Menu

I think we have bedbugs

El...

:cursing:  :crying: &*^*&^#&^%#&)#(*!_* :willy_nilly:

Renai, queen of the internet emoticons, I really need a cursing emoticon right now, and I don't know how to add one.  I have the kids here so I'm not cursing out loud.

We've done a lot of traveling in the past month.  Right after we got back, Dd got four bites on her cheek.  I thought they were spider bites and changed her sheets.  I didn't find anything.

Now, for the last 4 nights I've been eaten alive.  I have over 50 bites on my neck and arms, and a few on my sides.  They look like the bite marks and bite patterns online.

I've spent the morning online, and am about to go on the warpath with a vacuum cleaner, new anti-bedbug mattress covers, and diatomaceous earth insect killer in large quantities.  I also have the washer and dryer ready to wash every fabric in the room, and little traps for under the feet of the bed.  I plan to deep clean and add killer to a room every day for the next 6 weeks or so.

I have not yet found any bugs. 

I bought a large quantity of Dr. Pepper while I was out getting the gear. 

Tell me it can't be bedbugs!  Give me advice!  Pray for me!  Wish me luck, I'm going in! 

• Like 1

I am sorry.  It was hell for us when we went through it.

Yes, to diatamaceous earth.  We had to take apart the beds and clean them with a pressure washer.  Vacuum cleaner was not enough.  Made CO2 traps using dry ice too.  

Don't forget pillow covers. 

Check the books/magazines near the beds too.  We had to bake our books. :(

• Like 2

Been there several years ago after just one night out-of-state.

Thankfully we eventually came to the conclusion that the majority of the bites came from when we were there.  I found one dead one at home, no others.  I took everything out of each room and went crazy vacuuming and washing.  I got a huge bag of diatomaceous earth from the garden center. For weeks afterwards I checked the beds and everywhere else with a flashlight.

Now when I travel I check the room before anyone goes in, we put the suitcases up on dressers or racks, and NOTHING comes in the house until I can wash or isolate outside in black garbage bags.

No outbreak since, but we're travelling later this summer...

• Like 2

Tip from our exterminator friend- Put a heating pad on your bed and turn it on.  Walk away and check it in 30min to an hour.  This will show you if you have bed bugs.  Otherwise, you could have something else and spend the time going after the wrong bed.  

What will you see?   Will you be able to see the bugs on the heating pad?

Been there, done that. The good news is you caught this early. The bad news is that washing alone isn't enough. You're going to want to wash all bedding and clothes in HOT water, dry in a HOT dryer, then toss whatever you had with you on vacation into double layer of ziplocks for a few months, preferably in a deep freezer. Bedbugs can survive a really long time without food - they're not like lice.

The DE is good. It's not sufficient to have it just on and around the bedframe. You also need it around the baseboards, and around any place where your family spends several hours a day. Bedbugs are willing to travel something like a thousand feet to get to food (although they're lazy, and tend to just stay where they are if they can), so you'll also want to vacuum every day... and reapply the DE each time. If you have or can obtain a steam vacuum, so much the better. I strongly suggest you get some IGR, which, though it won't kill the darned things, will prevent them from entering mature adulthood and reproducing. Apply it liberally around your beds before you put down the DE.

There is no point trying spray pesticides - the bugs scatter and get deeper into the cracks and whatnot, making them harder to get out.

If anybody reading this is traveling, I strongly suggest you go buy some heavy duty large sized ziplocks. Keep your possessions inside your suitcases and bags inside the ziplocks, only take them out when using them. Check all beds and bedding for bedbugs before sitting down - hotels are not always so good at checking for themselves. Bedbugs will tend to congregate under the hem of the mattress or around the corner elastic of the sheets. When you get home, don't bring anything into your house until it's been washed in HOT water and dried in a HOT drier and check it all carefully. You can even get ziplocks big enough to shove your suitcase into between now and next vacation.

• Like 3

It seems to be working.   The stories I have heard of finding bedbugs in laptops from some of DH's friends scare me.  

Laptops have everything bedbugs need. They're warm, and they stay near human beings who are sitting very still for long periods of time. It's not really feasible to steam clean them either, nor to shove them in a deep freezer for a long time.

On the plus size, you can unscrew the casing and carefully kill every bedbug and crush all their little eggs. Laptops aren't that big, so this is something that can be done if you trust yourself not to break your laptop forever.

Thanks, guys!  I haven't been able to find any actual bugs yet.  I'll try the heating pad trick.  I'd really like a confirmation of what this is, but I'm treating it like bedbugs until I know something else....

Been there, done that. The good news is you caught this early. The bad news is that washing alone isn't enough. You're going to want to wash all bedding and clothes in HOT water, dry in a HOT dryer, then toss whatever you had with you on vacation into double layer of ziplocks for a few months, preferably in a deep freezer. Bedbugs can survive a really long time without food - they're not like lice.

The DE is good. It's not sufficient to have it just on and around the bedframe. You also need it around the baseboards, and around any place where your family spends several hours a day. Bedbugs are willing to travel something like a thousand feet to get to food (although they're lazy, and tend to just stay where they are if they can), so you'll also want to vacuum every day... and reapply the DE each time. If you have or can obtain a steam vacuum, so much the better. I strongly suggest you get some IGR, which, though it won't kill the darned things, will prevent them from entering mature adulthood and reproducing. Apply it liberally around your beds before you put down the DE.

There is no point trying spray pesticides - the bugs scatter and get deeper into the cracks and whatnot, making them harder to get out.

If anybody reading this is traveling, I strongly suggest you go buy some heavy duty large sized ziplocks. Keep your possessions inside your suitcases and bags inside the ziplocks, only take them out when using them. Check all beds and bedding for bedbugs before sitting down - hotels are not always so good at checking for themselves. Bedbugs will tend to congregate under the hem of the mattress or around the corner elastic of the sheets. When you get home, don't bring anything into your house until it's been washed in HOT water and dried in a HOT drier and check it all carefully. You can even get ziplocks big enough to shove your suitcase into between now and next vacation.

Thank you!  What is IGR?

We had bedbugs.  It appears they came with the house.  We ended up purchasing a kit from some pest site online.  We sprayed whatever chemicals were given, use the DE (make sure you get every single crack like windowsills, baseboards, wooden floor cracks, dressers, picture frames, wooden mirrors, even electric outlets), repeated every 3 weeks for like 3 or 4 rounds.  We also threw out our mattresses (this house was really bad), our blankets (ewwwww bed bug blood) and pillows, most of our couches (we needed somewhere to sit so some got chemical treatment and will be tossed once we have money for another couch set), wooden bed frames (they can hide in cracks in wood).  We bagged/boxed all our clothes and toys and books and took them downstairs.  It's been like 6months and I'm finally starting to empty out the bags/boxes and wash them.  You will see them most likely.  They are most prominent on the edges of mattresses.  And at night, take a light and watch the bed and floor.  You can see them crawling around.  I still keep an eye out for them.  We all slept in one area for the first round.  Then we bought new mattresses (nothing fancy, just to have a place to sleep), blankets and pillows (we did not purchase the bed bug resistant covers for the mattresses, too expensive).  Our frames are now metal (easier to clean and check).  No more bedbugs, but we will continue randomly treating the house.  Worst experience EVER.

Ok.  It MIGHT not be bedbugs.  Help me problem solve, if you would. 

I tore apart the bedroom last night.  I took the bed all the way apart.  I inspected everything, and I mean I cut the lining off the bottom of the box spring and looked inside.  I used a large flashlight and tweezers, and gathered about 10 dead bugs from our room (which is also horrifying).  I just got back from the pest control company; they identified every one and not one is a bed bug.  I saw no bugs that looked like what the guy described. 

I washed and dried the pillows and sheets, all hot hot hot.  I washed the metal frame.  I cleaned the carpet, edged and did the baseboard.  I put the luggage outside in black plastic to heat in the sun.  I vacuumed the mattress and box spring, got in every crease, and found nothing.  Then I put special bed bug-specific zippered cases on the mattress and box and put the bed carefully back together with clean sheets that never touched the ground.  I washed the vacuum canister and parts.  I cried some.

I've got horrible, itching, painful and sometimes weeping (I scratched) raised red bumps on the underside of my chin, a few spots on my cheek and front chin, all over my shoulders, down my arms, on my chest, and a few on my torso.  There is a bump on each hip, oddly symmetrically located.  I would guess there are 50-60 bumps.

I have a cat.  She's on a prescription flea and tick preventor.  She sleeps on my bed.  I found a few dead bugs near the cat box but the guy said they were baby roaches.  We just had the house sprayed for general pest control early last week, which may have flushed them out.  I just looked her over very thoroughly and found absolutely no bugs on her.  Lucky her, because I was warming up to giving her a bath.

Could it be a heat rash from Hades?  I have a Dr apt for tomorrow.  Our AC was out for five days (in Florida).  It's been hot.  It was in the 90s in the house.  Our windows were screened but open. 

I'm the only one with this problem.  DH has experienced no bites.  DD had a few bites on her cheek two weeks ago, but that might have been a spider, which was my first thought back then.  DS has had no spots, though he gets in MY BED every morning. 

Could this by chicken pox?  I mean, I had them as a child, but perhaps not hard enough?  I have no fever. 

AAAAAGH.  Thank you for listening.

We had this happen a few years back.  (We bought a wooden loft bed frame from Goodwill.  I haven't set foot in a Goodwill since.)  Whatever you do, don't set off a bug bomb.  Like a pp said, the bugs scatter and they go into breeding overdrive because they are being threatened.  I was bit all over and DH didn't get any bites.  We thought one of the kids had chicken pox.  Check the beds after everyone goes to sleep tonight.  As awful as that is, that is how we discovered ours.  Goodwill paid for a pest control company to come in.  It took seven visits.  We completely moved out of the house--all our stuff, everything.  It was a mistake not to sleep in the house though because they need to come out of hiding to crawl through the poison and die.  When we moved out, they just went into hibernation mode (which they can stay in up to a year).

So, so, so sorry!!!!  It was a nightmare but we made it through.  You will too!!

Ok.  I bought a different laundry soap about 12 days ago, Tide with Febreeze.  Maybe I'm reacting to it.

I sweat like a pig.  I've been going to karate classes for the past few months.  I drip sweat down my chin and arms when I work out, especially down my neck.  I wash my workout gear, which is sort of heavy for the activity, with the new soap. 

I'm going to make a couple of the bedbug traps I've found online, including the one with yeast.  We shall see.

I'm glad it looks like it ISN'T bed bugs!

We've never had them in our home, but my FIL did. Big time. Large 3 story home infested... and he didn't realize it until WE came up one Christmas! It was terrible! The sweet man had been allowing random people, with no other place to go, to bed down in his house, and it appears they brought some "friends" (bugs) with them (it's the only thing I can think of, as my FIL doesn't travel, or even leave his house). 

It cost him $2-3K to get rid of the bugs... in exterminator and pesticide fees. Then he had to replace the downstairs furniture on top of it. At least you caught it early, if it IS bed bugs, as my FIL's problem is that it looked like they had been festering in there for months and months.

You can be allergic to roaches as well (I have a son allergic to cockroaches).  Everything you mention (detergent, heat, chicken pox/shingles) could be a possibility.  If the doctor determines it is not a medical cause, then I would change your laundry detergent.  Really nothing you can do about the heat.  My younger son gets horrible heat rashes, which is why we actually did not suspect bedbugs at first.  It sounds like you have an exterminator so I wouldn't worry as much about the roaches in case you are allergic.  So far it doesn't seem like bedbugs which is really good news.

Thanks so much, you guys.  It has not been a great day, but on the other hand, it hasn't been terrible!  I just searched the couch I'm sitting on and found dead bugs but not bedbugs.  I flipped it upside down and went over it with a flashlight.  I collected the few I found in tape and will ask the pest guy to look at them tomorrow. 

My rash has spread in a few spots and some of the spots are weeping.  This is gross.  I'm SO going to the Dr tomorrow.  Good night! 

My guesses would be poison oak or shingles.

I'm guessing poison oak or ivy, too.  I had a horrid case earlier this year, and my initial thought was  bedbugs, too, because before the poison ivy spread, it looked a bit like the bed bug bite images on the internet.

ETA:  Sounds like systemic poison ivy, too.

Spiders?

There was once when I was freaked out we might have bed bugs. Turns out it was a little cluster of spiders. The bites are nasty and they have a similar bite pattern in that they walk along and bite as they go so you get bites in rows.

They're much easier to get rid of. In fact, with all that cleaning, you probably already did...

ETA: Also, spider bites are much more likely to get all infected looking and oozy. My father had several that were so bad he had to go to the emergency room (part of that was he's on blood thinners, but still).

Ok.  I bought a different laundry soap about 12 days ago, Tide with Febreeze.  Maybe I'm reacting to it.

I was going to ask if you'd recently started using a new detergent or bath/body product. That may be the culprit. DD and I discovered we were reacting to Tide, and switching to the scent-free detergent solved the problem. (I'm not sure if they changed the formula or I developed an allergy to something in the detergent as an adult. DD has always had sensitive skin, but I never had issues previously when using Tide or other scented laundry products.)

ETA: On second thought, what you're describing doesn't sound like a contact allergy. I don't think weeping is associated with that kind of rash.

It might be carpet beetles.  We worried for awhile about bedbugs, but tore everything apart looking for them, never found any, but found carpet beetles.  The good news is they don't actually bite you, but the hairy larvae cause similar itchy rash symptoms.  They are really, really hard to get rid of, they can live in the walls, outdoors and move inside seasonally, etc.  They seem to have come with our house. I started reacting sooner than the rest of the family, the allergens take awhile to build up. But we all react now.  Anyway, do a search and see if the bugs you found are carpet beetles.

:cursing:  :crying: &*^*&^#&^%#&)#(*!_* :willy_nilly:

Renai, queen of the internet emoticons, I really need a cursing emoticon right now, and I don't know how to add one.  I have the kids here so I'm not cursing out loud.

We've done a lot of traveling in the past month.  Right after we got back, Dd got four bites on her cheek.  I thought they were spider bites and changed her sheets.  I didn't find anything.

Now, for the last 4 nights I've been eaten alive.  I have over 50 bites on my neck and arms, and a few on my sides.  They look like the bite marks and bite patterns online.

I've spent the morning online, and am about to go on the warpath with a vacuum cleaner, new anti-bedbug mattress covers, and diatomaceous earth insect killer in large quantities.  I also have the washer and dryer ready to wash every fabric in the room, and little traps for under the feet of the bed.  I plan to deep clean and add killer to a room every day for the next 6 weeks or so.

I have not yet found any bugs. 

I bought a large quantity of Dr. Pepper while I was out getting the gear. 

Tell me it can't be bedbugs!  Give me advice!  Pray for me!  Wish me luck, I'm going in! 

Praying for you!

Check the corners of the bed frame.  Lift up the mattress.  If you see small dots that look like blood, you've got bedbugs.    One of mine travels a lot and I disinfect like a maniac, and everything goes in trashbags after travel. 

My rash has spread in a few spots and some of the spots are weeping.  This is gross.  I'm SO going to the Dr tomorrow.  Good night! 

Doesn't sound like the bites we had.  Ours were more like big mosquito bites that took a few days to go away.  Maybe that is a good(?!?) sign?

The Dr was very helpful, and listened well!  The spots are bites.  They might be flea or bedbug, but they are bug.  I do not have chicken pox, shingles, scabies, lice, or heat rash.  She prescribed an oral steroid to calm down the bite reactions. 

She said the bite distribution didn't really match either bedbugs or flees.

The kids now have a few bites each.  I may have found one bedbug in DS's bed just before we went to the Dr, so the war is still on.  In any case, the treatment for bedbugs should knock out any lesser insects in my path! 

Also, I'm making the yeast-based CO2 traps this afternoon, and we shall see!  The Dr said the steroid might cause insomnia, but it can't be any worse than it is now!  I was up quite a bit going around with a flashlight!

One thing I've read is to not move around.  If you sleep somewhere different in the house, they will follow you and spread out more.  Also, washing does nothing in that they can crawl out of a washer.  Hot, hot, dryer heat first I was always told, then wash and dry(again), and seal up while you do the whole house.

They can infest books, and even hide behind light switches in the wall.   Packtite (or whatever is the current gadget) to heat treat all books and seal away until the house is clear.

The various sprays are generally not helpful.  DE works, but quite slowly.

I really wish they would come up with a *real* treatment already.  The bedbug thing is my fear, and we always take major precautions when traveling.  Hugs.

An update on the war against insects!  I can't find any bedbugs.  And by "I can't find," I mean I have ripped the liners off every box spring and off the upholstered furniture to check, and I have opened electric outlets and plugs to check.  I have crawled around and under things with the large flashlight. 

I have found a variety of small household insects, mostly dead or dead very soon after, bagged them, and sent their close-ups to the lovely county extension agent, who IDed them all and, I'm pretty sure, thinks I am insane. 

My bites are improving, thanks to the steroid meds. 

A friend told me about a stinging gnat that swarms this time of year, and since the bites are all where the blanket doesn't cover, I think those might be the culprits. 

At this point, I'm deep cleaning the whole entire house.  Everything fabric is getting washed with hot water, ever piece of furniture is wearing a light coating of DE, and every baseboard is lined with the stuff, too.  I tell you, this house is getting CLEANED! 

I also changed laundry soaps, just in case. 

I guess I wanted to deep clean anyway.  The water bill is going to be high!

• Like 3