Menu

What's with the ads?

itsheresomewhere

The Venting Thread

Ugh professors who think that because you are taking online classes that you have nothing better to do than a butt load of school work. Mind you this is a community college who's primary population are non traditional students. I have 11 math assignments, 6 A&P assignments and 3 psych assignments and 1 assignment from each class is a discussion where you answer the initial discussion question and then on 2 different days respond to some one else's post. A&P is due Friday, statistics (math) is due Sunday and Psych is due Monday :(

I am sorry.

It is because they have found that without ongoing assignments, students drop. When students drop, the colleges get punished. Forcing people to stay engaged actually improves completion rates. Believe me, I work with instructors, and they agonize over this. They don't want to assign or grade busywork, but they have to follow best practices to get paid.

I know it sucks for those who would study on their own. But instructors get financially punished (less funding, per quarter, per instructor) if people drop out.

They will do what it takes to keep people engaged and completing the course because the existence of the college depends on it.

That's what happens when you make education a metrics game. :( It is dehumanizing but it is the direction we are headed.

My suggestion is that if you have the chance to leave feedback anywhere-- a student comment box, a student survey, e-mail the Ombudsman, whatever--you state why and give a specific example of the effect on your life.

If you drop a class next quarter (i.e. register for 2 classes instead of 3), specifically state why: "There was so much busywork--typing out comments on other posts for participation--that I had to drop from full time to part time. It was hard because I want to complete my degree on time." I promise you, they will listen more to that, because the state forces them to teach to enrolled credits and completions, not to education per se. This is the drive of bureaucrats and "results-based education" private sector reformers, NOT instructors, many of whom hate assigning so much busy work and who would love to engage more meaningfully with those students who really care and need support. Mentioning that the busywork load has caused you to drop credits enrolled is the best message you can give them. It won't change anything in the short term but in the long term it will help those of us who care about CC education to build a case for quality education that is not based totally on numeric outputs. Because, you know, you're a person, not a car, and this is not an assembly line.

Also remember--keep your posts on the message board short and to the point. Do not over-think it. They want to bring you to the class, not to have you write a treatise. Pick something you think is wrong but understandable and use questions to express your disagreement. "I thought the author meant it this way. Do you also see a relationship between page 19 and page 100?" And leave it. The point is to show you've thought about it, not to win an argument. NO CC prof/instructor has time to award debate points. They, too, have families and two jobs!

• Like 2

FLIPPING PING PONG.  I couldn't have gotten hurt from something brag worthy, like roller derby.  Nope it is ping pong that I get an injury from.  Yesterday I'm playing the tamest ping pong game ever with DH and I feel a pop in my lower back.  Instant agony.  I can barely walk.  Can't sleep - got maybe 4 hours last night.  Hurts to sit, to stand, to do anything other than lie in the fetal position.  Garf.  Fingers crossed it will go away in a few days and I don't have to visit the doctor.

• Like 1

FLIPPING PING PONG.  I couldn't have gotten hurt from something brag worthy, like roller derby.  Nope it is ping pong that I get an injury from.  Yesterday I'm playing the tamest ping pong game ever with DH and I feel a pop in my lower back.  Instant agony.  I can barely walk.  Can't sleep - got maybe 4 hours last night.  Hurts to sit, to stand, to do anything other than lie in the fetal position.  Garf.  Fingers crossed it will go away in a few days and I don't have to visit the doctor.

:grouphug:  I hope it gets better soon.  And seriously?  I'd go with the roller derby story I think - it would help put a good spin on the ping pong one if done creatively.   :lol:

Dear Son:  When I am completely exasperated that you are arguing with Every Thing I Say, do NOT interrupt me to say "I'm not arguing!"

:cursing:   :banghead:

• Like 9

This will sound horrible but before you become very old and very ill get rid of STUFF! Your heirs will thank you. It's just stuff. Let it go.

:iagree:  Soo much. I saw what it did to my MIL when her father died. He didn't quite belong on TLC but close. Treasure and trash was so mixed up that she felt throwing everything away indiscriminately was disrespectful to her father's memory. And yet, the toll it took on her to shift through everything in the two years following his death was pretty bad as well. She is determined not to do the same and I'm grateful.

• Like 2

This will sound horrible but before you become very old and very ill get rid of STUFF! Your heirs will thank you. It's just stuff. Let it go.

My great aunt did just that. Her only child had died tragically in his 20s, and when her husband died, she sold her house and most of its contents and moved into an apartment in a senior community. She didn't want her nieces and nephews to be burdened with cleaning out her house. That was 15 years ago.

My dc have been blessed with some of her son's toys, and when she recently moved to a new complex (dementia starting to set in), she gave her complete china set to my dd. She also went through old family photos years ago and gave them to the descendants of those in the photos to make sure they went to those who would appreciate them, rather than being tossed unrecognized.

A very strong, smart woman.

• Like 7

I've enjoyed following everyone's vents, but I guess it's finally my turn.

Bronchitis and back pain. I don't have time for this! Bronchitis has knocked me out completely for almost 5 days now. I really thought the antibiotics would have kicked in and gotten me somewhat back to normal by now, but I'm still a mess with a 100 degree fever.

Adding injury to illness, I pulled a back muscle a few days ago squatting to straighten some books that had fallen over on a shelf. I was on my way back to bed to rest, why didn't I just tell someone else to do it?! Now I have two reasons I can barely move. Grr.

We need to get going on school, I need to finish the organizing I was in the middle of, and I need to schedule and begin my tutoring sessions so I can get back to making money. Now everything's on hold.

Oh yes, and we were supposed to visit my parents this weekend, but since my mom is immune compromised, that has to wait until we are all perfectly healthy. Which of course probably won't happen until we are so busy we won't have time to go. Grr again.

On the bright side, I've found tons of great K resources on Pinterest 😊.

• Like 1

First time venting here...

My toddler screamed all during Sunday School until I finally realized that maybe he was tired. (He dropped his morning nap a bit ago.) I finally got him to sleep for about twenty minutes in the baby room, but people kept checking on us and would wake him up! I'm so frustrated.

• Like 1

My DH has MS and we're still figuring out a protocol to get it under control. DH has been having pain in his spine the last few days and called his dr. about it today. They seemed extremely worried about this development and are having him come in tomorrow morning for a urinalysis, followed by two days of a 4-hour IV drug infusion. They are concerned he is having a reaction to his latest drug (the 3rd one in 6 months). The drug he is on now is pretty much the Gold Standard for treatment, so if he has to go off, I don't want to think about where that leaves us.

• Like 1

My DH has MS and we're still figuring out a protocol to get it under control. DH has been having pain in his spine the last few days and called his dr. about it today. They seemed extremely worried about this development and are having him come in tomorrow morning for a urinalysis, followed by two days of a 4-hour IV drug infusion. They are concerned he is having a reaction to his latest drug (the 3rd one in 6 months). The drug he is on now is pretty much the Gold Standard for treatment, so if he has to go off, I don't want to think about where that leaves us.

(((hugs)))

To the really rude know it all lady I keep encountering at some events/gatherings,

Your oldest child is 6.  You do not know it all in the world of homeschooling.  Might want to have a cushion handy to catch you when the massive awakening happens.  

So many more things I would like to say but I will be nice.  

• Like 5

Praying for those who have vents here, that I just couldn't scroll past without doing so...and commiserating with those who have been having difficult times.

As for me, after settling down and just getting used to the idea of moving back stateside in May 2016, we are back to possibly moving in January 2016 (this is such a repeat of last year, you can't even imagine!).  UGH.  Not telling the kids that their life here may be over faster than we had hoped (and staying to May 2016 was far less than we ever had planned, as we were going to move back in early fall 2018, originally).  The next 60 days will be hard, because we're keeping it fairly private information -- and yet, we need to get stuff done on an accelerated schedule just in case -- which INCLUDES an Eagle Scout Project, when the last three fundraisers have not happened due to a lack of availability on the base schedule :(

• Like 3

:grouphug:  Praying that all works out well.  This is quite the serious vent.  I'm sorry you both have to deal with it.   :grouphug:

Hugs and prayers :grouphug:

Not a serious vent, but a duh moment for me.

Was excited to make pancakes this morning for breakfast with dd.  Make chocolate chips ones and they all turned out golden and crunchy - just how we like them!  Bit into mine and could taste the baking soda. I figure I must have added 4 Tblsp instead of 4 tsp.  And I doubled the recipe which would have been the right amount for the whole family, but would give a lot of leftovers since the twins are gone.  Now, I have to dump it all. (Although dh would probably still eat them!)

20-somethings should have a basic knowledge of how to make phone calls or send emails alerting those in charge that they will not be able to teach their class the next day. Or that they will have to leave their class 15 minutes early. I mean, you managed to get married and have a child, surely you can figure this out. Just basic common sense.

Maybe my expectations are too high.

Not matter how hard I try I cannot say dull and doll differently so that dd can hear they are different words and how to spell them (should be able to sound them out).

I had a lactation visit months ago and they were supposed to reimburse me most of it. They appear to be giving me the run around because everytime I called it was oh you will have it in X days. Then the last two times I called to check on the status I got the dr. instead of the receptionist. They said they would pass along my message. I don't know if they lied to me or if the receptionist simply didn't call me back. Today I called the ins. company to see if it had been processed and was pending or what. The ins. company told me it was paid earlier this month. I'm so irate. I told dh about it all and he's trying to call the office to make sure they give us our money back. And he keeps getting a busy signal. Oh my gosh I will drive an hour and go into their office if I have to. :cursing:

20-somethings should have a basic knowledge of how to make phone calls or send emails alerting those in charge that they will not be able to teach their class the next day. Or that they will have to leave their class 15 minutes early. I mean, you managed to get married and have a child, surely you can figure this out. Just basic common sense.

Maybe my expectations are too high.

I don't know what people's problems are! I've seen similar things with people out of their 20s.

• Like 1

I don't care that it's a volunteer position...record keeping entails a bit more than 3-hole punching everything, and sticking it in a binder!

Especially, when you request a grant.

I need to know when the grant was requested, what it was requested for, and where/how the money was spent, without combing through 12 months of every bank deposit, every check copy, every bank statement, and credit card statement for every fundraiser, event, reimbursement, subscription, meeting or whatever.

(That's the financial record keeping...I'm currently redoing the fundraising record keeping, so people will have an actual history one can follow. Vs. Stacks of paper with notes scrawled on them...

Trying to resign, but leave things better isn't always easy.

• Like 1

Just frustrated at health conditions today/tonight.  It's a typical/usual pattern, so I'm used to it, but I really do prefer the better days to days like today (sigh).  :cursing:  

• Like 1

Not a serious vent, but a duh moment for me.

Was excited to make pancakes this morning for breakfast with dd. Make chocolate chips ones and they all turned out golden and crunchy - just how we like them! Bit into mine and could taste the baking soda. I figure I must have added 4 Tblsp instead of 4 tsp. And I doubled the recipe which would have been the right amount for the whole family, but would give a lot of leftovers since the twins are gone. Now, I have to dump it all. (Although dh would probably still eat them!)

Actually, I just realized what I did! I used baking soda instead of baking powder.

• Like 1

Just frustrated at health conditions today/tonight. It's a typical/usual pattern, so I'm used to it, but I really do prefer the better days to days like today (sigh). :cursing:

Ah. Hope you feel better in the morning. Does rainy weather affect you?

Went to the drive-in. Didn't realize until we got there that there was no way to have the liftgate open, radio on, and interior lights off. I've been driving this Ford Explorer for a year

• Like 2

Actually, I just realized what I did! I used baking soda instead of baking powder.

My boys did that once making biscuits.  Fortunately, it was a small batch.  It's definitely memorable though - a mistake made once, then remembered forever after!

Ah. Hope you feel better in the morning. Does rainy weather affect you?

I have yet to find any common denominator between good, moderate, and bad.  I've tried many things from food, motion or lack thereof (this seems to be the closest, but it certainly didn't fit yesterday), weather, and hunting around for an ex student with a voodoo doll.  I've reached the point where I've given up trying to figure it out and just accept that "it is the way it is - deal with it."

Dealing with it is much easier on good or moderate days though.  ;)

This morning is mostly better for now.  Time will tell if it stays that way.  It might not.  Some aspects are the same as they were yesterday morning, so it could get worse, go away, or only bother me now and then throughout the day.

To some extent every day is unknown that way, but usually morning is the best.  (Usually, not always.  If it were always, I'd have more of an understandable pattern... can't have that!  It might help the mind!   :glare: )

There's enough going on today to keep me busy - just as there was yesterday.  Busy helps with the distraction, so the worst mental moments come in the evening when I'm tired (and cranky?), have dealt with it all day, and get annoyed that there's nothing I can do about it.  Fortunately, I can still fall asleep fairly easily when tired, so there's that escape for a few hours.

• Like 1

I'm a wannabe gardener, 18 months into my first rhubarb, transplanted from a friend. We can finally harvest next year, and dh just discovered that 15yo built his hugelkultur experiment overtop of it. :crying:  :banghead:

• Like 2

I'm a wannabe gardener, 18 months into my first rhubarb, transplanted from a friend. We can finally harvest next year, and dh just discovered that 15yo built his hugelkultur experiment overtop of it. :crying: :banghead:

Oh bummer!

My late dad was a gardener and one year my sister surprised him and rotilled (rented a power tiller) the whole garden including the area with the rhubarb etc.

• Like 1

Oh bummer!

My late dad was a gardener and one year my sister surprised him and rotilled (rented a power tiller) the whole garden including the area with the rhubarb etc.

:crying:

I'm a wannabe gardener, 18 months into my first rhubarb, transplanted from a friend. We can finally harvest next year, and dh just discovered that 15yo built his hugelkultur experiment overtop of it. :crying:  :banghead:

How frustrating! :grouphug:  I recall pulling up all the sunflowers my dad had planted one year thinking they were weeds since we didn't have them any other year, but still, that's not something you've waited for for so long!  

My morning frustration is a left hand numbness/tingling that WILL NOT GO AWAY.  :glare:  My thumb is totally not affected (overall), but the rest of the hand is annoying the cwap out of me.  I suspect it may be part of "unexplained issues" progressing even more at this point.  Last night I was hoping it was due to carrying around bags of shoes for a couple of hours while we played in the water of Niagara from Goat Island's attractions.  It may still be that since it's the only "difference" in my life - perhaps the nerves take longer to return to normal, but it's still rather aggravating and something I wish had gone away overnight.

Fortunately, the rest of the issues have been mostly better - at least yesterday and so far today - so I'm not dealing with everything at once.  We get another day to play today - on the Canadian side this time.  Tomorrow's the long car ride back.  It'd better improve by then or the drive home will be  :cursing: .

Arghhhh ... that's all. Majorly frustrating conference today. 

:grouphug:

"Interesting" deal with the hand.  Out walking around today it seemed back to "normal" (my normal - which means tingly when not moving it and fine when in motion).  Back here in the room it's back to annoying - bugging me even with typing and regular motion - totally not in the realm of normal using anyone's standards.  What in the world would walking have to do with it? (sigh)  I didn't carry anything in that hand today, so didn't make it worse by that.

At least the view is good - and soon the guys will return from the pool so distractions will be helpful.  But still.  It's aggravating.

When a company emails you regarding an issue and either doesn't acknowledge half of what you said or redirects you to their website/phone number because you may not reply to the email. Thanks for further frustrating the customer.

Since our city went to a hands-free rule, you can only use your phone when the vehicle is completely stopped. Which has led to a little epidemic of people sitting at green lights, texting away.

So I pull up behind an suv in the left-turn lane. The light turns green. She doesn't move. I can see her tapping away at her phone. A gentle beep with the horn. She's oblivious, tap tap tapping at her phone. I honk again, a little longer. Tap tap tap. It's like I'm not there. This is amazing. I look in my rearview, wondering when the annoyed mass honking will begin; nobody else but me behind her. Another long honk, flash my lights: nada. She's still tapping on the damn phone, way into the green light. I decide there's nothing to do but resign myself.

Another few seconds and the light turns yellow. All my self-congratulatory patience abruptly deserts me, and I lean on the horn, over and over. One more tap on her phone, and she looks up: and sees the light is, of course, red. So she looks at me in the rearview mirror and flips me off.

We wait through one more cycle and she goes at the green. Probably to tell her friends about the idiot woman honking at her to go through a red light.

• Like 8

I'm just tired....I'm tired of a dd who has not learned compassion, consideration, responsibility or respect, though I know she has been taught properly these things.  I'm tired of being her excuse/reason for every problem she has.  I'm also sick...it sucks because I have too much to do like every other parent out there and don't need it.  But my hubby is stellar and is trying to be as supportive and helpful as he can.  I'm thankful for that.

More funny than irritating: The cat followed us on our walk this morning...up the hill, across several streets, and all the way to the lake about a mile from our house. I was sure she would try to stay with us all 3.5 miles, so we turned around and came home. She followed us almost two miles! :zombie:

• Like 4

All right, here's one that's always a favorite: Please do not discuss your child's wonderfully fun birthday party in hearing range of all of us who were NOT invited. My DD hasn't figured out that she was one of the "unlucky ones", can we please keep it that way?!? 

Manners, people!!!!  :cursing:

• Like 3

Every time I need support dh is sick or in some sort of pain...so can't be there for me. I end up setting aside my needs and taking care of him.

I can't always convince myself it is a coincidence.

Ugh.

• Like 1

Just feeling emotionally battered.

Visited my sister after her first chemo treatment.

Ambushed by my mother while there, we haven't spoken in 3 years.

Fighting with my husband. I don't know if we are going to make it.

So much laundry to fold, I just want to cry.

I'm sorry. :( That's a lot of crap to deal with all at once.

• Like 2

My DD is doing a project on Tanzania, so we were really excited last Monday to learn that a fine arts museum had an exhibit on Tanzania!  The website indicated that this exhibit would be running through October 11, and the museum's Saturday and Sunday hours were listed.  We went on Saturday, only to be met by signs saying the museum was closed October 10-11.  (Edit: These were official-looking signs, not signs that were made at the last minute.)  I'm not sure how an exhibit runs through October 11 when the museum is not open on October 11.  Also, nowhere on the website OR in the info given on the phone recording did it say they would be closed on those days.

I called this morning to let them know what happened and to ask whether there was any way we could come and see the exhibit today.  I was told that it was being packed up, so no, we couldn't come and see it.  I said, "Then could I please encourage you to make sure that the information you provide to people through the website and phone recording is updated and accurate about things like dates when the museum will be closed?  It was rather frustrating."  All I got in response was, "Yes, ma'am."  There was no attempt at an apology, and I'm not at all confident that they'll take any steps to communicate more effectively with people.  I'm trying to decide if I should email the director of the museum, but I'm not sure what exactly I'd say if I did.

Many big (hugs)

• Like 1

My DD is doing a project on Tanzania, so we were really excited last Monday to learn that a fine arts museum had an exhibit on Tanzania! The website indicated that this exhibit would be running through October 11, and the museum's Saturday and Sunday hours were listed. We went on Saturday, only to be met by signs saying the museum was closed October 10-11. (Edit: These were official-looking signs, not signs that were made at the last minute.) I'm not sure how an exhibit runs through October 11 when the museum is not open on October 11. Also, nowhere on the website OR in the info given on the phone recording did it say they would be closed on those days.

I called this morning to let them know what happened and to ask whether there was any way we could come and see the exhibit today. I was told that it was being packed up, so no, we couldn't come and see it. I said, "Then could I please encourage you to make sure that the information you provide to people through the website and phone recording is updated and accurate about things like dates when the museum will be closed? It was rather frustrating." All I got in response was, "Yes, ma'am." There was no attempt at an apology, and I'm not at all confident that they'll take any steps to communicate more effectively with people. I'm trying to decide if I should email the director of the museum, but I'm not sure what exactly I'd say if I did.

I'd be so disappointed!

I'd email or send a real letter to the director and not mention the phone call. I'd go more the route of 'I noticed a problem' not 'I'm ticked off' though I'd still mention being disappointed.

This seems very minor compared to what others are going through, but I'm annoyed. I'm trying to call our regular family practice doctor's office to get my big kids in for flu shots and find out their newborn appointment practices since I'm delivering at a hospital that's in a different network and I keep getting a closed message. Their website and Facebook page say that they are open. I just want to get this off my to do list. Grr.

This seems very minor compared to what others are going through, but I'm annoyed. I'm trying to call our regular family practice doctor's office to get my big kids in for flu shots and find out their newborn appointment practices since I'm delivering at a hospital that's in a different network and I keep getting a closed message. Their website and Facebook page say that they are open. I just want to get this off my to do list. Grr.

Not sure of your time zone. Could they be closed for lunch? I had to go pick something up at a doctor's office recently and I forgot that a) they close early on Fridays and b) they close for lunch.

People who don't return emails or otherwise communicate as promised. Twenty-two hours ago, he said, "I'll keep you informed" about a decision that was to be made within the half hour. I haven't heard a word. Sigh .....

How about this:

A doctor in the ER shared some information about my son's medical condition with the director of the college program my son is enrolled in, without my son knowing about it or giving his permission. (Ds is 20yo.) And to top it off, the doctor painted a very different picture of my son's limitations than what his own doctor has prescribed, and now the director has said that he will be withholding ds from participating in some aspects of the program. Ds is livid, and I am trying to not be in too much of Mama Bear mode. 

Big hugs. 

• Like 1

How about this:

A doctor in the ER shared some information about my son's medical condition with the director of the college program my son is enrolled in, without my son knowing about it or giving his permission. (Ds is 20yo.) And to top it off, the doctor painted a very different picture of my son's limitations than what his own doctor has prescribed, and now the director has said that he will be withholding ds from participating in some aspects of the program. Ds is livid, and I am trying to not be in too much of Mama Bear mode. 

Hard not to call the lawyer on that one. I'd be livid!