Menu

I'll be so sorry to see you go, Robin, but I understand that people sometimes have to trim and snip to fit their current situation.  :(

I also understand if you want to "sweep over the trail behind you," so to speak, but I'll admit it drives me bonkers when people replace every single one of their posts with a period or "nm" - we have lost a lot of very useful information and helpful insights that way.  I don't want to go too far and compare it to burning the Library of Alexandria, but .... ;)

I do hope you'll pop in from time to time.  It's often the well-seasoned homeschoolers who have the best eagle-eye view to share with the boots-on-the-ground folks running around in circles.

• Like 13

Gearing up for a new season of life. I am also finding I just don't fit anymore...if that makes sense.

Smiles!

Robin

The first I totally understand.  BTDT - finished homeschooling in the spring of 2012 and sent youngest to college in 2014, so I can't even claim after schooling.

But don't fit in?  Diversity is what makes the Hive great IMO.  I don't want us all to be one voice.  Our greatest resource, to me, is our diversity in thought, opinion, experiences, and anything else one can think of to add.

:grouphug:

It can help to stay off some threads...

• Like 9

Sorry to see you go, Robin.  

I get it.

This is a far less welcoming and civil space than it was a few years back.

Do you think this is true if one does not consider the Chat Board in the evaluation?

I am genuinely curious, as I think that the Chat Board has a VERY different vibe than the other sub-forums.

Robin, I hope you stay - best wishes if you do not.

• Like 8

Do you think this is true if one does not consider the Chat Board in the evaluation?

I am genuinely curious, as I think that the Chat Board has a VERY different vibe than the other sub-forums.

Robin, I hope you stay - best wishes if you do not.

Maybe not, but really, that's where the friendship stuff used to go on.  The straight educational stuff was always exhilerating but what made us excited to meet each other in real life was the chat board.  

• Like 2

Maybe not, but really, that's where the friendship stuff used to go on.  The straight educational stuff was always exhilerating but what made us excited to meet each other in real life was the chat board.  

It still is for me, esp since I'm no longer homeschooling.

I just know which types of threads to generally stay away from or which posters to skim (on those threads) at best. ;)

• Like 4

Maybe not, but really, that's where the friendship stuff used to go on. The straight educational stuff was always exhilerating but what made us excited to meet each other in real life was the chat board.

Thanks for the clarification. I see your point.

I have formed friendships here without the Chat Board, but it as I think about it that has come through PMs, a social group, and smaller threads that have some continuity (like an accountability thread) or a smaller forum (like High School or College) that does not move as fast (Logic Stage).

Robin, I don't want to derail your thread. I just very much hope that those who do not enjoy the vibe of the Chat Board (and I count myself in that demographic) can still feel like the WTM forums can offer camaraderie.

• Like 3

I have formed friendships here without the Chat Board, but it as I think about it that has come through PMs, a social group, and smaller threads that have some continuity (like an accountability thread) or a smaller forum (like High School or College) that does not move as fast (Logic Stage).

Robin, I don't want to derail your thread. I just very much hope that those who do not enjoy the vibe of the Chat Board (and I count myself in that demographic) can still feel like the WTM forums can offer camaraderie.

I am glad I spent time on a lot of the more general threads in the past.  It's funny some of the things and posters I remember.  (Mrs. Poppins, Sister Flaming Sword of Moderation, Ester Maria, being 1st when the board flipped).  

I've been on the boards in their various forms since at least 1999, probably 1997.  When we started homeschooling in 2003, we were overseas, in a situation where there were few homeschoolers (mostly US military who were exempt from local regulations because of SOFA) and I didn't know anyone else in our huge city who homeschooled in the open.  Despite the many hour time difference, the board was so helpful.  (I remember a few names from way back then and it makes me so happy to see the glimpses of content adulthood being reached by their kids.)

I learned that homeschooling is a big, big tent with a lot of different things under it.  I think I am more accepting of different approaches and goals than I might have been if I'd only experienced people just like me.  

But I was also really happy when the chat board went to a separate forum.  There are some posters who seem to really need to be right.  Even with a very robust ignore list, there are so many threads that seem to exist to pick fights that I haven't felt very tempted to post on the chat board in a long while.

• Like 14

I agree. I almost never post on the Chat board, and open very few threads there. Too many land mines, and that's not what I enjoy about participating on these boards. Loads of kindness, helpfulness, friendship, and life-sharing on the other boards, esp. the High School and College Boards.  :)

• Like 12

...being 1st when the board flipped.  

Omg, I forgot all about that! Lol....

I agree, the Chat Board can be extraordinarily toxic. I used to come in here and lurk just for a break from it. Now that my oldest is starting 9th, I feel like I have a more legitimatized refuge here on the high school board.

Enjoy your new journey. :)

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on "other" boards!

I don't normally even look at those, but I did recently, just for grins, and was truly bothered by some of the ugliness.

Robin, I will truly be sorry to see you go as I have enjoyed our conversations over the years. You ask really good questions that reflect some of the issues many of us have faced or are facing.

I hope all is well and that you are excited and looking forward to the next stage of life. I'll miss you. :grouphug:

• Like 3

I have the same experience. I was happy when the chat board was formed. Before that, I hadn't been on the general board since late 2008. Now I never venture into the chat board. I come here to have supportive conversations and avoiding the general turned chat forum has worked. I have some virtual friends who are wonderful and whom I am blessed for knowing.

But, I also have children who still stretch across every single board. I can see it would be very different if I didn't feel I belonged and connected to each board.

Best wishes to you Robin. Enjoy launching into your new stage of life.

• Like 4

Robin, we would miss your voice here, but I understand your reasoning.  I find myself steering clear of the chat board and limiting my time here in general, but the support and info is something I would dearly miss.

Best wishes~

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on "other" boards!

I don't normally even look at those, but I did recently, just for grins, and was truly bothered by some of the ugliness.

oops...hit enter too soon...ack...

Anyway...I didn't want this to be a "You all have made me made and I'm leaving the playground" thread.

I just wanted to remove my account to streamline my life, get my info out of cyberspace, and reduce the temptation to get involved in some less than savory discussions (I haven't so far, but I can't guarantee that forever ;)).

Cheers!

Robin

ETA:  You all may be stuck with me forever; I'm thinking there's no way to close an account here...til' death do us part...

If you mean, if there is a way to stop posting here, then many have done just that - just stopped posting and gone either elsewhere online or else offline.  I've heard some people suggest having a spouse or friend change your password and then not giving it to you if addiction has been a problem.  (Though there is nothing to keep you from lurking. . . .)

But you mentioned getting your info out of cyberspace and I'm afraid that is probably impossible.  The old saying (ok - not so old since it is new technology!) says, "Once on the internet, always on the internet".  It would be extremely time intensive for the admins to delete all your old posts and it disrupts the continuity of threads for anyone who is doing research and comes across them.  

I hope you can find what works best for you.  I am glad there are a lot of those who have gone ahead of me in the journey who have stuck around, but I understand wanting to start another chapter as well.  

• Like 2

I like Jean's idea of having a spouse or board friend change your password to resist temptation and walk away.

As an elementary age homeschooler, I find a huge advantage to having as much history as possible here. It really saddens me most of the material from the old boards has disappeared down the memory hole... As a math enthusiast it is particularly vexing that the old board/new board transition roughly coincided with the roll out of AoPS... I really wish I could find more of the Adrian/Charon/Myrtle/Jane in NC and others I will never know about's posts of HS math pre-AoPS... I can still find reflections but I would like to see the original development... I assume others have similar desires both generally and in other subjects. Seeing how HSing developed and what earlier families, even a decade or more earlier. decided is still a huge value for me.

Locking accounts or renaming them to pseudonyms would be fine and probably a good idea for the WTM admins but deleting them would be a huge loss...

• Like 1

I think my info is here to stay!

:hurray:  Yea! :)

… I will leave it alone. You never know...I might need to ask a question! I do still have ds at home for this year (extra/gap year due to ds' surgery causing delays)….

I've found the College Board to be a wealth of info not only about college, but about having adult children. :)