Menu

Ideal home size

AnniePoo

Our 1400+ home is just right for a family of 4 and a small dog. I can see having 1-2 more kids would work fine with room sharing. The floor plan is well designed with little wasted space. It helps tremendously that we have a 2 car garage that instead of parked cars is used for storage of bikes, camping gear, Christmas stuff, tools, lawn equipment, unused odd and ends that I can't quite commit to get rid of, and projects. We don't have attic space, but if we did, the garage wouldn't be as vital. I would *like* a formal dining area, covered back porch or sunroom, coat closet, mud room, separate laundry area, and much more. But I am quite content with what we do have, knowing there's always that *one more thing* to crave in regards to living space, time, or money.

There are six of us in a 1300sq ft cape style home. I think the size is pretty much perfect for us. I think we could even fit a couple more kids in here pretty comfortably. And I love capes. My DH would like something larger but I wouldn't want anything larger than 2000 at the most. I agree that layout can be just as important as size though.

My ideal house would my in-law's house. The have a cape too but there are several key differences. They have a full dormer across the back and two window dormers on the front. That gives them slightly larger upstairs bedrooms as well as allowing them to have closets in all 4 bedrooms and a full bath upstairs. We have closets in only 2 bedrooms (and one of those is extremely small) and only a half bath upstairs. The also have a finished, walkout basement. Our basement would be very expensive to finish and isn't a walk-out. There are little things that would be nice too. They have a half bath in the basement, a fire place, a pantry, and a coat closet. Also, they have a breeze-way connecting to a 2 car garage. We have an unattached garage with a dirt floor. I like our location much better though.

• Like 1

We are city-centre condo living people so the size range to choose from doesn't fluctuate too much unless you have a lot of money. We have 4 people here and it is a 650sq ft living space which I like it but it might be just a tad too small. If the layout was a little different and the kitchen was open concept it might feel better. Before this we had  950sq ft condo and it was too big, so I think around 800sq ft with an open concept layout and high ceilings would be perfect. I also want floor to ceiling windows and a small balcony.