Menu

3rd and 4th grade writing?

2015-2016 will be our third year of home schooling.  So far we have done very little writing.  DD is going to be 10 and DS will be 8 for this school year.  She is a strong reader and enjoys writing short stories on her own.  DS is probably a little above grade level for reading, but he's not confident yet and won't try chapter books on his own yet.  He has a very hard time with penmenship.  He goes to OT for that and for impulse control and some other stuff.  He was diagnosed with ADHD and NLD.  We have not done any writing with him.  He loves audiobooks.  His vocabulary is fantastic.  His comprehension is great.  And he expresses himself verbally very well.  We are working on some typing for both kids, but for him, it's likely that he'll need to dictate any writing for next year. We have done grammar using The Sentence Family, so they have a decent grasp on basic grammar.

What should I do for writing?  Any ideas?

Thanks, Chelsea.

We love the CAP Writing and Rhetoric program.  We just finished with Fable.  It sounds like a great fit for your oldest as it really explores elements of story in the first book while teaching summary and amplification, but you may need to evaluate more carefully for your son.  He may not be ready yet.  Writing with Ease will be a good fit until then as it trains him to write in narration and dictation, but the compositions are fairly short.

Oh, I like the look of CAP fables.  I was just looking through the sample lessons.  One question- is everything included?  There was one part in lesson one where it says "the teacher will read to you about lions".  Then the child is to write down the sentence that was dictated.  But there wasn't anything about lions...so I'm a little confused.  Am I suppose to find or make up a sentence or two about lions? 

Otherwise I think this might work.  I think we could make it fun.

Oh, I like the look of CAP fables.  I was just looking through the sample lessons.  One question- is everything included?  There was one part in lesson one where it says "the teacher will read to you about lions".  Then the child is to write down the sentence that was dictated.  But there wasn't anything about lions...so I'm a little confused.  Am I suppose to find or make up a sentence or two about lions? 

Otherwise I think this might work.  I think we could make it fun.

The teacher's guide has the sentences to read. 

• Like 1