Menu

HIgh School level biology question...

I need help pulling together a good Biology program for DD for 9th grade.  She is dyslexic and still struggles a bit with reading textbooks . We were going to do IPC first but she decided as long as she doesn't have to face more dissections (she did dissections in elementary school ) she would prefer Biology.  I don't mind her just watching a few video dissections.  There is so much more to Biology than dissections.  She wants to explore the other areas of Biology besides dissections and would prefer labs for that exploration.

For resources I have the AGS textbook for biology and the student lab book and the student notebook.  I can get the TM.  It is written at a more basic level for weak readers but is considered High School level material.  Still, DD and I would like to supplement with another textbook for some things.  She does not read info out of textbooks terribly well at all.  I read them with her to confirm understanding.  She does, however, seem to do very well with documentaries now (that was not always the case) and can learn concepts.  She just struggles a bit with vocabulary recall and reading.

Could someone recommend a well-written, not overwhelming, but solid on concepts textbook that might also have DVDs and includes some sort of lab kit?  I am Christian but not YE and would prefer secular materials.  I read through the pinned thread but there were a LOT of resources listed.  I was hoping someone with BTDT experience could weigh in.

Hello ~

Not a text, but we are using Fascinating Chemistry along with other resources and plan to use Fascinating Biology as well next year. My DD likes the professor's gentle voice, the opportunity to listen to the lessons multiple times if needed, and the graphics. The program includes lab suggestions or you could buy a stand alone lab book such as:

http://www.homeschoolsciencepress.com/

Hope this helps :) 

ETA: We used Landry Academy for labs this year and it was great getting them all completed in two days!

• Like 3