Menu

RLTL or LOE Foundations

My oldest has gone through LOE A-D. He is a very capable reader, understands the phonograms, spelling rules, and how to analyE words. I've been very happy with LOE and plan on continuing it with my youngers.

I just recently got RLTL levels 2-4 to reinforce spelling with him and work on reading aloud with proper punctuation, enunciation, etc. I really like the looks of the program, it's OG foundation and the reading selections. It is very thorough.

For me, LOE just simply has the added advantage of

1.) games (that you don't have to think up yourself),

2.) a discovery and incremental approach to learning spelling rules (this is THE reason I love LOE so much. Other OG programs (including RLTL) use the method of just stating the rule during the spelling dictation of each word it applies to. Repetition and pattern recognition over time eventually leads to understanding the rule.)

3.) various methodologies for learning. There's the spelling analysis found in other OG programs, but also a variety of games (physical, card, and worksheet), workbook activities. This makes it very adaptable.

I do think RLTL will work perhaps more efficiently for an older learner. But LOE was just plain fun for us. It was extremely helpful for me as a first time teacher.

• Like 2

I had used RLTL for a while and was worried about the fun factor. So I spent crazy money on LOE and didn't really like it?! I mean, it was cutesy and all that but my kiddo was 6.5 and the get er done approach with RLTL was working just fine and crazy easy to teach. So LOE went out the door. I'm about to use it with my 5 yr old and I have the phonogram workbook for the cute "circle the picture" type stuff if she wants to do it.

I also bought the LOE game cards used for a good deal and will get the game book one of these days, but we don't really miss the "fun" factor at all. Dictations are kinda fun actually as we make up silly words and sentences to go with the spelling lists just in conversation.

I don't have RLTL, but I can tell you about LOE.

I really liked LOE Foundations for DS (level B) in K and the first three quarters of 1st (level C). Phonics Pathways, which we'd started, felt really daunting to him for a while; he was not an eager reading student until I used LOE to build up his confidence. A lot of kids with a similar temperament would probably be the same.

I think LOE Foundations A/ Doodling Dragons would be overkill for a kid who is familiar with the letters and basic sounds (as DS was just from a Leapfrog toy). Now that DS is "over the hump" and not intimidated by reading, we're finishing PP and going on to LOE Essentials, which I think is more like RLTL in "feel."

Here's another thread that touches on this topic: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/548740-rltl-vs-loe-or-aaraas/

Thank you!  I have Foundations but it really feels like it is TOO much.  I love the idea of learning the phonograms, used SWR long ago but it completely overwhelmed me, need more of a "this is what you do now" Teachers book.  In Foundations ALL the segmenting and blends and all the different steps feels like it is too much, unless you have a child that needs that.  Does this make sense?

I have seen both, though only actively used LOE.

They are very different programs, even if they are both OG. I highly recommend either, they are both easy to use an s will get your kid reading. to it just depends what you want.

LOE is expensive, colorful, game based, and physically active, with lots of "bells and whistles" (game cards, game boards, physical games like hopscotch and catch and relay racing, flash cards, little books, workbook pages, ect and so on). It's ideal for resistant kids, very active kids, very young kids.

RLTL is affordable, simple, and straight to the point. It's ideal for older kids that want to blow through the program at top speed, kids that are excited to learn to read and don't need all those bless and whistles, and busy mommas that don't want to play all those rounds of "go fish".

• Like 1

Thank you! I have Foundations but it really feels like it is TOO much. I love the idea of learning the phonograms, used SWR long ago but it completely overwhelmed me, need more of a "this is what you do now" Teachers book. In Foundations ALL the segmenting and blends and all the different steps feels like it is too much, unless you have a child that needs that. Does this make sense?

Not really, sorry. Can you elaborate? I don't think I've used any programs that hold your hand more than LOE. It gives you word for word prompts as to what you say to your child next and directions for each activity in the order that you do them (no thumbing through pages). I keep a bookmark on the lesson we are on and just open and go.

Are you saying that your kids just don't need that much practice? If that's the case, good for them! RLTL might be a better option.

What I meant was on Foundations, ALL the different phonemic awareness exercises etc..etc..feel like too much for this child, I LOVE LOE but skip a lot of stuff because he is ready to get reading and don't feel like I need all of that, just want to get to the phonograms, writing them and spelling lists but want to make sure it is a good solid program, which I know Foundations is.  UGH!  Does that make sense?

So you skip most of what makes Foundations what it is, as you just need writing of spelling lists and phonograms. That's exactly what RLTL is, certainly a solid program, it got my daughter reading and now it's transitioning to more of a spelling focus as she increases fluency. 

Yepper, that basically wraps it up..ha!