Menu

Am I just a wimp?

lollie010

Have you ever been to South Alabama in the middle of summer? If not, let me fill you in for a minute. Today, we have a high of around 92 with humidity around 80-92% and a UV rating of 10. No cloud cover. Tomorrow is about the same except the projected high is closer to 94 and the "real feel" is 110 degrees.  :huh:

Well, my son (11yo) plays soccer for a recreational league. These aren't big deal soccer players just some kids who play really HARD and do their best. There are some special needs players, also. This weekend, Father's Day weekend, is the end of the season tournament. My son has six full games in the next two days. The games are played in the middle of the  day (10:00, 2:00, and 5:00). Even the 10:00 game will be in extreme heat and there is no shade anywhere. There will be no substitutions because a lot of kids have just moved on since this spring season went well into the summer break. They will be playing full fields, 1 hour games, breaks only at halftime, and reduced numbers of players. 

My son happens to be fairly physically fit, but that is not the case for all of the players. Would you consider this reasonable for recreational soccer? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I tend to be the type of person who sees risk everywhere, but I am really scratching my head on this one. I have only overhead one other parent saying that this is ridiculous. I am not trying to be all judgmental or anything, but some of the parent's idea of hydration is a can of coke or sprite. It just really seems risky to me. 

• Like 2

Well... I'm the wrong person to ask... because I feel that most kids sports and activities are ridiculous these days. Too many games in one day, or one weekend. Way too freaking hot outside. And it always seems too much for the age. (When dh coached dds tball.... T-BALL.... they had a double header as their first game in 90 some degree heat.. no shade, no breeze. I was pregnant and was miserable.. and I was sitting down.)

They cancel for rain/lightening... I don't know why they don't take the heat into consideration.

• Like 11

My child has played in those conditions. We bring shade structures for the kids, lots of water in coolers to keep cool. And a cooler with cool cloths too. Not ideal when you're short on subs, I would have been annoyed to play a tournament that way - it is bad enough when you have that handicap with a regular game.

• Like 2

When my kids play in those conditions (we live in Georgia, so I understand the conditions) we have a water break halfway through each half. That has been true at the rec level and the select level. I have a friend whose son plays on the state team and national team, and they do the same at state level games. I haven't attended any of his national games, though, so I don't know. They usually do it about halfway through the half when there is a corner kick or goal kick. Kids go over to the sideline and don't leave the pitch, just drink some water. No subs at that time, either. Also, we definitely do Gatorade in these conditions. I have seen a number of kids hospitalized from loss of electrolytes. And we pre-hydrate.

And we also have a tent over the kids for shade.

• Like 1

I'm a Midwesterner, so those temperatures would be pretty newsworthy. We would have dire warnings about staying in during the heat of the day and information about cooling centers for those without air conditioning. I think it's taking unnecessary risks to have kids out there for that long in those conditions.

• Like 1

My child has played in those conditions. We bring shade structures for the kids, lots of water in coolers to keep cool. And a cooler with cool cloths too. Not ideal when you're short on subs, I would have been annoyed to play a tournament that way - it is bad enough when you have that handicap with a regular game.

Thanks for the idea of cool clothes. We will definitely do that! I will try not to envision children and spectators being hauled off to the local er with heat stroke. We can do this!! :thumbup1:

I am such a weather wimp! I would not be able to be out in those temps and I know for sure that DS would wilt. I will send cooling thoughts your way. The high today where I am is 67F. Take lots of ice and some quart size baggies. You can pre-fill some baggies with ice so that when someone gets overheated, that person can put a bag of ice on his/her forehead and back of neck. 

When my kids play in those conditions (we live in Georgia, so I understand the conditions) we have a water break halfway through each half. That has been true at the rec level and the select level. I have a friend whose son plays on the state team and national team, and they do the same at state level games. I haven't attended any of his national games, though, so I don't know. They usually do it about halfway through the half when there is a corner kick or goal kick. Kids go over to the sideline and don't leave the pitch, just drink some water. No subs at that time, either. Also, we definitely do Gatorade in these conditions. I have seen a number of kids hospitalized from loss of electrolytes. And we pre-hydrate.

And we also have a tent over the kids for shade.

We recently played one game, not a tournament, and I suggested this to the head of the league because kids were really struggling. He said "no." They didn't have time to schedule extra breaks so the kids would have to make due with the one break at halftime. I think that is part of why I am struggling with the idea. I find the guy who scheduled the thing to be unreasonable in having kids running for 30 minutes straight without even a sip.

I'm a Midwesterner, so those temperatures would be pretty newsworthy. We would have dire warnings about staying in during the heat of the day and information about cooling centers for those without air conditioning. I think it's taking unnecessary risks to have kids out there for that long in those conditions.

Maybe I should consider a cross-country move. I would love to head your way!

• Like 1

I am such a weather wimp! I would not be able to be out in those temps and I know for sure that DS would wilt. I will send cooling thoughts your way. The high today where I am is 67F. Take lots of ice and some quart size baggies. You can pre-fill some baggies with ice so that when someone gets overheated, that person can put a bag of ice on his/her forehead and back of neck. 

Good idea on the baggies. I guess "weather wimp" accurately describes me, too. LOL

We recently played one game, not a tournament, and I suggested this to the head of the league because kids were really struggling. He said "no." They didn't have time to schedule extra breaks so the kids would have to make due with the one break at halftime. I think that is part of why I am struggling with the idea. I find the guy who scheduled the thing to be unreasonable in having kids running for 30 minutes straight without even a sip.

The clock doesn't stop and we don't play stoppage. So those two minute breaks in the half don't cause any delays.

I think it's insane to play with no subs and no breaks.

• Like 1

We moved north after 5 years of living in FL.  It took us that long to figure out we liked winter better than those horrid summers... no soccer or other sports involved!

I think they are asking a bit much of the kids.  Can you bring your own shade in the form of a big umbrella?  And a cooler with drinks?

• Like 1

I grew up in AL and played under those conditions. We did have water breaks and it's important to have a shade structure to cool off. Also misting fans help. They make these cool cloths that stay cool when wet. But, six games is too many. We would never play more than 2 or 3 a weekend in those conditions. I would look up the symptoms of heat exhaustion and dehydration and keep a close eye on the kids.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the great advice. This league seems clueless about the health of the children. We have had neck injuries and serious concussions that no one was prepared to deal with. This will most likely be the last season my son plays there unless someone starts listening to me about health and safety issues. Just makes me feel sorry for the others who don't know that things can be done more safely. My son plays for another league and when they last played in April games where shortened to 30 minutes with a break, field size was reduced and they only played 4 players at a time. That seemed like wise planning. I trust people like that.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the great advice. This league seems clueless about the health of the children. We have had neck injuries and serious concussions that no one was prepared to deal with. This will most likely be the last season my son plays there unless someone starts listening to me about health and safety issues. Just makes me feel sorry for the others who don't know that things can be done more safely. My son plays for another league and when they last played in April games where shortened to 30 minutes with a break, field size was reduced and they only played 4 players at a time. That seemed like wise planning. I trust people like that.

Good for you in looking seriously at injury prevention. I worked in that field, and it doesn't get the attetion it needs to help people stay active in a safe and healthy way.

Just out of curiosity, what neck and head injuries have occurred in youth soccer? 

• Like 1

Good for you in looking seriously at injury prevention. I worked in that field, and it doesn't get the attetion it needs to help people stay active in a safe and healthy way.

Just out of curiosity, what neck and head injuries have occurred in youth soccer?

We have had concussions, major neck strains, whiplash. This particular league has developed a very aggressive style of soccer. The players are not typically finess players. I have talked with the director about it. He seems uninterested in my thoughts. I am a stay at home mom, but I used to practice law and have a masters in public health. These issues are important to me and I could help if they would listen. :(
  • Like 2

Wow. I'd have thought the league would *require* more water breaks for such weather. Really? The coach thinks keeping to a schedule is more important than the kids' well-being? That's irresponsible coaching and if the league is putting up with it then they're idiots as well. Perhaps the refs will have more sense and call the extra water breaks anyway. If they're certified by your state organization they should know better than to put the timetable ahead of players' health. We're in GA and ds1 did play *one* game in similar conditions *once*. It was horrible. Plus the field barely had grass so dirt was being kicked up by the players. It was an away game so the coach hadn't realized how bad the field conditions were. The ref called extra water breaks--and the kids really needed them.

:grouphug:   I hope everyone stays safe! And I hope you took an umbrella to keep some of the sun off yourself.

• Like 3

This league sounds dangerous to play in. The expectations are unreasonable. These kids are not in the World Cup.

I suggest having your son soak his shirt in ice water before each half of the game. You should seriously consider adding some salt to his drinking water, too. Emphasize to him that staying safe is more important than winning and that if he feels at all sick, to come off the field no matter what anyone else says. Taking an extra break without permission may enable him to make it through the rest of the games, but trying to power on and ending up with heat stroke will leave his team a man down for the rest of the tournament. Tell him you will back him up if his coach gets mad because avoiding a trip to the hospital is more important than meeting these ridiculous game expectations.

• Like 2

My ds plays baseball and our weather is about the same. We take a tent and chairs, a stocked cooler, icy fruit, and frog togs. We even have a generator, so we can hook up fans in the dugout.

With that being said, baseball players aren running continuously, and they have breaks in the dugout. I would be very unhappy with your ds' situation. It seems dangerous.

• Like 1

Sounds terrible to me! We live in Phoenix where even when we play in the fall temps are often 90-100 (but not with your humidity level, of course). The most games my kids have ever played in one day is two and they definitely take quarter breaks and start the games as early in the day as possible. Glad you are muddling through, but I hope they will reconsider when scheduling future games.

• Like 1

We live in Florida. I completely understand. I think it's ridiculous. These conditions turned off my daughter to the game, forever. Girls were vomiting from heat exhaustion and dehydration. There were not enough girls for sufficient substitution so they all played the entire time. It was nuts.

You my deepest condolences. I get it.

• Like 1

I am in a similar climate, but our rec soccer season ended a month ago. By the last few games it was crazy hot, I can't imagine a tournament in June temps/humidity. I don't think you're a hot-weather whimp, I think you're hot-weather smart!

Hope it's over soon and all is well.

• Like 1

There is no way I would subject *my* child to sporting conditions that *I* considered unsafe. Ever. For any reason.

What you are experiencing is called peer pressure.

You have the illusion that a coach has power over your choices regarding your son -- that's not real. The coach is a person. You are a person. You are the smarter person, and you are the parent of your child.

Just.

Say.

No.

(The coach is not the boss of you :001_tt2: )

• Like 9

There is no way I would subject *my* child to sporting conditions that *I* considered unsafe. Ever. For any reason.

What you are experiencing is called peer pressure.

You have the illusion that a coach has power over your choices regarding your son -- that's not real. The coach is a person. You are a person. You are the smarter person, and you are the parent of your child.

Just.

Say.

No.

(The coach is not the boss of you :001_tt2: )

Lol!!! The coach is my husband. I promise he thinks its as crazy as I do. We offered to forfeit, but everyone chose to play. They did agree to breaks every 12 minutes and they installed misters. Not ideal, but they made it. Last game was changed to around 7:00. So all the complaining helped a little. :)

• Like 3

I haven't been to south Alabama in the summer, but I've been to places with similar weather in Asia. Those places often lose electricity (so no fans or AC) due to inadequate utility infrastructure. Just checked the weather in one of those cities and it's in the 90s but it's the middle of the night. Forecast is for 109, RealFeel 115. It's also humid.

It's perfectly possible to live and work and play under these conditions, billions of people do. But you have to drink a lot of salt water, cool your head, wear light colors, and be acclimated. Kids in those counties play sports and exercise during the summer months. 

:)

• Like 1

I do think that schedule us ridiculous, although it's pretty much par for the course here. Honestly, this is the reason we play recreational soccer leagues; we can just bow out of an event or two if it's too much.

Have you ever been to South Alabama in the middle of summer? If not, let me fill you in for a minute. Today, we have a high of around 92 with humidity around 80-92% and a UV rating of 10. No cloud cover. Tomorrow is about the same except the projected high is closer to 94 and the "real feel" is 110 degrees. :huh:

Well, my son (11yo) plays soccer for a recreational league. These aren't big deal soccer players just some kids who play really HARD and do their best. There are some special needs players, also. This weekend, Father's Day weekend, is the end of the season tournament. My son has six full games in the next two days. The games are played in the middle of the day (10:00, 2:00, and 5:00). Even the 10:00 game will be in extreme heat and there is no shade anywhere. There will be no substitutions because a lot of kids have just moved on since this spring season went well into the summer break. They will be playing full fields, 1 hour games, breaks only at halftime, and reduced numbers of players.

My son happens to be fairly physically fit, but that is not the case for all of the players. Would you consider this reasonable for recreational soccer? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I tend to be the type of person who sees risk everywhere, but I am really scratching my head on this one. I have only overhead one other parent saying that this is ridiculous. I am not trying to be all judgmental or anything, but some of the parent's idea of hydration is a can of coke or sprite. It just really seems risky to me.

• Like 1

Yes to misting, cold water, cold electrolyte drinks, and shade. Conditions like that are miserable though very livable, but you have to accomodate. We had a girl die from heat exhaustion at one of the fields I grew up playing and they dedicated part of the trail to her. After that accident the league became a lot more flexible on policies in the heat, thankfully!

We have a garden sprayer (the kind you pump to spray fertilizer and such, though they've never been used for that) for each team for lax tournament season. We replenish them with the water from the ice that's melted in the coolers.

Usually, one of the parents will also furnish a bench tent, so the kids can be in the shade a bit while they're rotated off the field.

In extreme weather during regular season (we went from sideways snow to frying hot) we shorten playing time. Otherwise, we haul out everything we can to keep them warm/cool.

• Like 1

Are you from Alabama, or just visiting with the team?  It is awfully hot in our lovely state--  my boys just finished a week of sports camp, playing hard in the 95-ish heat and ridiculously high humidity, and they got water breaks every 20-30 minutes.  And spent about half of the 8 hour day indoors, the other half in the sun.

ETA--saw that you said REC league--for some reason, I was reading it as a travel/serious team.  Yes, it's all crazy.  The season should have ended in May for the first thing ----

It is ridiculous in a way, but it's also just the nature of 30% or more of the year--from May to September, it's just unbelievably hot and the world can't shut down--

But I hope y'all survived it, and that everyone got some time to cool off.

My insane-ish children will often spend an entire summer day outside, just coming in for water breaks and pop-ice; I think I've outgrown that.  Being drenched in sweat is not my cup of tea.  We went running this morning at 7:30 and it was already 85--I think we'll have to roll back to about 6 am to be below 80 now, ugh.

B

• Like 2

Have you ever been to South Alabama in the middle of summer? If not, let me fill you in for a minute. Today, we have a high of around 92 with humidity around 80-92% and a UV rating of 10. No cloud cover. Tomorrow is about the same except the projected high is closer to 94 and the "real feel" is 110 degrees.  :huh:

Well, my son (11yo) plays soccer for a recreational league. These aren't big deal soccer players just some kids who play really HARD and do their best. There are some special needs players, also. This weekend, Father's Day weekend, is the end of the season tournament. My son has six full games in the next two days. The games are played in the middle of the  day (10:00, 2:00, and 5:00). Even the 10:00 game will be in extreme heat and there is no shade anywhere. There will be no substitutions because a lot of kids have just moved on since this spring season went well into the summer break. They will be playing full fields, 1 hour games, breaks only at halftime, and reduced numbers of players. 

I used to schedule tournaments, and they're crazy ridiculous all around!  We always tried to get the youngest kids at the earliest games, and work our way from up the age ladder from there. I'm not surprised a U11/12 team pulled that slot; it sounds like they tried to spread out your games as much as possible, to give ample time for cooling down and maybe finding some a/c at a local eatery or something.

But our league has been very pro-active in the water thing. My youngest was U10 last year, playing 25 minute halves.  If the heat index is over 90 they do quick, sideline water breaks every 8 minutes. It's a bit disruptive to the game so you get some teams who loudly boo hoo and want to play through, but for the most part everyone agrees it's a good idea.  Players stay on the field and go to the nearest sideline for a small, but frequent water breaks.

When/where I grew up we had orange slices at half-time but that isn't a 'thing' where I currently live.  On hot days I bring a case of sliced oranges for the kids, siblings in the stands, the refs, etc.  My kids don't drink sports beverages, so after the game I bring sunflower seeds.  Someone also suggested pickle juice, but :ack2: none of us were into that!

I'm glad you guys made it through such a gross day! Good luck at today's games!

• Like 1

I think it could be risky. Some people do better in these conditions than others. I would collapse but I am of Scandinavian descent.

Can your dh remind parents to bring LARGE sports containers of water? When ds played football, we had to buy a 5 gallon container that would keep water cold.

Can you bring some large tub of water for the first game so everyone can get rehydrated and then parents/players need to bring their own?

• Like 1

We've played in that sort of weather. But the coach and the parents were all mindful of the need to hydrate the kids.

I do sort of feel like there's a positive to just learning to suck it up. We humans spend so much time trying to close out nature. Summer is hot like that. It just is. It's good to (with precautions and lots of water) learn to play in it.

• Like 2

We live in Hawaii. My son has played in those conditions before. The game schedule sounds pretty normal for a tournament situation. We never have more than one sub because our coach only rosters that many. He does it because he would rather roster more teams with less kids per team so the kids get more playing time/game time experience. Which I think is a good policy.

Usually when it is extremely hot and humid out the refs are actually the ones who will call additional water breaks. Another trick I picked up is that we mix pedialight with Gatorade for my son to rehydrate. We also put wet washcloths in a ziplock bag in the cooler so the kids have cold cloths to put on their heads and necks during breaks. Also, nearly everyone here owns a canopy tent, so we have those set up on both the parent and player sides of the field for shade. All the parents pretty much insist that the kids remain sitting and under the canopy tents inbetween games.

We have also played in turrential downpours and very high winds. Sometimes it's not fun (especially for the parents) but if we cancelled soccer for weather here the kids would never play. Our club/league policy is that we only cancel for lightening or hurricanes, lol.

• Like 1