Menu

I think we have bedbugs

El...

Look up information about killing them in the dryer. You may not have to wash everything. When I had bedbugs I remember finding guidelines for how hot a dryer needed to be to kill the bugs.

I believe it's 120 degrees for 20 minutes in the dryer. My dryer at home doesn't get hot enough so I had to take my laundry to the laundromat and bake it in their dryers.

We ended up going with an exterminator. Cost $1500 or so. We had to put everything in the affected rooms into black trash bags, have him come and spray the furniture (bugs can hide anywhere--picture frames, wooden furniture...anywhere.)

Then slowly over the next few weeks we took things out of the bags and inspected everything item by item. Some things that couldn't be dried (leather jackets) we just bagged up and waited for over a year to go by until we unbagged it. They can hibernate for a year.

We don't travel much anymore. Living obsessively out of ziplock bags in a hotel room is a huge pain. We don't use luggage anymore. We travel with big plastic trash bags with twistie ties and clear zliplock bags for smaller items. Such a pain that everytime you want something you have to rifle through all those bags and twistie ties to get it.

I hate bedbugs.

:cursing:  :crying: &*^*&^#&^%#&)#(*!_* :willy_nilly:

Renai, queen of the internet emoticons, I really need a cursing emoticon right now, and I don't know how to add one.  I have the kids here so I'm not cursing out loud.

We've done a lot of traveling in the past month.  Right after we got back, Dd got four bites on her cheek.  I thought they were spider bites and changed her sheets.  I didn't find anything.

Now, for the last 4 nights I've been eaten alive.  I have over 50 bites on my neck and arms, and a few on my sides.  They look like the bite marks and bite patterns online.

I've spent the morning online, and am about to go on the warpath with a vacuum cleaner, new anti-bedbug mattress covers, and diatomaceous earth insect killer in large quantities.  I also have the washer and dryer ready to wash every fabric in the room, and little traps for under the feet of the bed.  I plan to deep clean and add killer to a room every day for the next 6 weeks or so.

I have not yet found any bugs. 

I bought a large quantity of Dr. Pepper while I was out getting the gear. 

Tell me it can't be bedbugs!  Give me advice!  Pray for me!  Wish me luck, I'm going in! 

supposedly diatomaceous earth works.  Cheap and easy to use.

I was wondeirng if it was no seeums, when you said you had the windows open. Regular screens often can't keep out the smaller gnatlike bugs, and no seeum bites are awful.

I was wondering this as well. Are all the bites in areas that are not covered by clothing? If there are no bites on your butt, etc. and are many on face, neck, arms etc., maybe it is some sort of " no see um." I don't think they crawl in your clothing like chiggers...

Good luck!

I was wondering this as well. Are all the bites in areas that are not covered by clothing? If there are no bites on your butt, etc. and are many on face, neck, arms etc., maybe it is some sort of " no see um." I don't think they crawl in your clothing like chiggers...

Good luck!

That's what I'm thinking at this point.  I thought the name was a joke when a local friend mentioned those.  In fact, I realized that I mowed the yard in a tank top (what a hussy, I know :biggrinjester: ) and found the bites the next day.  The bites are pretty much on the skin that was exposed.  They aren't all over - only neck, shoulders, arms and hands. 

I want to move wherever they don't have these.  Sigh. 

There is one more possibility: the cat.  I can't find fleas on her, but she's going to the vet pretty soon.  I woke up this morning to find her next to my head on the bed.  But flea bites would be more evenly distributed, I bet. 

• Like 1