Menu

Ok, so crazy question....London, in an RV??

earthyfamily

We're planning a family trip to London, England. How realistic is it to hope that we might be able to rent an RV there and tour London in that fashion?  It would make things A LOT easier for our family I think. But I am worried about a few things.  Getting the RV (not being familiar with the area), getting to and from the airport (instead of the really easy Heathrow Express), driving in London (congestion charges, low emission areas, street sizes, oh my!!!) and parking.  Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!

Um, I think that would be nuts!  :lol:  An RV in a city is already something I can't imagine, plus London's streets are completely narrow and twisty (there's a reason Europeans drive smaller cars), and there's no parking anywhere, no less for an RV.  And you're driving it on the wrong side of the street!!!

Our family visited London last summer.  I highly recommend Airbnb.  We got a whole flat with two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, even our own garden, for less than we'd pay for a hotel room.  So we could cook ourselves as well.  And SO much easier getting around on the Tube than in a car!!  You can go everywhere easily and faster than in a car (no less an RV!  I'm getting the faints just thinking about it!)

• Like 11

That's definitely the first time I've heard that idea. No, I wouldn't do it. Also consider the costs of gasoline in UK; you may be cheaper at a B&B and renting a van. Why would a camper be easier? Just to make it more relatable, would you take a camper van to NYC?

A member of the family going with us has travel related anxieties that would, just to put it more simply, make having a toilet nearby at all times quite handy.  And I've never been to NYC, so I couldn't really say.

Um, I think that would be nuts!  :lol:  An RV in a city is already something I can't imagine, plus London's streets are completely narrow and twisty (there's a reason Europeans drive smaller cars), and there's no parking anywhere, no less for an RV.  And you're driving it on the wrong side of the street!!!

Our family visited London last summer.  I highly recommend Airbnb.  We got a whole flat with two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, even our own garden, for less than we'd pay for a hotel room.  So we could cook ourselves as well.  And SO much easier getting around on the Tube than in a car!!  You can go everywhere easily and faster than in a car (no less an RV!  I'm getting the faints just thinking about it!)

We were figuring that if the double decker buses can navigate the streets, perhaps an RV could as well.  Parking was a concern.

As mentioned before, with the travel related anxieties that one member of the travel party has, the tube is not an option.

ETA: Also, the entire party is vegetarian and being able to cook some of our own meals would be quite helpful.  I'm also a bit of a hotel snob...the rv would be entirely for travel purposes, not sleeping.

• Like 1

There is no way I'd do it.  We are avid campers.  We have done big RV trips in Canada and the US.  We also lived in London for two years.  There is *no way* I would take an RV there.  No way at all.  The traffic is tricky enough as it is.  The countryside is full of tiny little winding roads.  I don't remember seeing a lot of RV amenities (Flying J's or something similar, RV parks, etc, but I'm sure they have some.  

Canada is pretty RV friendly, but we were really impressed by how easy it is to RV in the US.  The UK would be tough.  I think it would be especially tough for someone used to touring around in the US.  

In the UK they call it a "caravan", not an "RV", and when we lived there we didn't know one person who went "caravanning".  Most people thought we were weird when we talked about the camping we did in Canada - I think they thought we couldn't afford a hotel.  

Anyway, if I thought camping was the best way for our family to afford a trip to London, then I'd strongly suggest finding a campground on a tube line and then using public transit to tour London.  

• Like 8

The buses get special parking. As far as I know, rv s don't. Now touring the countryside might be a plan, but in the city no way. I don't know that I would drive a car in London. And it's on the wrong side of the road! That's very disorienting, even if you aren't driving.

• Like 2

A member of the family going with us has travel related anxieties that would, just to put it more simply, make having a toilet nearby at all times quite handy.  And I've never been to NYC, so I couldn't really say.

Maybe a travel van?  Or - and I'm serious here - a pack of Depends?  There are lots of public washrooms around.  

If you are driving in London you will spend a lot of time being stuck in traffic, getting frustrated with directions and round-a-bouts and tricky streets, and looking for parking spots.  We lived on the outer edge of London and we *always* took a tube in to town - we only drove into London once.  Most of the people we knew were the same - drive to the grocery store, sure.  Drive to the countryside.  But, drive right in the city?  Nope.

• Like 6

We were figuring that if the double decker buses can navigate the streets, perhaps an RV could as well.  Parking was a concern.

As mentioned before, with the travel related anxieties that one member of the travel party has, the tube is not an option.

I'd actually wager the double deckers are narrower than an RV, and the drivers are trained.  And again - opposite side of the street, and the roundabouts go in the opposite direction as well! (and there are many, many, many roundabouts).   And the buses don't ever have to park.  There really would be no way at all to park, ever.  You may be able to drive through London (and just hope you didn't mow anything down on the way), but you couldn't stop and get out to see anything till you were well on the other side...

Maybe stay close to downtown and take the bus everywhere?  There are lots of buses too!!

Have you ever been to a big, densely populated city?  NYC would actually be easier - at least the streets are straight, many are one-way, and much wider.  And you're driving on the same side.  And it would still be a nightmare...

• Like 2

It's been quite a few years now, but we rented an apartment for the week we stayed in London.  We cooked most of our own food; it was easy.  I'm pretty sure vegetarian options abound in London too.  There were loads of public restrooms around. I think but am not sure that tour buses that go further afield (day trips to Bath, that sort of thing) have bathrooms.

But also... we went through a time when one of our family members needed close proximity to a bathroom at all times for a medical problem that was exacerbated by anxiety.  There were simply things we could not do during those years.  It was hard on all of us, but... we just didn't risk the travel.  In your case, maybe an RV-friendly destination would be better.   As others have said, an RV in London would be extremely impractical if not impossible to manage.

• Like 6

No.  Just no.  We rented a little bitty European car in London to tour the countryside on our own (didn't use it in London at all...rode the tube) and that was one of the crazier things we did.  Navigating in and out of the city on the wrong side of the road was trickier than we anticipated (and we are used to major city driving).  

• Like 1

I don't think it is that difficult to get used to driving on the other side of the road - I seem to adjust fairly quickly between driving in the USA and the UK. The roads are alot narrower though. Your problem would be finding anywhere to park. I have to say - that would be a nightmare. You could avoid the tube by taking buses or trains - the trains have bathrooms. If public bathrooms aren't an option then I don't think London, or any big city, would be the most suitable at this time. There are lots of public bathrooms in London but you do have to pay 30p to use the ones in the train stations etc.

• Like 1

No way. Taking an RV to London would be movie-making worthy, after the fact. I'm not sure whether it would be a comedy, a tragedy, or a horror movie. (I lived in London for a year and NYC for nine years. No to an RV in both places.)

Don't know what to suggest for the bathroom issue. Depends (quite seriously) or a completely different type of a trip. Hope you can figure something out that works for you and yours.

Sorry, but I don't even think it would be possible. Hubby is British and laughed out loud when I asked him.

Even if you could find one to rent that allowed you to take it to London you would never be able to navigate and park it. You would end up walking just as far to get to various sites. Having been to London multiple times I truly do not see how it is even feasible.

Now, practically speaking. I am in a wheelchair and we keep a running tally of good and useable bathrooms wherever we go. If you follow the tube lines there will be reasonable bathrooms at each. Train stations as well. Plan strategic stops at places like Cafe Nero, Starbucks, or tea rooms. They are all ubiquitous in London, and all the major tourist destinations have large, well-lit bathrooms. If the person in your party has a disability, most places have a separate disabled toilet available by key. In fact, I have a radar key issued to me to access them...it may be possible to get a temporary one? That I don't know.

We are vegetarian as well and I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at your options! EVERY place will have at least one veggie option, more likely several. Even pubs! Even street food (make sure you indulge in a veggie or cheese and onion pasty!). Really, I love to go because I actually get food options there. Indian food is always awesome and a great veggie option. Chinese food too, and very different from the US.

• Like 4

Nope.... I'm not sure any company would rent you one to use IN London. Those double decker buses , I recall, have special stopping spots and don't go on EVERY London street, only major ones. Driving in London??? Nope, doable if I had to, but not part of a relaxing vacation.

If you really want to go, I would check out a map of bathrooms in London, carry coins for bathroom use, and get some depends/underjams depending on the age of the person.

If you must you could rent a small van to drive around, and maybe get a porta potty (if this is a kid, they make ones for potty training on the go, for adults, medical supply companies may have something). Parking will be an issue, but if you build in time and pre-plan, it could be doable, won't be easy.

ETA: My 1st summer in Europe I visited many countries and had several embarassing incidents that necessitated a bathroom to clean up (think pigeon poop in the hair, soda exploded on my pants, etc.) and I never had a problem finding a bathroom. Many times without $.

• Like 2

I would not want to even drive a car in London. nor would I want to try to find, and pay for, parking one.

An RV? No way.

:iagree:

I lived in the UK for 10 years, my in-laws lived in London, and we never drove into the city center. If for some reason the tube wasn't an option, I would pay for a cab before I would drive myself through London, even in a car.

Driving an RV through the city sounds like the sort of torture you'd see on Fear Factor or one of those shows.  :lol:

• Like 3

:iagree:

I lived in the UK for 10 years, my in-laws lived in London, and we never drove into the city center. If for some reason the tube wasn't an option, I would pay for a cab before I would drive myself through London, even in a car.

Driving an RV through the city sounds like the sort of torture you'd see on Fear Factor or one of those shows. :lol:

Haha, I say this when we take a charter bus into NYC! I had a conversation with one driver, asking him how he came to choose to drive tour buses in NYC, because that is extremely high up on my list of Things I Would Never Do. I won't get a full coverage bikini wax. I won't invest in an IPO I don't understand (again). And I will not drive a large vehicle (or probably any vehicle) in a city the size of NYC.

• Like 1

I don't think it is that difficult to get used to driving on the other side of the road - I seem to adjust fairly quickly between driving in the USA and the UK. The roads are alot narrower though. Your problem would be finding anywhere to park. I have to say - that would be a nightmare. You could avoid the tube by taking buses or trains - the trains have bathrooms. If public bathrooms aren't an option then I don't think London, or any big city, would be the most suitable at this time. There are lots of public bathrooms in London but you do have to pay 30p to use the ones in the train stations etc.

But the above ground trains are meant for travel outside of London, correct?

No, no, no.....

Why do you think an RV would make things easier?  

Already stated in a previous comment to this thread.

I'm thinking that level of bathroom/travel anxiety would mean that person isn't ready for an international trip. A smidgen of adventure is still required for international travel. Maybe you should start by getting this person up to speed in your nearest city?

• Like 12

Awww shucks......I know you wanted someone to say Sure, you could do it!  It is hard to let go of an idea that you've had.  

I'm so sorry.

Is this a vacation?  If you have a person with travel-related anxiety than maybe London is not the right place for you....would another location work?

• Like 2

I don't think London is a wise destination for someone who has travel related anxieties that require a bathroom. I think everyone on the trip would be miserable. 

London in an RV? No, absolutely no. 

• Like 6

I understand the travel anxiety issue. My mom is afraid of flying but still managed to make the flight from the US out to visit us in Asia, multiple stopovers and more than 24 hours of flying time. But we didn't do anything weird or exotic on their holiday. 

Still, as above, an RV in the UK would be difficult. We had to adapt to driving left when we moved here, and it definitely took more concentration, particularly around freeways. And yes, I did drive once and a while on the wrong side, fortunately only on small streets.

With your restrictions, I think I'd pick a different destination. You could do a beach holiday where the anxious traveller could stay around the hotel while the rest went out as they liked. You could do US camping or Canadian camping. You could do a B&B at an international location where the main point of travel is to enjoy nature, so staying around the B&B is pleasant. 

Some destinations just aren't possible for every traveller.

• Like 2

Here's a thought . . . How old is the person in question? What if you get a condo or hotel in a central location and just day trip about London. Go out for a few hours, and return to base. Take riskier trips with part of your party and leave some people behind with the comforts of home. Can you get lodging near the disadvantaged person's favorite sites so they are quicker trips?

• Like 3

Just another voice to say no way to an RV in London. Not only would you never park the thing so end up parking it miles away from your destination anyway you'd simply not get it around a lot of places and not be able to get the best trip. It would be be a nightmare in most parts of the UK, our roads are just narrower. I think if you planned a trip well though you could alleviate toilet anxiety anyway. Stay centrally, many of London's major sights are clustered in small areas, you could even switch accommodation mid trip, to explore a new area. Travel by taxi or walk from place to place. Start the day early when it's quieter so less busy at tourist destinations.  You'll always be able to find a toilet in a coffee shop, department store, railway station (50p) or tourist destination. 

By the way you'll have no problems finding vegetarian food in London. 

• Like 2

I live in London and travel regularly into the city by tube.  You can drive but you have to pay congestion charge daily plus it is difficult and expensive to park.  That is with a car, you cannot drive in London around the sites in an RV, just cannot.  You won't be able to park near the tourist sites so there would be no point.

There are plenty of accommodation options and if you can't travel by public transport then take a taxi.  You could hire a mini cab for the day to take you between sites.  You won't have your own toilet but we do have public toilets in London, also in restaurants and at the tourist sites and in shops which are perfectly acceptable.  Even if you kept on roads large enough to accommodate an RV you would spend so much time walking between where you parked it and the site you were visiting there would be no advantage.  Also you can't just park up an RV and sleep in it, you would be in danger of being asked to move on.

I'm afraid you will have to rethink either the RV or London!

Happy to answer any other query

Stephanie

• Like 6

But the above ground trains are meant for travel outside of London, correct?

The above ground trains come into London from outside of London, but there are stops in greater London on the way in, so you could stay somewhere in the outskirts of the city and travel in, and there would be a toilet on the train.

I've driven in NYC.  I've driven a Suburban in NYC.  But most of the time we take the train in and then cab or subway to our destinations.  Even when driving in, we park the car once and then cab or subway to get around if we're visiting multiple places.  You can walk around faster than you can drive around the city.

I still wouldn't drive an RV in a much smaller city than NYC and definitely not somewhere I wasn't even used to the traffic laws and patterns.  Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  And you wouldn't have to wait long.

• Like 2

Might I consider you set up a base in say Salisbury?  The town is charming and walkable.  Part of your group could go into London via rail for a day trip.  A smaller town might be a better choice to ease the anxieties of a member of your party who would not be terribly far from accommodations, cafes or historic sites (all with restrooms).

• Like 5

No.  There's nowhere to park an RV in central London and the roads are too narrow to navigate.   Buses only go on certain streets and have special places to stop.

I lived in London for several years, and we didn't even own a car.  As others have stated there are lots of loos available in London - public ones as well as those at attractions and restaurants.  An RV will make your life much, much worse.

• Like 6

We're planning a family trip to London, England. How realistic is it to hope that we might be able to rent an RV there and tour London in that fashion? It would make things A LOT easier for our family I think. But I am worried about a few things. Getting the RV (not being familiar with the area), getting to and from the airport (instead of the really easy Heathrow Express), driving in London (congestion charges, low emission areas, street sizes, oh my!!!) and parking. Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!

Not feasible at all and much harder overall on your family.

Assuming your family member is able to make a transatlantic flight (and don't underestimate some of the difficulties of using those small lavatories!), I'd probably follow Jane's advice. Set up a "home base" in a smaller town outside London. That way those who are able/want can day trip into London and those who wish can stay in the smaller town and be more comfortable.

Honestly, if my family member's travel anxiety was such that I thought the only feasible way to travel was in an RV (caravan in England, IIRC), I'd plan a different trip.

• Like 5

Agreeing with all others who have said 'no!'.

If it's easy access to veg food, you won't have trouble finding it in London.

Access to bathrooms is the same. Plenty there.

London is fast-paced, and speaking from someone who always travels with a person with travel-related anxieties, London is a good idea in theory-- but is difficult in practice. When we go, it is only for a few days because it is just too much for this particular family member.

So, I was curious and looked up caravan campsites near London. It looks like there are 7 campsites for RVs that generally ring the M25. It seems all of them presume that the campers would take public transport into London and the City. Some look like they have hook-ups and others are for tent camping. If the family member were able to ride a bus into London or take a train, it looks like it could be a fun trip. Of course, then the family would need to take the bus, tube, or taxi to get around. Some of the big sites y'all might be interested in are FAR from each other and walking wouldn't seem to be feasible. Most of the campsites advertise being anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes from London (by bus or train).

I'm just afraid, OP, that your family wouldn't be able to enjoy the trip as much if you tried driving an RV within London itself (assuming that's even allowed). The public parking that is available (and it isn't a lot, by any means) is meant for cars - and small cars at that.

I hope you find a workable solution.

• Like 2

I would not want to even drive a car in London. nor would I want to try to find, and pay for, parking one.

An RV? No way.

Took the words right out of my mouth!  We lived outside London for a few years and I never drove into central London.  Dh did it once, but that was on Christmas Day when the taxis weren't running.  

• Like 2

An RV? No way.

Yes.  This exactly.

We were in London a few weeks ago and stayed just across the Thames from White Hall.  It's an easy wonderful city to walk if you don't want to use the Tube.  There is no way I would attempt to drive a car in London.  I'm a traffic engineer ... that means my job is designing pavement markings for a living.  I couldn't figure out half the pavement markings we saw in London.  It's not just driving on the other side of the street, it's driving on a completely different system to the US.  And then there's a lot of traffic.  And then there's the narrow street.  And then there's no place to park.

I believe if you had mentioned wanting to see London by flying car you might have gotten someone to agree with you that it was a good idea but by caravan?  Nope!

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for the input.  Too many posters now to be able to address each one individually. I'm going to look into Salisbury like someone else mentioned and see if that's an option.  We're also looking into maybe some of the tour bus lines and figuring out if those routes would allow for frequent bathroom stops if needed.  Unfortunately, picking a different destination isn't an option and she's determined to come along.

Was this a joke, OP?

And no, this wasn't a joke.  I'm not sure how this came across as a joke.  There are those of us who have not been to the UK before, so we might be unfamiliar with the territory...and there are those who have anxieties they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Sure there might be cities that wouldn't ever consider taking an RV into...I grew up in a VERY large city, and wouldn't hesitate taking an RV into the city there. 

• Like 2

Well, I didn't think it was a joke and I hope you find a workable solution for everyone. If this family member hasn't flown overseas before, please do give careful consideration as to how that aspect will be handled, both in the airports and in the plane itself.

• Like 4

Well, I didn't think it was a joke and I hope you find a workable solution for everyone. If this family member hasn't flown overseas before, please do give careful consideration as to how that aspect will be handled, both in the airports and in the plane itself.

Thanks brehon and those who took this post seriously and had kind input to give.  There's not much more worse than when someone who deals anxieties gets laughed at and joked about because of said anxieties.

• Like 2

One idea would be to stay at different hotels in different parts of London situated close to the sites and areas you'd like to see. That way, the individual who cannot travel too far would be close to the hotel. This would mean having to pack up and move, though. 

The food is amazing. AMAZING! You should be able to find plenty of fantastic vegetarian options.

Books that we liked when we went to London:

Savoir Fare London: Stylish Dining for Under $25

The Little Black Book of London

24 Secret Walks in London

London is full of amazing things to see. Even the little courtyards and little *secret* walkways are cool.

Have fun!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input. Too many posters now to be able to address each one individually. I'm going to look into Salisbury like someone else mentioned and see if that's an option. We're also looking into maybe some of the tour bus lines and figuring out if those routes would allow for frequent bathroom stops if needed. Unfortunately, picking a different destination isn't an option and she's determined to come along.

And no, this wasn't a joke. I'm not sure how this came across as a joke. There are those of us who have not been to the UK before, so we might be unfamiliar with the territory...and there are those who have anxieties they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Sure there might be cities that wouldn't ever consider taking an RV into...I grew up in a VERY large city, and wouldn't hesitate taking an RV into the city there.

OP- if you know the places you are going I can (and others I am sure!) tell you about bathroom facilities at most popular places. Maybe we can help you map bathroom friendly routes...and armed with that information the anxiety might be less?

• Like 3

One idea would be to stay at different hotels in different parts of London situated close to the sites and areas you'd like to see. That way, the individual who cannot travel too far would be close to the hotel. This would mean having to pack up and move, though. 

The food is amazing. AMAZING! You should be able to find plenty of fantastic vegetarian options.

Books that we liked when we went to London:

Savoir Fare London: Stylish Dining for Under $25

The Little Black Book of London

24 Secret Walks in London

London is full of amazing things to see. Even the little courtyards and little *secret* walkways are cool.

Have fun!

I thought about that.  Definitely something to consider.

OP- if you know the places you are going I can (and others I am sure!) tell you about bathroom facilities at most popular places. Maybe we can help you map bathroom friendly routes...and armed with that information the anxiety might be less?

Excellent. :) Will work on posting the locations in just a bit. :) Thanks!