Menu

Finished homeschooling, best place to sell all this wonderful stuff?

In general, I prefer Amazon because I can list it and forget it.  I always price at the lowest price and sometimes offer upgraded shipping for no addition cost by using a Priority Mail envelope if it is a fairly pricey book. They send an email when it sells, and you can reasonably buy the postage from them and ship from home if your carrier is OK with that.  Mine is fine as long as I don't overload him with packages/boxes, which he defines as three envelopes or one box a day.  I check my prices here and there, but my stuff moves well.  I don't sell there though if I don't make at least $5.

I use eBay to sell lots of books like a Sonlight Core, Classical Conversations Challenge books, etc.  Single books don't move for me.

I was frustrated with homeschoolclassifieds.com, but I recently sold something there that I've been trying to sell for a year.

Light paperbacks that I can't sell easily go on paperbackswap.com.  I also run off the postage there and put them in my mailbox for my carrier.

Heavier books that I can't sell online get donated to the library sale for a tax write-off.

I've never had much luck here frankly.  I post, but I've only sold 1-2 things in the last year or so.

I had hoped to get a bunch of stuff listed this summer, but it doesn't look like I'll get much more.  I have one more eBay lot I'll try, and that will be it other than putting a few things up on Amazon here-and-there. I just don't have the time now that it's July and the garden is in full force!

• Like 1

I sell here and on homeschool classifieds. However, if you have a lot of college textbooks, I would say Amazon is the best place to sell those. ebay probably brings the best prices if you have a popular item. I never buy homeschool materials on ebay because it sells too high.

I recently sold something there that I've been trying to sell for a year.

How do you store/track stuff that you have posted to sell? 

I have tons of stuff I'd like to post, but I'm not sure how I'd keep track of which box to retrieve it from if someone wants to buy it, esp. if I had it posted for a few months.

How do you store/track stuff that you have posted to sell? 

I have tons of stuff I'd like to post, but I'm not sure how I'd keep track of which box to retrieve it from if someone wants to buy it, esp. if I had it posted for a few months.

I have two "milk crate" boxes in my home office with the books I have listed.  If I'm selling a group of books as a lot, I put them into the box I'm going to ship them in and keep them there.

Selling scads of books at once is just too much for me to manage, so I limit it that way.  I have other boxes in the basement of things I plan to sell as things "go."

• Like 1

Thanks!  That's a great idea to limit what you're selling to two, easily accessible boxes. I keep thinking I'll list everything at once, but of course it would take so long to do that that I never start. Then another year's worth of stuff piles up.....

I have two "milk crate" boxes in my home office with the books I have listed.  If I'm selling a group of books as a lot, I put them into the box I'm going to ship them in and keep them there.

Selling scads of books at once is just too much for me to manage, so I limit it that way.  I have other boxes in the basement of things I plan to sell as things "go."

Do you live in an urban/suburban area?  If so, you might consider Craigslist.  It's like an ongoing garage sale.   :001_smile:

If you do this, I would recommend setting a certain day and time (perhaps once or twice a week?) and meeting buyers in a public location (McDonald's parking lot or wherever there are lots of people around...) to swap your stuff for cash.

I use the boards here to sell  and that has worked out just fine.

If you are on Facebook you can join Varage Sale which has a group called (Best) Homeschool Swap USA / Canada.  I have bought items from that site only. 

Wherever you sell I think a good key to getting them sold is putting in some good pictures and writing out some good descriptions.  Adding links to unfamiliar items is helpful too.     

Maybe let us know where you listed them so those of us still shopping can have a look.  :001_smile:

Congratulations on finishing homeschool!