Menu

Would you move the whole family for the needs of one child?

We got the letter. She didn't get in. She's taking it really hard.

Sadly, the biggest area where she fell down was on "affect and academic discussion"-and given that we'd just had a cat die and DD was extremely upset and nervous, I don't think they saw the real her. Her academic scores were pretty good on their assessments.

We got the letter. She didn't get in. She's taking it really hard.

Sadly, the biggest area where she fell down was on "affect and academic discussion"-and given that we'd just had a cat die and DD was extremely upset and nervous, I don't think they saw the real her. Her academic scores were pretty good on their assessments.

:grouphug:  I am very sorry to hear that. I was rooting for her.

Please spend some time encouraging her to keep her spirits up - let her know that the admissions committees don't have a full picture of the true person when they make the decision. My son was rejected (a.k.a. "waitlisted") two years in a row for a very selective program that he wanted to get into badly - I was at a loss on how to encourage him to move on because he had spent the months leading up to the selection talking about "when I get into that program"  - when it happened twice, it looked like he was dealing with anxiety, self-doubt and depression - finally, his music teacher who is a very sweet lady was the one who took the effort and time to give him the wisdom that he was still the same kid he used to be, no matter what the admissions committee thought about him.

Wishing you all luck with your plan B.

• Like 1

Bummer. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have a sneaky suspicion she is too asynchronous for them. And you know how asynchronous our kids can be. A friend of ours was rejected a few years ago. And this was a kid who had finished something like 9 APs with a score of 5 (and multiple SAT 2s with 700+-800 scores) when he applied at around 12yo. Their comment was that yes, while he was learning post calculus level math, his writing speed and stamina was still below middle school level. :cursing:  When his mom told us that, my respect for DA plummeted. I think they were too stunned by DA's report to even react. I mean it just doesn't make sense with a kid like that kwim?

Okay, one door is temporarily closed...but that is only going to mean that she is going to find another door and one that's possibly a much better fit. Really sorry that she is disappointed though. She is going to get over this and rock it somewhere else. Just wait and see. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

ETA: attaching a huge bar of virtual chocolate for the both of you!

Edited by quark
  • Like 9

Oh No.  :grouphug:  I am so disappointed. I can't imagine what kind of student they are looking for if your dd doesn't fit the bill.  :confused1:  Many virtual hugs for you and your daughter. She has been in my thoughts for weeks and will remain there.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 7

Oh no! What were they thinking? Your DD is amazing! Gosh, I know that must be so hard for her. Please tell her how much her virtual friends are cheering her on; I know that she will be an incredible addition to any program. Hugs to you both.

• Like 3