Menu

Nourishing Traditions people.....some questions

I am just wondering what is different about your diet, your cooking, the food in your cupboard, since reading NT. How has it affected your approach to food and cooking?

What are your favourite recipes?

For me, I am making my own long fermented bread, I am making "crispy nuts" regularly, and I tend to soak all grains before cooking if I remember in time. For example, if I use brown rice I will soak it. If I want to make porridge I will tend to soak it overnight.

I have tried some other recipes like beet kvass, and mould tends to form quite quickly which is disappointing.

Everybody's tummies feel better!! We give the children lots of buttermilk smoothies along with the soaked grains. I have an abundance of raw milk and I make buttermilk from it with store bought cultured buttermilk and that is normally what I use for soaking.

Tricia

www.mommyx12.blogspot.com

I did use raw milk for a while, and I loved it. It is so expensive, though. Unfortunately rising grocery prices have meant I needed to cut back on ideals.

Peela, I don't really know much about Nourishing Traditions, aside from seeing it mentioned in a few threads here. I know I do try to give brown rice a good long soak (18hrs or so) whenever possible.

With the long fermenting bread, do you use commercial yeast or wild yeasts?

I'm "cook" but have never been much of a "baker" but I read with interest a book by Nancy Silverton a few years back on how she got a natural starter going from wild yeasts from grape skins and how she keeps it perpetuated. Interesting read.

Bill

[quote name=Spy Car;517479

With the long fermenting bread' date=' do you use commercial yeast or wild yeasts?

I'm "cook" but have never been much of a "baker" but I read with interest a book by Nancy Silverton a few years back on how she got a natural starter going from wild yeasts from grape skins and how she keeps it perpetuated. Interesting read.

Bill

I haven't yet ventured to sourdough (I did try recently but wasn't very good at taking care of it so it went mouldy) but my bread recipe makes 3-4 decent sized loaves with 1/2 tsp of commercial yeast. When you leave the dough out for a good 6-12 hours (overnight) the yeast has plenty of time to work and completely transforms. The problems people have with commerical yeast are because the bakeries use so much of it to make their bread rise quickly so they can make more money- therefore there is a lot of yeast, and the bread is cooked before the yeast has fully transformed so it tends to ferment in your stomach instead. Traditionally people always left dough to rise for many hours...nowadays, it's risen too quick and therefore people have lots of problems with digesting bread.

However, I do intend to explore the realm of sourdough starters at some stage.

A friend of mine has this bread recipe, which I am using, up on his website (scroll down). Well, probably more info than you want, Bill, but maybe someone else is interested.

http://www.2die4livefoods.com.au/recipes.html

Hi There,

I am wanting to do whatever I need to do regarding drinking raw milk. Do you ferment it before you drink it? Also, how do you make kefir? I've heard a few ways.....what's the most popular?

Carrie:-)

We just drink the raw milk as is.

There are two ways of making kefir. You can either purchase starter packets which are a powder and follow the directions, or find someone who makes it from live grains and ask them to pass a few on to you. I had some of these but my family didn't like the kefir. I passed the grains on to a friend and she killed them.

Here is an excellent website about kefir.

I think Bill is talking about the natural yeast breads (see page 492 in your NT) I haven't tried this.

Yes, natural yeast breads. They sound interesting to the "primitivist" in me, and are somewhat involved to get going. Somehow bread-making is the one area that has eluded me thus far.

From the little I'm able to glean on-line, it doesn't sound like we are too far off from this kind of NT diet ourselves. I just checked and our library system has a copy, so I ordered it. Couldn't hurt :001_smile:

Bill

We just drink the raw milk as is.

There are two ways of making kefir. You can either purchase starter packets which are a powder and follow the directions, or find someone who makes it from live grains and ask them to pass a few on to you. I had some of these but my family didn't like the kefir. I passed the grains on to a friend and she killed them.

Here is an excellent website about kefir.

Can you just use a little plain kefir to make more as with youghurt?

:auto:

Yes, natural yeast breads. They sound interesting to the "primitivist" in me, and are somewhat involved to get going. Somehow bread-making is the one area that has eluded me thus far.

From the little I'm able to glean on-line, it doesn't sound like we are too far off from this kind of NT diet ourselves. I just checked and our library system has a copy, so I ordered it. Couldn't hurt :001_smile:

I take it you have found Weston A. Price?

I guess I'll have to give natural yeast a shot. I agree it sounds interesting.

I forgot to mention I also love the NT bone stock recipes.

I take it you have found Weston A. Price?

I guess I'll have to give natural yeast a shot. I agree it sounds interesting.

I forgot to mention I also love the NT bone stock recipes.

You know, I have run into his web-site a few times (via WTM), but I've always come way wondering if he's an internet wacko??? :confused:

Don't know what to make of it, am I missing something? :bigear:

Bill

ETA I forgot to mention I love bone stock :)

You know, I have run into his web-site a few times (via WTM), but I've always come way wondering if he's an internet wacko??? :confused:

Don't know what to make of it, am I missing something? :bigear:

Bill

ETA I forgot to mention I love bone stock :)

If you "Enter the site" there appears to be a collection of informative articles.

The truth is I have never really been there.

ETA: What resources have you used?

Lots of good stuff over at WAP Foundation. He's been dead a while now, so he's not an internet wacko.

They can be pretty militant in their views, but they back it up with documented research.

Worth exploring their site, reading their articles.

I, personally, find their site design execrable. But the info is good. And I like their magazine that comes with membership in the organization.

Lots of good stuff over at WAP Foundation. He's been dead a while now, so he's not an internet wacko.

They can be pretty militant in their views, but they back it up with documented research.

Worth exploring their site, reading their articles.

I, personally, find their site design execrable. But the info is good. And I like their magazine that comes with membership in the organization.

The funny thing is I agree with most of what I read on this site, perhaps "raw liver" drink doesn't appeal (although I do like rare liver), but the "militant" tone you mention does give me a feeling of unease, even as I'm tending to agree.

I get the feeling "Black helicopters" are starting to circle, and I start to go into "skeptical" mode.

Does that makes sense?

Bill

The funny thing is I agree with most of what I read on this site, perhaps "raw liver" drink doesn't appeal (although I do like rare liver), but the "militant" tone you mention does give me a feeling of unease, even as I'm tending to agree.

I get the feeling "Black helicopters" are starting to circle, and I start to go into "skeptical" mode.

Does that makes sense?

Bill

Perfectly. My tinfoil-hat radar goes off, too. My wife and I extract the data we need from the "noise" and ignore the rest. If the article links to verifiable, peer reviewed research, we treat it with a different level of of credibility than the blatant opinion pieces.

But that's how we are with just about everything.

NT has a collection of raw meat recipes and reasons why it is supposedly good for you. No, thank you.

We are NT (mostly) here.

I don't ferment veg's very well but when I have some time i'd like to figure it out.

I agree with the raw milk is better but it's hard to get here. Once in a while I will buy orgainc milk for a recipe but for the most part i only buy it when I'm making kefir.

We've done both milk and water kefir but I took a break a month ago (neglected it) :(

I use the menu mailer. Kerryann's on the boards now. she's a great source of info.

You don't need kefir to make whey. Buy some milk and leave it on the counter until it separates. The liquid that strains out from the curds is your whey.

You can do this or you can put yogurt (use good quality full fat yogurt) in cheesecloth and let it drip into a bowl until it stops dripping. I hang my cheesecloth from the cabinet door handle and let it drip all day long. The drippings are whey. Put it in a jar and put in refrigerator. The left over stuff is cream cheese. It's good too.

I also agree with the poster that suggested to use whey and not the salt in place of it for fermented veggies. The salt does make it way too salty.

I think Bill is talking about the natural yeast breads (see page 492 in your NT) I haven't tried this.

Yes, natural yeast bread IS sourdough bread. It just uses yeasts collected from the atmosphere and/or grapeskins, instead of commercial yeast. You can also make natural yeast/ sourdough starters using a small amount from another starter, like with yoghurt. Some sourdough starters have been passed down for generations.

ETA: not that you can use yoghurt as a starter, I didnt mean to imply that- just the same idea of using a little bit to make the next batch applies to natural yeast starters as well.

hmmm

does anyone have a link to really easy and detailed steps for fermented vegs?

I tired a few times and i tossed it up to user error (mine)

:)

I don't have a link but you can google it. I use the NT book. There are lots of good recipes in that book. Also, Wild Fermentation is a great book too. Check with your library to see if they have them before you buy. Mine had both. Although, I do own NT now.