Menu

Easy To Teach Chemistry Needed!!

Dd15 will be taking Chemistry this year. She has tried a few online and/or video classes and she just does not do well with them. She needs that live interaction with me. So, here is my problem; I do not remember the first thing about chemistry!!! So I need a chemistry class that will hold my hand. A solid teacher's book that will help me teach her and myself. Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks :)

We're going to use Spectrum Chemistry (for 10th)I have not used it yet but I have done a lot of research and it appears to be the easiest to implement and EVERYTHING is included.  It's $$$ but I'm at the point that if it means it gets done then I'm willing to go without in other places.  Do a board search and you'll see that most people like/love it. 

I'm looking at using Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry along with the MicroChem lab kit from Quality Science Labs http://www.qualitysciencelabs.com/chemistry-labs/microchem-kit-standard-edition/.

http://www.conceptualacademy.com/ ($30 for the year, ends in July, then you'd need to find the textbook, which can be rented)--not sure which of the self-study courses we'll be doing yet http://www.conceptualacademy.com/self-study-courses#Chemistry

Friendly Chemistry and Spectrum Chemistry are extremely gentle programs.

If Christian is okay, you might also look at Alpha-Omega's Switched on Schoolhouse Chemistry.

Or, outsource with something secular like Time4Learning and watch/do together.

All of those options have solid teacher support and would not be loads of time for you.

You might also check out Dicentra's great pinned thread at the top of the High School Board ("Homeschool High School Chemistry") for details about various programs to see which ones have video lessons and lots of teacher helps/resources.

After looking at Dicentra's thread, I decided to use Scott McQuerry's Advanced Chemistry.  We will begin next week. I have printed out the materials, and it is something I can teach without hours of prep.  The lessons are short and concise.  The course has a lot of math, which I wanted, but the math isn't complex.  The teacher's manual has answers and review questions.  It is a 3-day curriculum:  1st day reading and working practice problems, 2nd day check problems (may move this to day one) and conversions for the kitchen labs, 3rd day kitchen labs.  We are also using the Julicher's Cooking & Science.

The above is definitely a gentle chemistry course, but dd has many other heavy courses next year plus she is still working on test prep, so this looks like a good fit.

• Like 2