Menu

AP economics texts

My son prefers to read books. After searching thoroughly this forum, I found McConnell/Brue Economics as the suggested text. Could you please tell what edition book are you using lately? Any other texts that are popular, please advice.

Thank you,

Sri

Krugman's Economics for AP is a popular choice for AP Econ teachers because it is aligned well with the AP exams. It's based on Krugman's Economics texts for College but was modified into a more modular approach by AP teachers and incorporates AP type questions (multiple choice and FRQ). The modules are mini-chapters and usually cover just one or two concepts. One teacher suggested a pace of two days per module on average.

Here's a link to a pdf of the Macro version of the book. There is also a separate Micro text and a combined text.

Plansrme, the latest edition of McConnell/Bruce Economics is 20th edition. That's the reason I got confused when I read you & few others used 16th edition. Could you please tell when your child took an AP exam ? That may help me to make up a decision.

Plansrme, the latest edition of McConnell/Bruce Economics is 20th edition. That's the reason I got confused when I read you & few others used 16th edition. Could you please tell when your child took an AP exam ? That may help me to make up a decision.

She took it in eighth grade; she is a rising senior now.  It was the same material I learned in college in in 1985--edition is highly unimportant.  At the time, there was a 17th edition in common use and possibly a brand new 18th edition.  The only thing we supplemented was game theory, and that only with a handout I found on the internet somewhere.

3andme, Krugman's Economics for AP  book looks real expensive for me. I may wait on that. Thank you for your suggestion.

I agree - it's really expensive.  I was able to get a brand new 2015 edition for $30 on ebay, Of course, that's still a lot more than an old edition of McConnell.  If you're still interested, you can set up a saved search on ebay to monitor the new listings. I've seen some go for as low as $25.