Menu

Audible Books Worth Getting

Can we start a list of not just any book on tape, but specifically, paid Audible.com account books worth getting each month for a elementary age audience.  

In other words, I think I've been throwing my money away with the Audible account I've been paying for the past two years. I almost never get any titles because I'm paralyzed by the thought of paying for a title that is already available for free as many classics are, or cancelling my account and losing all the book credits I have accumulated! I also constantly throw in the paralysis of --I can't get audible books that would be better experienced by my kids as a book they read themselves.

So, within that context, what books are really worth getting with your paid Audible account?

(For me, I will probably be using them a lot in the car where K'er, 3rd, and 6th grader will be listening).

• Like 1

Many classics are free but if you get the ebook of a classic with whispersync for voice ready and then get the audible book with whispersync for voice ready at a discounted rate or for a credit, then you can do immersion reading which I think is great for kids. Only certain kindles can do immersion reading.

Also, some narrators are the very best like Tim Curry narrating the Christmas Carol or Jim Weiss so to me the better narrators are very much worth it.

Audible does have Joy Hakim's US History series.

• Like 1

A lot of kids books cost less than a credit on Audible. I've found that to be true of the books I get anyway. I normally stock up during the sales.

These are probably less than a credit but these are the audiobooks that would best fit your criteria:

Paddington

Trumpet of the Swan read by E. B. White

The Thirteen Clocks

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths could be another one. I find it rather dull but my son loves it. Having it read would help with pronunciation.

• Like 1

Incorrigible children of Ashton place and Peter and the star catchers are both great series! We also got all the History of US volumes, Magic of Reality, and numerous others that are well with it. I usually watch the sales for the shorter kids books because I don't consider them worth a credit. All the how to train your dragon books are on YouTube.

• Like 1

I'm all about getting a million hours for one credit ;)

Some of the successes I have found for one credit:

The entire Ramona series

The entire Henry Huggins series

The entire Wizard of Oz series (91+ hours!)

The Once and Future King

the Blue Fairy Book

Magic Treehouse collections (althought I won't buy these any more for my kids who can read them)

and various collections of myths and legends

Beyond just looking for a million hours for one credit, great successes for my crew have been:

Matilda by Roald Dahl

The Jungle Book

The Secret Garden

How to Train Your Dragon

any book from the Hank the Cowdog series (these are so well done on audible that I almost can't read the books myself any more, I can't do any of the great voices lol!)

• Like 1

I only use my credits for books that cost more than the cost of a credit. I never use credits for books less than a cost of a credit. So if you are having trouble selecting books since they are less than a credit, then think ahead and get books that your kids can use later such as SWB history series.

• Like 1

I keep doing my audible account because of the deals they send.  As the others said, they have so many deals that if your interest is just classics or easily met by using Overdrive (free through your library), I don't see the point.  I get them because ds is dyslexic and uses his kindle EXTENSIVELY, pretty much 8-10 hours a day, no kidding.

Right now he's reading (ear reading, listening to) everything from Encyclopedia Brown and The Black Stallion to Demon Under the Microscope.  As you say, a lot of books are just as cheap to buy with the kindle book and the discount as they are to use credits for.  Anymore, I shop having both an amazon and an audible window open.  I needed to use 4 credits for the deal they just ran (use 4 credits, get a $10 credit), but I ended up buying probably 10 OTHER books because they were cheaper with ebook+ audio than they were with credits!  That got crazy, lol.  And that part is frustrating in a way, totally agree.  On the other hand, when I get a Teaching Company course for ds (yes, ds6) and it's for a credit, that's a good deal.  And if you need a book NOW, getting the book for a credit is good.  So it's the sales that make it worth it to me.

I try to make extensive use of the wish list feature on audible.  That way I don't get frustrated with not remembering what we could buy when I need to use credits for a deal.  Some things on our wish list that I haven't bought yet that might give you ideas?

Heroes of History by Durant (summary of world history, elegantly written)

Thunder Below! by Fluckey (submarines in WWII)

Lafayette and the American Revolution by Freedman (beautiful middle grade bio)

anything else by Russell Freedman

D-Day by Ambrose (the reader is particularly good and readers make the book)

Trail to Seven Pines by Louis L'Amour (I want to try Louis L'Amour on him to see what he thinks)

more of the My Father's Dragon books

The Bronze Bow by Speare

Wee Free Men (Discworld children's series) by Pratchett

The Thirteen Clocks by Thurber

several of the Apologial Exploring Creation elementary science books

The Mysterious Benedict Society

The War that Saved My Life by Bradley

Ella Enchanted

Holes

anything by Roald Dahl

the newest Guardians of Ga'Hoole books

the Freddy series

more of the Hank the CowDog series

more Beverly Cleary books

Books I just got him?  

Life and Death of Crazy Horse (Freedman)

Adventures in Life series

another by Freedman

several by Jean Fritz 

Worst of Friends by Jurmain

George vs. George

another by Freedman, the Lincoln Photobiography which is surprisingly good on audio

Encyclopedia Brown

Black Beauty

Door in the Wall

Hank the Cowdog

Lad a Dog

Killer Angels (Shaara)

several by DiCamillo

The Sea-Wolf by Jack London (had never heard of it before, but the reader is good)

They had a TC sale and I got a bunch that way.  Like I said, for me audible is about the sales.  I had a hard time using my $10 credits till I started making a more extensive wishlist.  If he has a reader he likes, I follow that reader to see what else they read that might be good.  

Adding: That list his history-intensive.  I need to find more science read alouds.  Living math books would be good too, come to think of it.  Because of his dyslexia, I'm trying to make intellectually appropriate things accessible, even if his eye-reading isn't there yet.

• Like 1

This is super helpful. I've neglected the whole Audible account and never pay attention to sales. How dumb and how frustrated I am with myself but definitely motivated to turn this around now. Thank you #OhElizabeth, especially!

• Like 1

I've also been meaning to add The Wizard of Oz read by Anne Hathaway which is very well done.

Yes, this one is very well-done. My daughter listened to it about 4 times in a row!

Also, the Ramona series, Paddington, and the Penderwicks series were listened to many times.

Following to get some more ideas! My daughter eats up audio books. We re-aloud too, but with audio books, she can listen to so many more than I have time to read.

ETA: Ella Enchanted!!! So well-done! The narrator is a 10-year-old girl, and she's amazing.

Oh Dear.. so many, I'll try to post them all, but seriously we have something like 23 pages of books in our Audible Library & at least that many in our wish list.. 

By The Great Horn Spoon -- different people play different voices, beautifully done

Narnia {all of them} -- 2 versions to choose from BBC productions are like listening to a full cast radio show with sound effects, the other version is a narrator reading a book. Both are worthy, one is more abridged then the other.

Anne Of Green Gables -- 2 versions to choose from, BBC Production or not.

A Wrinkle In Time 

Poppy & Rye Series

Hank The Cowdog

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle -- narrator is a little raspy, but we loved the story

Harry Potter books -- we prefer the ones read by Jim Dale, beautifully done. Stephen Fry can't hold a candle to those

Paddington Bear Books -- Stephen Fry does an amazing job to those ones

Peter Pan Series -- ones done by Jim Dale, again fantastically done, but then I've yet to hear anything he's done, done poorly..

The Golden Goblet -- loved hearing those names read vs trying to get the pronunciation myself

The Bronze Bow

A Single Shard -- beautifully done

Treasure Island -- we went with the one read by Neil Hunt my kids loved this book & couldn't get enough, I've never really enjoyed this story.  ;)

Daughter Of The Mountains -- again loved having someone else sound out the names {my kids didn't appreciate the narrator & said she sounded babyish, er my youngest said that..}

Just So Stories

Percy Jackson Series -- There was some language in them

Little Britches Series -- Book one, at least, has some language

A Little Princess -- LOVE, but then it's one of my favourite books of all time

The Secret Garden -- there's a BBC production of this which is so-so because it's like reading the abridged version & since I so love this book I wanted the real thing

Pippi Longstockings

Fairy Tale Detectives -- There are foster children in these books so that might be an issue for some, as well as magic, & fairy tales being real. We've enjoyed what we've heard so far.

Dr Dolittle -- love this book & my boy has enjoyed hearing it again

The Series Of Unfortunate Events -- for whatever reason they do NOT have book 2, so annoying.. most of the books are a 1 man show, but Book 1 is available with many voices which was FUN

Treasures Of The Snow -- again I love this book so I'm biased

The Hobbit -- many versions available & I really don't like the book so I was grateful to find a way to "read" it "to" my kids

Bible -- we have a few versions but the NKJV that is 99 hours for ONE credit was a TERRIFIC buy. It's read by many {different voices for different people} & has sound effects. My kids LOVE listening to it for our morning Bible reading {It's called The Word of Promise}

Everything On A Waffle -- my boy loved this, but was annoyed at not having the recipes in hand

Half Magic -- it was fun to listen to this while being lazy in the summer

Ink Heart Trilogy -- all though I'm not keen on Brendan Frasier doing book 2, but that might be because the narrator from book 1 was just SO captivating

Hunger Games Trilogy

From The Mixed Up Files Or Mrs Basil E Frankweiler -- the only downer was an unexpected scene I didn't anticipate which was about drugs. Nothing bad, mind you, just the fear of someone they met being "one of those people". 

Miracles On Maple Hill -- many voices, in fact I think some that are also in Half Magic so if you listen to these back to back you'll wonder why your characters have new names!

Gone Away Lake -- kids are asking for this again this summer

All Of A Kind Family -- Oh, but I do so love the AOAK family books!!

War Horse -- theres 2 crude words & one OMG in there

Wizard Of Oz -- I think we have the one Anne Hathaway narrated which was free at one point, she reads it well, but lacks the time to take a breath between chapters which is a little weird.

Little Women -- again another one I love

Rodzina -- my boys still quote this book & we listened to it a year or so ago!

39 Clues Series 1 -- we've had a blast listening to these as a family

Spy Dog Series -- we love Spy Dog, but I always feel I should warn that in one of the books {or two} the "baddie" is a drug seller

Rangers Apprentice -- different narrators after book 5, but that might be because I had access to ones here vs there

Fever 1793 -- beautifully narrated, all though my eldest freaked out about a getting a fever after we read that book a few years ago.  :lol:

Humphrey Hamster Books -- Well done!

Lion Boy Trilogy -- we were riveted from the go, both with the story & the narration. It's more then a "once off" type listen book

Olga DaPolga Books -- my boys really love these stories, & I agree they are well done

City Of Ember -- of you've seen the movie you have to read the book, it's so much better & explains so much that was lacking

The Evolution of Calpurna Tate -- love, love, love. If you have a naturalist amongst you it's a great listen for sure.

Ramona Series -- It's Ramona, we love her.

A Christmas Carol -- we have one done by Tim Curry and it's beautifully done. He does make an amazing narrator yes?

Mary Poppins -- still struggle with Book 1 in that series because she's not the rosy cheeked nurse I expect, but it's well done all the same

The Pennderwick Series -- I really love these books & the narration of them is great

Nims Island 

Mr Poppers Penguins -- lots of sound effects

The Water Horse -- totally different from the movie & oh so lovely!!

My Side Of The Mountain -- really loved this, but I suspect if you have a copy of the book you might want to peek inside for a few portions {like when he describes his drawings..}

Charlie Bone Series -- the first book sounds rough in regards to a bit of static in the recording, but it's still worth listening to because it lays the ground for th rest of the series. Hubs is so excited to listen to these with the kids this year

The Miraculous Journey Of Edward Tulane -- well done, the narrator was perfect

Despereaux -- I know some people found the story depressing, but we could not stop listening

• Like 4

Kolamum, are the 39 Clues books ok that way?  I was looking at them and then thought maybe the kindle version wouldn't have the clue card to put in online and therefore wouldn't be as fun?  Or it doesn't matter if you don't know?  Or it comes with one?

For those who get through a lot of audio books Scribd now has them and it's more like netflix where you get access to as much as you want while you are a member. It's $8.99 a month. We are finding it better value than audible because my daughter loves audiobooks but we do still use audible a lot for all the Terry Pratchett books on there

• Like 1

For those who get through a lot of audio books Scribd now has them and it's more like netflix where you get access to as much as you want while you are a member. It's $8.99 a month. We are finding it better value than audible because my daughter loves audiobooks but we do still use audible a lot for all the Terry Pratchett books on there

Wow, that has wild potential.  What app do you use to read them and can it do immersion reading (highlighting the text as it reads)?  They have audiobooks and ebooks or just audiobooks?

And how extensive have you found the selection?

I'm all about getting a million hours for one credit ;)

Some of the successes I have found for one credit:

The entire Ramona series

The entire Wizard of Oz series (91+ hours!)

We are on year 3 of listening to the Ramona series (on continuous repeat) as it's my kids' (DD8, DS5) favorite audiobook.  Best single credit ever spent.  Now I want the Wizard of Oz series; hopefully they'll take a break from Ramona to try it out!

• Like 1

Wow, that has wild potential.  What app do you use to read them and can it do immersion reading (highlighting the text as it reads)?  They have audiobooks and ebooks or just audiobooks?

And how extensive have you found the selection?

It has its own app for most platforms. I use it on kindle hdx and another android tablet. I don't think it does immersion reading but I've not checked. They've only had audio books a relatively short time so it could be worth keeping an eye on in case that feature gets added.

The selection is pretty decent too. I'm pretty certain you can browse the library before signing up as I did. There's also a free trial. I really like that they also have a lot of current comics and graphic novels, the kids read them a lot too. 

• Like 1

Yes. Why pay for a few audiobooks when you can get scores of them for free? And whether it's couth or not, after you download titles to your computer and then transfer the MP3s to a Kindle (or SD card), they stay until deleted.

Get the overdrive app and see if your library is on there. Make an account, plug in your library account and download free!! You can check out audio books for up to 3 weeks!!!!! I use my old iPhone for this.

Pitterpatter, you should be receiving the emails.  Maybe check your account settings?  It seems like about once a month, every other month, they have a deal.  They just finished up a deal with curated lists where all the books were $4.95 each.  They frequently do deals with lists of books that will be $1.95 or $2.95 or $3.95.  They ran 1/2 off the whole place a while back.  They just ran a deal where you use 4 credits and they'll send you a $10 credit for your account.  Since there are many sub-$10 books, that $10 can equal several books.  

For me, it's more just am I keeping my wishlist stocked so I can take advantage of all the deals as they come through.  

Ds is listening to the Russell Freedman book on Crazy Horse right now and enjoys it.  He listened to George vs. George earlier this morning.  These readers are WAY better than I would be, and it just fits his life better to have the portable audio and the ability to play. 

• Like 1

So when you are taking advantage of the "deals" or sales, are you just buying the audiobooks outright or using your member credits?  That's what I don't get. For example, I'm looking to get a book, Children of the Longhouse, for a short camping trip, which is $5.56 or 1 credit for members.  Well, I'm paying $14.95/month to get that 1 credit so it makes no sense to use it on a book that costs less. Why would they even do that? It's insulting. 

• Like 1

I didn't use credits if the book cost less than a credit. I suppose the computer programmers could have changed the default option below a certain price point, but what would that price point be? People pay different amounts for a credit. Just don't use a credit if the numbers aren't in your favor.

EXACTLY!!

And, the books we would use cost less than the monthly fee.

Besides Audible having audiobooks that seemingly aren't available elsewhere, what is the benefit?

So when they have the sales, are they for members only or for anyone?  

I'm still trying to figure out why the heck I need to have a membership with monthly fee.

I believe the sales are just for members. I downgraded my membership to the lowest level. For $10 per year I retain my mebership but get no credits. There may be better levels I'm not aware of. I get emails of the sales and the daily deals. It works for me right now.

• Like 1