Menu

Couch-to-5K: June 21-27

IfIOnly

Couch-to-5K: June 21-27  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts Finished

Made it out this morning. Extended my total distance to 4 miles! Woohoo!! The increased walking before has really helped my shin splints. Still so hard for me to even run the 3 minutes but I can see progress there too. Think I'm going to get some new shoes this week.

• Like 6

I did my first run of Week 3 this morning. I sort of messed it up, but it's not a big deal. I'm using those podcasts from "running into shape", which tell you when to run and when to walk, and I guess I wasn't paying very close attention when she explained at the beginning of today's podcast what we are going to do this week. I thought it was 3 rounds. So I was really holding back, going super slow on the running segments, thinking that the third round of 3 minutes was going to be hard. I was really psyching myself up for that last round, reassuring myself that I could do it, when she announced, "ok, you're done!" Huh??? :lol:

• Like 6

I got a new pair of shoes this weekend (a first for me in a couple of years) and thanks to dh's encouragement and this thread, made it out for the first workout of week 1. I checked the Accuweather app to see what the likelyhood of rain would be and it said no rain for two hours so I went for it. lol, Accuweather wasn't quite as accurate as they seem. I ended up cutting it short because it started to rain.

I took the kids with me on their bikes and that was...interesting. It worked better when the kids rode out in front and waited for me to catch up at the intersections. The last few run/walk cycles were tough, but overall I enjoyed it. :0)

• Like 6

Made it out this morning. Extended my total distance to 4 miles! Woohoo!! The increased walking before has really helped my shin splints. Still so hard for me to even run the 3 minutes but I can see progress there too. Think I'm going to get some new shoes this week.

You've inspired me, lewber! I'm going to get to the track early and do a mile or two before my workout. It would be great to get more miles in. Let us know what you find for shoes!

I did my first run of Week 3 this morning. I sort of messed it up, but it's not a big deal. I'm using those podcasts from "running into shape", which tell you when to run and when to walk, and I guess I wasn't paying very close attention when she explained at the beginning of today's podcast what we are going to do this week. I thought it was 3 rounds. So I was really holding back, going super slow on the running segments, thinking that the third round of 3 minutes was going to be hard. I was really psyching myself up for that last round, reassuring myself that I could do it, when she announced, "ok, you're done!" Huh??? :lol:

:laugh:

I got a new pair of shoes this weekend (a first for me in a couple of years) and thanks to dh's encouragement and this thread, made it out for the first workout of week 1. I checked the Accuweather app to see what the likelyhood of rain would be and it said no rain for two hours so I went for it. lol, Accuweather wasn't quite as accurate as they seem. I ended up cutting it short because it started to rain.

I took the kids with me on their bikes and that was...interesting. It worked better when the kids rode out in front and waited for me to catch up at the intersections. The last few run/walk cycles were tough, but overall I enjoyed it. :0)

The bikes for kids is a great idea, mamaraby. So happy you've joined us!   :hurray:

• Like 2

What pace are you walking at, lewber, before C25K workouts? 

What pace are you walking at, lewber, before C25K workouts? 

I was mostly walking my dog - so fast and then slow when he wanted to sniff. But in general I walk about a 17-18 minute mile when I just walk. Today was the same - I went 4 miles in 70 minutes which is a 17.5 mile pace. Which means I'm somewhat - but not much-  faster when I run and then slower on the walk. That also included the stretching in the middle for a few minutes. I might just have to dig out my old garmin and get more serious about it.  :laugh: I was trying not to know how slow I was running because I just don't really want to think about that!  :lol:

Good luck getting your extra laps in tonight and thanks again for getting this started. It was just good timing for me!

• Like 2

Finished the first run of this week, along w/ dh & ds. We are repeating week 2.

It was hot & hard, but I'm proud we did it because we last ran on Thursday & we had a weekend of too many sweets (w/ a couple of family birthdays going on).

Ds & I wore our matching shirts. :lol:

Plus, I'm supposed to meet my friend & go walking for a couple of miles tonight.

• Like 5

My TAL (tag along) has realized that this is not just a passing fancy. It's good that we started on the conservative plan; together we will get to the run or power walk stage like a slowly boiled frog. We are up to walking outbound for the scheduled amount time, trying to keep a steady pace, and meander back home. So we are dedicating more time than actually required at these beginning stages.

I've mentioned that we are doing the conservative plan. I wasn't kidding, it's a REALLY gentle start up. The rest of you are like superheroes compared to what's on my list for the first few weeks. But I figured I would link it here in case there are others interested and lurking who may be encouraged by the thought of a less demanding program.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=20

• Like 6

I'm repeating week 2 so W2W1 done tonight. I've had to move to late night runs because it's so hot here, but it was really pleasant running tonight. No hot sun on my back, the fireflies were out, along with a bunch of frogs and a pair of rabbits.

However, my feet hurt a ton. I'm new to sneakers, previous I've run either barefoot on trails or with vibrams. So I don't know how much of this pain is expected or not. I'm hoping it'll just take some time to adjust to the new sneakers.

• Like 4

How long are you out for? I do the 30 minutes c25k and I am always right around 2 miles. Something less, sometimes more. Or are you that fast you cover twice the distance?

What's everyone else doing mileage wise? Just curious if I'm a total slowpoke!

• Like 3

No way, not me:) It took me 70 minutes to do the 4 miles. Included some stretching, but I'm averaging right around 17 minute mile. Not fast at all. Just trying to get more exercise in since I'm still just doing it 3 times per week.

How long are you out for? I do the 30 minutes c25k and I am always right around 2 miles. Something less, sometimes more. Or are you that fast you cover twice the distance?

• Like 2

According to the C25K app, today we did 2.06 miles in 31 minutes (walking 1.18 miles, running 0.88 miles). I feel like I'm incredibly, incredibly slow. Dh (who is a runner) almost can't run as slowly as I need him to when he's out w/ us. But, whatever. I'm out doing it, even if it is a turtle pace. (That's why I got the turtle shirt, lol.)

So far, I think this was the best distance & time we've done.

ETA: And, hey, I just got back from my walk with my friend. I just got a tiny/simple Fitbit this weekend & I've done 5.82 miles today (over 12,500 steps). Is anyone else contemplating Advil & dreading staircases for tomorrow?!?! :lol:

• Like 4

I'm very slow! I decided to just train by time, and not worry about distance for now. Once I am able to run for 30 minutes straight, then I will measure the distance I'm covering, and start running longer a little at a time until I get up to 5k.

• Like 4

I'm very slow! I decided to just train by time, and not worry about distance for now. Once I am able to run for 30 minutes straight, then I will measure the distance I'm covering, and start running longer a little at a time until I get up to 5k.

This is pretty much what I'm doing. Since the app tracks you by time, that's how I'm doing it. Once I'm up to running for 30 whole minutes, I'll have to see where I stand distance-wise. I'm guessing it will be quite a bit short of 5K. So, like you, I then plan to work on distance at that point.

My legs are short & I often have to remind dh to wait up because I'm having to take two steps to each one of his. Ds has long legs, so once his endurance for running is up, I imagine he'll outpace me very easily.

• Like 3

Eagle, how is your ankle doing?

It is slowly getting better, but I am still not able to do much without having to lie down and rest it. By evening it is in a lot of pain. I had no idea it would take so long to recover. Very frustrating as I just want to get back out there. At least I get to live vicariously through all of you. Everyone is doing great!! I'm so proud of our group.

Thanks for asking. :)

• Like 4

Week 3 is def. a step up from week 2! During that 3 minutes of power walking, my muscles were feeling it (burning), and working on pumping my arms and walking faster with correct power walking posture increased intensity for me too. Much more cardio. It felt good to endure and get to the cool down.  I tried race walking (Olympic sport) for some of the time, and that was intense. I really felt the muscles in my legs burning! 

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I really appreciate it!

• Like 4

No land speed records here either. I was only out just shy of 25 minutes yesterday and I think the app said 1.25mi. My kids on their bikes usually make it to the end of the block in advance of me and hang around for awhile waiting for me to catch up. :0)

• Like 3

I found the 5k I'd like to run, September 5 and 6. It benefits cancer and the trail and scenery is gorgeous. It's $40 but comes with "a commemorative race shirt, finisher medals or finisher prize, Sunriver Marathon logoed goodie bag, nutrition (before, during and after the race), on-line finisher certificates and a great race experience."  I thought it would be good for me to pick a 5k out and even register beforehand. Just another encouraging thing to make this fun and help me keep at this! There's a kid's dash too, and my kid's would love to do that. They would get a t-shirt and medal too.

http://sunrivermarathon.com/

• Like 4

I walked 3 miles tonight! I feel so great, and it was so peaceful being outside. Waking in the summer evening is one of my favorite things.  :wub:   I'm not sure what was the problem the first time using it, but the running app that Eagle recommended said today that my cul-de-sac is exactly 1/4 mile round. Yay! I also had the bright idea to walk on the street rather than concrete with the driveway dips (again, thanks, Eagle, for the tip about how hard those are on you feet) and ducking the trees. One of these day's I'll remember to time how fast I walk a mile. It's not very fast, trust me.  :lol:

• Like 4

I finished day 2 and it was easier than the day 1 which surprised me given how sore I still was this morning when I woke up.  Even with stretching and warm up/cool down, stairs are not my friend.  I'm cautiously optimistic as I've tried the C25K thing before.  Granted, I was 45 pounds heavier at the time, but I ended up with the worst foot pain.  The podiatrist kept telling me it was plantar fasciitis, but none of the things for plantar fasciitis did anything to help.  The only thing that did help was stopping C25K and yoga altogether.  I'm hoping this time I can skip the foot pain and keep going because I have a 5K picked out (October 24th) and I really want to do it.  :0) 

The kids were better this time.  I only had to beg the five year old twice to keep moving.  Somehow she ended up behind her siblings today which meant she also lost the will to keep pedaling consistently.  I think she just wanted to hang around by me, but it's tough not to end up tripping over her bike when she's in the middle of the sidewalk.  Going together is important to me, though, so we keep on.

• Like 4

W3D2 today. Not my best run ever. A train blocked my regular route, iPod problems, dog wanted to either run ahead or stop and sniff. Puddles. Oh well. Better than no workout. I didn't think I'd really be able to run for 3 minutes without a break, but I can! Friday will be better. Thanks for getting me off the couch!

• Like 5

download%201_zpskrfayr0z.jpg

It feels so good to be accomplishing something I never thought I could, meeting goals and stretching myself. Though my family will benefit from me doing this as well, it's nice to do something fun and challenging for me and get out of the house and total homeschooling/mom mode, ya know?

• Like 5

I finished day 2 and it was easier than the day 1 which surprised me given how sore I still was this morning when I woke up.  Even with stretching and warm up/cool down, stairs are not my friend.  I'm cautiously optimistic as I've tried the C25K thing before.  Granted, I was 45 pounds heavier at the time, but I ended up with the worst foot pain.  The podiatrist kept telling me it was plantar fasciitis, but none of the things for plantar fasciitis did anything to help.  The only thing that did help was stopping C25K and yoga altogether.  I'm hoping this time I can skip the foot pain and keep going because I have a 5K picked out (October 24th) and I really want to do it.  :0) 

The kids were better this time.  I only had to beg the five year old twice to keep moving.  Somehow she ended up behind her siblings today which meant she also lost the will to keep pedaling consistently.  I think she just wanted to hang around by me, but it's tough not to end up tripping over her bike when she's in the middle of the sidewalk.  Going together is important to me, though, so we keep on.

I sure hope you don't experience foot pain this time around.  :grouphug:

Hey, can I jump in now?  We were on vacation, then had houseguests till yesterday.  I'm exhausted, but ready to start!  

Absolutely! Looking forward to hearing how your fist workout goes!

Did the second workout of Week 3 this morning. I thought week 3 was going to be really hard, but it hasn't been as bad as I feared, I guess because it's shorter. At least, it feels shorter overall.

Woohoo!  :hurray:

W3D2 today. Not my best run ever. A train blocked my regular route, iPod problems, dog wanted to either run ahead or stop and sniff. Puddles. Oh well. Better than no workout. I didn't think I'd really be able to run for 3 minutes without a break, but I can! Friday will be better. Thanks for getting me off the couch!

:hurray: That's great you're doing 3 minutes of running, puddles and all. :P 

• Like 3

I did mine. I was in a hurry due to another commitment so I didn't get to do all the extra miles at once, but I got most of them in this afternoon. I prefer the long walk in the morning. I also somehow hit the open app button and got it all messed up. The woman stopped talking and I had all the times messed up. I listened to Pandora today so the music selection was better. I need to just lock it all in and suffer through instead of trying to see how much longer, or if I accidentally ran too long :huh:

But it's done :hurray:

Great work to everyone!

• Like 4

Lewber - I seem to lose the voice prompts on my C25K app at the very beginning until I futz around with a few settings towards the beginning of my workout and then she miraculously comes back. I kind of wish there was more encouragment along the way, though.

• Like 2

Repeat of week 2, day 2 finished.

We are three wet people because we were running the whole time in a pretty steady rain. The plus side is that it was about ten degrees cooler & the rain felt good.

(Last night -- the non-running night -- dh & I walked a couple of miles to the movie theater, saw a movie, then walked back home as our exercise.)

• Like 4

Finished W2W2. My feet still hurt and it's really slowing me down. I'm getting about 1.8 miles in the 25 mins. If my feet don't feel better soon these shoes are going back to REI and I'll try a different pair.

Didn't you mention that you've used Vibrams in the past?

That's what I'm using now & I love them. I am still getting adjusted to wearing them, but to me, they feel so much better than regular running shoes.

• Like 2

Didn't you mention that you've used Vibrams in the past?

That's what I'm using now & I love them. I am still getting adjusted to wearing them, but to me, they feel so much better than regular running shoes.

I loved my Vibrams, they felt great to run in, but I got a stress fracture while wearing them. I'm now a bit afraid of trying them again, so I'm trying to find a shoe that feels as comfortable but has a little more protection.

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to have to tweak my routine. I love meeting my friend so often during the week and our time together walking. She's one of my favorite people. But, we're just on totally different planes regarding C25K. I really want to train this summer and do a 5K. So, I'm going to consider my time with her my off days and do C25K Tue., Thurs., and Sat instead. I don't want to stop our time together, but I do really want to work harder and push myself. So, I did W3W2 today, but I'm not putting it in the poll and will redo it tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Finished W2W2. My feet still hurt and it's really slowing me down. I'm getting about 1.8 miles in the 25 mins. If my feet don't feel better soon these shoes are going back to REI and I'll try a different pair.

I'm sorry your feet are still hurting and hope new shoes help them feel better. REI is great about returns. Such a smart move purchasing from them.

• Like 2

DH's phone died during my workout, so I just did the best I could walking/power walking. Overall, I did about 3 miles and went fast/got a great workout. Yay! I can feel the muscles in my legs getting stronger and my thighs are firming up a bit. Nice. 

• Like 3

More birthday family stuff until late tonight & tomorrow too (but shouldn't be super late tomorrow), so the plan is to finish the 3rd run of the week tomorrow night.

Late tonight, dh & I went for a walk & (just for fun -- haha, I would never have thought I would say this), instead of walking, we did a repeat of a week 1 workout. We will do the regular run tomorrow night, though, when ds will also be with us.

• Like 4

My ankle is finally feeling pretty good. I'm going to go for a walk later today and then a run tomorrow if the walk goes well. I think I need to start at the beginning again to ease my foot back into it. And this time I am going to make sure to take those breaks on the off days.

• Like 5