But I also think there's no harm in waiting, if that's what would be better for you.

• Like 2

Well I am behind again this week! Just did week 5 day 1 today. I think I will be okay for day 2 not sure about the 20 minutes on day 3.

Greta, have you tried tying your shoes with a loop lacing lock? It can help give your ankles a bit more stability without having the laces too tight for your feet.

• Like 5

I tried w5d2 today, but 3 minutes in I tripped, scraped myself up, and smashed my son's iPod screen. Ugh. I just walked back home. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow. Now to go looking on eBay for a junky old iPod to replace the junky old iPod I broke.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I forgot to report on my ankle. My left ankle is the one that has been bothering me. It now feels fine, and my right ankle is hurting a bit. So I'm thinking that these are just some normal "growing pains" that I'm going to have to get through as my ankles work to get strong enough to handle all of this. I will definitely try to go easy on them - not do anything pounding on my non-running days, take an extra day to rest between runs if I need to, etc. I'll keep doing the foot circle exercises, too. Beyond that, is there anything else I should do?

Here's the advice my marathon friend gave me:

You aren't trying to win a 5k, you are trying to complete it. There is no time-to-beat on your first race. Your body isn't used to this and you have a ton of muscles that are not used to running and need to be trained so they will be strong to avoid injury. The goal is to be able to run the race, and getting injured will prevent that, so go slow and take baby steps. Literally. When running, take small steps. It may look weird. Who cares? When walking, walk slowly and take normal strides. Don't try to power race walk. The goal of the walk portion is to lower your heart rate as fast as possible. Take the time to pay attention to your walk stride to ensure you aren't turning your feet in some odd way (she thinks this is how I hurt my ankle -- during the walk portion). Watch where you step so you can avoid uneven and sloped ground. Stick to sidewalks, level paths, or the center of the road lane on quiet streets (to avoid the slope at the edge). The days between runs are for resting your muscles. They need time to recover because you are pushing them on your run days. Give them time off or they will get injured.

Yes, she gave me quite a lecture. :) But she was right that I was trying to do too much because I was just so excited that I was running at all. I was power-walking all the walk phases and I noticed that my stride was really weird when doing this. She says that when her group trains, their walk phases are barely above meandering in pace. I did not realize you were supposed to get your heart rate down. I was trying to keep my heart rate elevated for burning more calories. Apparently there is more to this running than I ever knew!

I hope your ankles do better for your next run.

• Like 5

I tried w5d2 today, but 3 minutes in I tripped, scraped myself up, and smashed my son's iPod screen. Ugh. I just walked back home. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow. Now to go looking on eBay for a junky old iPod to replace the junky old iPod I broke.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are ok.

I have talked with a lot of runners lately and every one of them has stories of injuries and falls and various accidents. Apparently this is an extreme sport!

• Like 1

I tried w5d2 today, but 3 minutes in I tripped, scraped myself up, and smashed my son's iPod screen. Ugh. I just walked back home. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow. Now to go looking on eBay for a junky old iPod to replace the junky old iPod I broke.

Oh no -- I'm so sorry! I'm sorry to hear about the iPod. I dropped mine not long ago, and while it still works, there's this strange blob on the screen that is now permanent. It's very aggravating. But what's more important is, are YOU okay?

• Like 2

Here's the advice my marathon friend gave me:

You aren't trying to win a 5k, you are trying to complete it. There is no time-to-beat on your first race. Your body isn't used to this and you have a ton of muscles that are not used to running and need to be trained so they will be strong to avoid injury. The goal is to be able to run the race, and getting injured will prevent that, so go slow and take baby steps. Literally. When running, take small steps. It may look weird. Who cares? When walking, walk slowly and take normal strides. Don't try to power race walk. The goal of the walk portion is to lower your heart rate as fast as possible. Take the time to pay attention to your walk stride to ensure you aren't turning your feet in some odd way (she thinks this is how I hurt my ankle -- during the walk portion). Watch where you step so you can avoid uneven and sloped ground. Stick to sidewalks, level paths, or the center of the road lane on quiet streets (to avoid the slope at the edge). The days between runs are for resting your muscles. They need time to recover because you are pushing them on your run days. Give them time off or they will get injured.

Yes, she gave me quite a lecture. :) But she was right that I was trying to do too much because I was just so excited that I was running at all. I was power-walking all the walk phases and I noticed that my stride was really weird when doing this. She says that when her group trains, their walk phases are barely above meandering in pace. I did not realize you were supposed to get your heart rate down. I was trying to keep my heart rate elevated for burning more calories. Apparently there is more to this running than I ever knew!

I hope your ankles do better for your next run.

Wow, this is very interesting. Thank you for sharing this! It's a very different approach from the "no pain, no gain" mantra that we seem to hear much more often. Far gentler. And that is an interesting point about getting your heart rate to come down. I wish I had measured at the beginning. It would be interesting to see if it would be less now, doing the same amount of work. But I don't know how long something like that takes - maybe it's too soon.

• Like 3

W2D2 done - it's been rather cool here lately which makes for pleasant running.

So sorry to hear about the fall/iPod, PIE!

That sounds like great advice, Eagle! I can understand the excitement, too. I could definitely keep going and I'd love to go more often, but have to remind myself that if the foot pain comes back, I'll never make it to the 5K and that's definitely my goal.

Slow and steady sounds so lackluster, but it's working for sure. :)

• Like 4

I tried w5d2 today, but 3 minutes in I tripped, scraped myself up, and smashed my son's iPod screen. Ugh. I just walked back home. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow. Now to go looking on eBay for a junky old iPod to replace the junky old iPod I broke.

Yikes!  Sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay.

• Like 2

Week 1 day 3 complete again!

Slow and steady. It's funny, because I hear that phrase used all the time here about homeschooling. Also, "It's a marathon, not a sprint". And now there is a WTM running group and we are all needing to be told the same running metaphors that we already know, except this time they are actually about running!

• Like 3

W5D2 complete. I've started C25k multiple times over the last 5 years and I think this is the farthest I've made it into the program. I'm pretty excited about. Over halfway seems like nearly done!

A few years ago I was able to run 20 minutes after a round of Insanity but I lost that quickly. I was in my best shape ever after doing Insanity and I am super excited to be so close to that fitness level again. I'm also a little terrified of trying to run 20 whole minutes on Saturday. I hope I can do it!

• Like 5

W5D2 complete. I've started C25k multiple times over the last 5 years and I think this is the farthest I've made it into the program. I'm pretty excited about. Over halfway seems like nearly done!

A few years ago I was able to run 20 minutes after a round of Insanity but I lost that quickly. I was in my best shape ever after doing Insanity and I am super excited to be so close to that fitness level again. I'm also a little terrified of trying to run 20 whole minutes on Saturday. I hope I can do it!

You can do it! I can't wait to hear about everyone making it through day three this week. It will make it sound doable by the time I get there. :)

• Like 2

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are ok.

I have talked with a lot of runners lately and every one of them has stories of injuries and falls and various accidents. Apparently this is an extreme sport!

Oh no -- I'm so sorry! I'm sorry to hear about the iPod. I dropped mine not long ago, and while it still works, there's this strange blob on the screen that is now permanent. It's very aggravating. But what's more important is, are YOU okay?

So sorry to hear about the fall/iPod, PIE!

Yikes!  Sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay.

I'm okay :). I just got a few scrapes. They still sting a little, but I didn't seriously injure anything. The iPod had it much worse than I did.

I even found a very cheap replacement for my son's iPod. He's excited because this one is even better than the one I broke. My BIL gave ds the old one for his birthday that a friend was going to throw away. He figured an 8 year old would be thrilled with any form of electronics, no matter how obsolete and broken down (the home button didn't even work). I don't have an anything that plays music, so I've been borrowing his.

Thanks for the concern. :) I'll be back on track tomorrow.

Eagle, thanks for the advice from your marathon friend! I'm going to try walking more slowly and see if it helps.

• Like 4

Help! I've fallen off the bandwagon. How do I get back on and get my motivation back?

Change things up a bit? You've been doing it on the treadmill, right? Is it possible for you to head outside? Kids on bikes, little one in a jogging stroller? If you don't have a jogging stroller, maybe there's a cheap one on CL?

Sometimes, too, just getting going regardless of motivation helps get the ball rolling.

• Like 5

Help! I've fallen off the bandwagon. How do I get back on and get my motivation back?

I think it helps to know you aren't alone at not being with the group. Several people are at different stages. In fact, it is never too late for anyone wanting to start. I just started over this week, so I'm well behind the pack.

Part of my motivation is just to get 30 minutes to myself. I can listen to music or audiobooks and tune out the chaos of little ones for a little sanity break.

• Like 5

Haven't been able to do much this week. Today, an old foot injury is really hurting, so I'm not running today. (Sad about that.) Maybe tomorrow....

Very wise to take a rest day! I hope you feel better soon.

I had a pretty nasty two-day migraine, and while I am feeling better today, I'm just not sure I have it in me to run. I'm going to try to do something gentle but active today, and run tomorrow.

• Like 3

Maybe pick a new place to run, a really pretty park or something like that. Some new music or an audiobook to listen to while you run. Maybe a reward - once you've completed three runs, you get to treat yourself to something nice. And posting here helps a lot! I never would have been able to do this without this wonderful group of ladies!

• Like 5

Yay! Week 5 day 3 done! Somehow it seemed it a little easier than day 2. I would have been happy to stop at 15 minutes, but the last five weren't that bad. I ran slower today, but I'm good with that. Completion was was goal. Hotter today too. It was already 82 at 7:15am. Usually it's not that until after I finish. Repeated the shady streets :)

• Like 6

Yay! Week 5 day 3 done! Somehow it seemed it a little easier than day 2. I would have been happy to stop at 15 minutes, but the last five weren't that bad. I ran slower today, but I'm good with that. Completion was was goal. Hotter today too. It was already 82 at 7:15am. Usually it's not that until after I finish. Repeated the shady streets :)

Wow! Congratulations on completing the big scary one! Woo hoo! :hurray:

• Like 2