Menu

Pre-K math: McRuffy, TouchMath, or other?

avazquez24

We used McRuffy and absolutely loved it. It presented the right mix of fun and challenge. It is also very adaptable to your dc's level and ability. My dd really enjoyed it and it set a great foundation for further math study. Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

Thanks!  That is great to hear:)

We used McRuffy and absolutely loved it. It presented the right mix of fun and challenge. It is also very adaptable to your dc's level and ability. My dd really enjoyed it and it set a great foundation for further math study. Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

Just as a clarification, we did McRuffy Pre-K for 3/4 of the year. When I felt my dd had mastered everything, we moved on to Right Start A and C-Rod activities (followed by Miquon), which we will continue through K, moving onto RS B whenever she finishes A. So, there's no reason you can't do both!

ETA: McRuffy has a lot of games that are easy to implement, which will give you an idea if your dc will do well with the game approach before trying RS. Also, the wipe-off McRuffy workbook is genius! You can redo any page as many times as you want, and it even comes with 3 colors of markers! (OK, off my soapbox now...)

We used RightStart. Since I knew I wanted to use at least the first few levels, I went ahead and bought the manipulative package when DD was 2 years old. We just played with all the fun math toys until she was ready for level A, which we did for her pre-k year.

I've been looking online at different math curriculums to use with YDD for pre-k this year.  So far I've looked at McRuffy and TouchMath. Any input on these two? Or recommendations for others?

How old is your dd? Because "pre-K" can be anything from 2yo to 4 or 5yo. :-)

If your dd is under 4, I wouldn't do anything formal or organized. If 4ish, then at the most, Mathematics Made Meaningful, which uses cuisenaire rods and task cards, would probably be my first choice.

The Wonder Number game would be fun (and your other dc could do it, too). Games which use counting, such as Sorry!, or Chutes and Ladders, or even Parchesi, would be good, too.

• Like 1

Don't do TouchMath!! The Pre-K looks cute, but the program was designed as a very remedial program for students who were struggling in math. Once kids learn to count the "touchpoints" (or whatever they're called), it makes it very difficult to develop real number sense. I have spent the whole year helping my fourth-grade tutoring student unlearn TouchMath and learn to to reason about numbers instead. 

I'm doing MEP-R with my 3yo right now, whenever he's in the mood.  We're only a few lessons in, and it's perfect for his stage--counting well to ten and able to describe objects (longer/shorter, more/less, color), but not recognizing numerals yet.  Interactive and playful, yet with substance--and free!

I own RS-A and will do that with him when he's ready.  I went through it informally with my older two starting when they were 4 and 3, and it was perfect--but they really need to gain the number recognition in the first few lessons, and my current 3 isn't there yet, so while we camp on recognizing numerals 1-9, I'm using MEP to fill his occasional desire for "work".

Don't do TouchMath!! The Pre-K looks cute, but the program was designed as a very remedial program for students who were struggling in math. Once kids learn to count the "touchpoints" (or whatever they're called), it makes it very difficult to develop real number sense. I have spent the whole year helping my fourth-grade tutoring student unlearn TouchMath and learn to to reason about numbers instead.

What are you doing to help unlearn touch points? My son picked those up in K, and it was really hard for him to learn his math facts. My youngest is in K, I caught him using touch points all on his own the other day to count to add.

I have used k-2 Mcruffy Math.I used the k level with my preschool age ds and he did very well with it.I am a fan of Mcruffy.It is an easy no stress Math but in grade 2 we hit a wall.Mcruffy jumps around a lot and in previous grades it didn't bother us but in grade 2 there was just not enough practice on math facts for my dc.I found myself supplementing with free worksheets and sites.I ended up making the switch to CLE for 3rd.I highly recommend Mcruffy for k though I have no experience with pre-k.

Another strong vote against Touchmath! Touchmath has the students count by the shape of the number, and it is virtually impossible to develop number sense this way. It's as if the Base 10 concept doesn't exist with this program. The kids cannot "unsee" the dots on each number and will just count on every single time. Please do not use Touchmath.

What are you doing to help unlearn touch points? My son picked those up in K, and it was really hard for him to learn his math facts. My youngest is in K, I caught him using touch points all on his own the other day to count to add.

I wonder if it would help to do something that requires lots of oral math, such as Rod and Staff, which has a scripted oral class time before the child does his seatwork.