Menu

SCOTUS backs marriage equality!

go_go_gadget

:party:  :party:  :party:

I don't have anyone around to celebrate with, so I'm smiling and teary-eyed and quivering on the inside!  Woo hoo!

:party:  :party:  :party:

ETA:  I love that my 13-year-old daughter was the one who told me about today's decision.  I hadn't been online yet, and she texted me a picture and said, "Have you seen this?" followed by bunches of heart smilies.  Love my kid.  :wub:

• Like 14

I'm thrilled! I was out with one of my kids when she got multiple messages telling her the news.

I don't understand how people can be opposed to this. If you don't believe in gay marriage, then don't marry someone of the same sex. 

How can it possibly hurt you in any way for someone else to have the ability to get married to the person they love?

• Like 25

Not trying to derail the party (honest!) but I do believe that freedom of conscience means that people have the right to live their lives according to beliefs that I personally find repulsive as long as no real harm (e.g. child abuse) results.

Anyway... party on. :)

Wait....you find it repulsive?

• Like 1

We're celebrating here! My 12yo made sure she had all the colors of the rainbow on her clothes/jewelry when she got dressed this morning. Lol.... raisin' 'em right... :D

My dd5 just came out of her bedroom...she had gone in and changed her outfit to a multicolored outfit with a tshirt that just says 'LOVE' in patchwork colors. She simply said, "Mom, this is a better ensemble for today."ðŸ˜

• Like 19

Well...that makes sense. This is not an emotional issue for me, but I have long assumed it would just make sense.

I do kinda dread some of the conversations that will crop up around me, though.

• Like 3

Not trying to derail the party (honest!) but I do believe that freedom of conscience means that people have the right to live their lives according to beliefs that I personally find repulsive as long as no real harm (e.g. child abuse) results.

The United States of America does not guarantee Freedom of Conscience. They guarantee certain civil rights, and one may live their lives according to their beliefs and consciences so long as they don't infringe upon the civil rights of others.

Today's ruling formally protects certain civil rights with regard to legal marriage.

And it's about damn time.

• Like 26

I had errands to run and am late to the party.

:party:

:hat:   <------------------- I never get to use this one and it's a party, so....  :thumbup1:

Wondering if I should BART into SF or if that's madness.  :D  :D  :D

• Like 9

Gotta say- I was full of despair about the future of our country for the 8 years of the Bush Presidency, particularly with regard to SCOTUS. I am so happy to know I was wrong and that principle crosses partisan lines.

Clarence Thomas: what the heck, man? I wonder how he'd vote if interracial marriage came back before the court. Would he invalidate his own union?

• Like 12

A good friend of mine hasn't seen her children but once in the past 18 months because she wasn't legally married to her partner when they split up. The children are 12 and 10 and she was the primary caregiver since they were born. She has gone to court multiple times, in different states (they were living in one state, she moved to another and her partner to a third), but was told she had no rights because she was not a legal parent nor was she married. Hopefully, this law will be the first step to help change this situation for her and others like her. 

• Like 21

But discrimination by business owners according to race, and other characteristics has a history of causing real harm in this country.  The reason why we have the concept of protected classes in this country, is because while discrimination by one person might seem like a small thing, when that same discrimination is repeated over and over again in a community it can have a profound impact on people's ability to live their lives in a functional way.

• Like 10

A good friend of mine hasn't seen her children but once in the past 18 months because she wasn't legally married to her partner when they split up. The children are 12 and 10 and she was the primary caregiver since they were born. She has gone to court multiple times, in different states (they were living in one state, she moved to another and her partner to a third), but was told she had no rights because she was not a legal parent nor was she married. Hopefully, this law will be the first step to help change this situation for her and others like her.

These are the exact protections I was speaking of.

There can be vindictive partners in any relationship - hetero or not. When it comes to homosexual relationships and children, usually (always?) one partner will have custody while the other has none. No rights, nada.

I'm with you in hoping that these sorts of situations will soon be handled as they are within heterosexual relationships and separations.

• Like 2

OK, I'm back home and have smilies:

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

:party:  :party:  

I started reading the debate threads and decided that I'm not ready to be brought down yet.  I'm just going to be happy and proud of my country right now.  It's been a big week.

(OK, I got to be a little too celebratory and got this message:

You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message)  :laugh:

• Like 22

The internet today is like a unicorn mated with some skittles. Which is logically the inevitable future of marriage now that 'the gays' can wed.  :laugh:

There is no celebration going on in our house.  :glare:

You're still here? I thought you left the forum.  :confused1:

We will part extra for you.

:hurray: :patriot: :party: :seeya: :001_tt2: :001_wub:

"pound sign" winning.

• Like 24

The internet today is like a unicorn mated with some skittles. Which is logically the inevitable future of marriage now that 'the gays' can wed.  :laugh:

You're still here? I thought you left the forum.  :confused1:

"pound sign" winning.

I think I  :001_wub:  you.  

• Like 9

Dang, I want rainbow cake.

Dd5 will share! Actually, she loves to bake but won't eat cake, lol. Picky eater...

She did however put dollops of different colored frosting on top and used a toothpick to swirl them into rainbows on top of rainbow cake. Of course it had to be topped by multicolored rainbow candy flowers:)

• Like 4

I think I  :001_wub:  you.  

Aww, thanks. I'm married but since polygamous marriage is apparently going to be immediately legalized and encouraged.... ;) ;) ;)

I'm thinking of marrying some of my books and my coffee maker too.  :laugh:

• Like 15

Aww, thanks. I'm married but since polygamous marriage is apparently going to be immediately legalized and encouraged.... ;) ;) ;)

:lol:

You can blame my lack of available likes for all the quotes. Darn oppressive regimes.  

Books sound good.  Tea kettle (the drinkable kind), too.  I might have to include my iDevices in there.  Can't imagine life without 'em - better hurry and marry them and make it all legal-like!  :p

• Like 5

I will marry my dog. She is loyal and displays unconditional love for all. More importantly, she will move over without complaint if she is hogging the bed. 

• Like 7

I went through my old pictures and found ELEVEN YEARS worth of photos of my family demonstrating for marriage equality. We have worked for this!

On the one hand, my kids are thrilled. On the other hand, I was talking to Alex and her friend about it at lunch today and I realized that they genuinely don't understand why this should be a big deal. It's such an "of course!" thing for them. I told them, "When I was your age, I didn't realize I knew anyone who was gay. It was considered such a bad thing that people kept it a secret." They were completely bewildered. It's an incredible transformation in our culture over not that long a period of time.

post-16769-0-18089500-1435368117_thumb.jpg

post-16769-0-18089500-1435368117_thumb.jpg

• Like 35

:party:  :party:

It might seem crazy what I'm about to say
Sunshine she's here, you can take away
I'm a hot air balloon, I could go to space
With the air, like I don't care baby by the way

Because I'm happy

Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth