Menu

What is your opinion of "shhhhh!"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of "shhhhh!"?

• Own and glad I do
    • Own but find it useless
    • Don't own but have considered
    • Don't own and have no desire to do so.
    • Other (always!)

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "other." I have a friend who did a home-based business one time with a very interesting catalog. She gave me one. Dh and I had not one clue what most of the stuff was, so we didn't feel that we had any business buying any. :lol:

There was one "v" that was described as "perfect for a visit to the inlaws." :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I had no idea what they were talking about but decided I didn't really want to find out, either.:D

My DH is gone for months and months at a time. I am *horrible* without release, you people (see? inclusive language even though I'm guessing the guys on the board are avoiding this thread like it's a flea-ridden rat during the dark ages) have no idea.

Good Grief I hope so!!! :eek:

Good Grief I hope so!!! :eek:

Although it might be a good thing, their wives might enjoy different types of tea. Fast brewed, slow brewed, different herbs. Yup, it is always good to explore new ways to brew your tea. :D:D. In fact, I might have to talk to DH about some slow brewed tea with a little...spearmint, yeah, that sounds good. Cause we usually have tea during a Dora video. Those are pretty short, ya' know. Maybe some tea with Cinderella. Hmmmm have to look into that.

I could never get where I wanted to go with just normal tea. If my dh was into just normal tea, I would have a drawer full of alternatives. :tongue_smilie:

I was talking with an old friend of mine who is a couple's therapist once, and she said I would be amazed at the number of women who had never really reached their destination.

I'm just curious, those of you that don't ever use anything, do you normally just have normal tea? or do you things orally to get there? We spice things up, actually about once a week have O/S but I still need more to get there. Just curious.

Phlox

I can't believe you all are still talking about this!

Anyway, Ah, yup... lots and often. But, then I've never had a problem reaching the destination (many times) :lol:

Hold the phone, people. Are you saying that some of you can make hot tea without the instant hot water do-hickey? Like, how long does that take, to get her up to a... rolling boil? I mean, why boil water by starting a fire rubbing two sticks together if you're going to have to wait 2 hours for the freaking fire when you could have hot tea in, say, two minutes? In fact, I didn't even know it was possible, that any dear man had that kind of stamina. I thought the electricity-free hot cup of tea was a myth. I thought ladies said, Oh, my! Oh, honey! That's a wonderful cup of tea you made me, dear, but they were really just thinking, isn't he done yet? Where's my tea?

Maybe I'm revealing too much about my hot tea history here, but boy, howdy, do I ever wish I'd found the instant hot water tap for hot tea before I was 31! And we tried our darndest, no kidding, but the tea was not... forthcoming. Because, cripes, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that a hot cup of tea, administered regularly, is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle.

Really, how long does it take to get to hot tea if you're going there without electricity? I'm serious. I want to know.

Laura

Hold the phone, people. Are you saying that some of you can make hot tea without the instant hot water do-hickey? Like, how long does that take, to get her up to a... rolling boil? I mean, why boil water by starting a fire rubbing two sticks together if you're going to have to wait 2 hours for the freaking fire when you could have hot tea in, say, two minutes? In fact, I didn't even know it was possible, that any dear man had that kind of stamina. I thought the electricity-free hot cup of tea was a myth. I thought ladies said, Oh, my! Oh, honey! That's a wonderful cup of tea you made me, dear, but they were really just thinking, isn't he done yet? Where's my tea?

Maybe I'm revealing too much about my hot tea history here, but boy, howdy, do I ever wish I'd found the instant hot water tap for hot tea before I was 31! And we tried our darndest, no kidding, but the tea was not... forthcoming. Because, cripes, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that a hot cup of tea, administered regularly, is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle.

Really, how long does it take to get to hot tea if you're going there without electricity? I'm serious. I want to know.

[ETA: When I wrote this, I had only two little green boxes, 199 points. Now, you'll notice, I have three! And you've also offered me plenty of very helpful information along with that rep. You are so good. Thank you! So many ways to make hot tea. I had no idea....]

:lol::lol: Dh makes an awesome cup of hot tea. Brewed to perfection in a matter of minutes. Practice makes perfect, they say...

Ditto. With the little "t's". :laugh:

Wait. What?

Are you making a distinction between "tea" and "t" here? Are you saying what I think you're saying? Because getting hot water for "t" is a lot easier than for "tea" - in my pathetically limited experience (married to an old coffee drinker, too). I wonder if this is the case for many of us? Or just some?

:lol::lol: Dh makes an awesome cup of hot tea. Brewed to perfection in a matter of minutes. Practice makes perfect, they say...

Criminy! So many of you have said this, and I'm stunned. Truly.

But totally happy for you, too! I didn't even know that was possible, so today I will have having a little interior happy dance while we slog through school. So while I'm saying stuff like: "Doesn't matter if you don't want to do your grammar, we're doing it!" I'll be thinking: And tea can be enjoyed in mere minutes, without electricity! Woo hoo!

Criminy! So many of you have said this, and I'm stunned. Truly.

But totally happy for you, too! I didn't even know that was possible, so today I will have having a little interior happy dance while we slog through school. So while I'm saying stuff like: "Doesn't matter if you don't want to do your grammar, we're doing it!" I'll be thinking: And tea can be enjoyed in mere minutes, without electricity! Woo hoo!

Yep. Gives a whole new lift to dangling participles! :lol:

Wait. What?

Are you making a distinction between "tea" and "t" here? Are you saying what I think you're saying? Because getting hot water for "t" is a lot easier than for "tea" - in my pathetically limited experience (married to an old coffee drinker, too). I wonder if this is the case for many of us? Or just some?

Read this.

First off, I'm not sure I understand all these posts. Could we get a vocabulary key, please? I've looked up tryptic, and while I get the general idea, I couldn't find a definition of tryptic that made sense in the context. Little t's? I'm totally lost there. It's been interesting reading with my morning coffee. And I do mean actual coffee which is a beverage I like to have alone unlike the "tea" discussed here.

I do like that tea analogy. I'd agree with what Eliana has said. The idea of having my "tea" all by myself just doesn't interest me. "Tea" is for enjoying together in my book, though that's no judgement on how others have theirs. Different spices, flavors, slow brewing or fast brewing methods, all are good and variety is nice. Dh can make me a nice steaming hot cup of tea in 5-10 minutes if I'm in the mood. I find that the difference in brewing times is probably 90% where my head is. If I'm thinking about it and mentally ready to make that cup of tea, it brews quickly and continuously. Sometimes I can have several pots of tea. Being mentally prepared for tea time may mean thinking about it at different times throughout the day, a little flirting from dh, being physically prepared (getting all dressed up for the tea party), or it can be just the right thing said or done by dh at the right moment and there's instant tea. The "right thing" is tricky though as it's always changing. Good thing dh enjoys the challenge of how to make the perfect cup of tea each time.

Okay, that's enough from me:blush: I've got to go feed the horses now. And that is not code for anything, I'm really late in feeding the actual horses. We did know someone for whom "feed the horses" was code for "making tea". Likewise for "doing the laundry". Now I get to add "making tea" and "tea party" to my list. I just love expanding my vocabulary. It's been an education, Ladies!

Dh and I have tea every 2 days or so, and never use any sort of appliances, electrical or otherwise, to brew it.

Every couple of weeks we find that we are really thirsty, and have several cups within an hour or so, but most of the time one cup is enough, since it only takes us about 5-10 minutes to make our tea really steaming hot.

Thank you to whoever it was that struck the tea analogy--it's the only way I would have found to answer this one! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I am not opposed to using an electric tea brewer, but know that I wouldn't end up with tea if I used one. On the other hand, the coffee table art might appeal to me, but dh would definitely feel threatened if I opted to use one of those to make my tea.

Okay. I really didn't want to post on this thread, especially because I can't come up with any really effective euphemistic analogies - and certainly not any *funny* ones! I'll try to fumble along with the hot water/tea one... but I might not make any sense! :)

I don't see it (and haven't experienced it) as a water heating issue. Unlimited hot water has been available here from the beginning. Nor do I like to have my cup of tea alone - for me the pleasure is all in the sharing of the tea and there really would be any point (for me) in having a cup by myself.

But dh and I enjoy trying different... seasonings in our tea, different water temperatures, different intensities of steeping. When you boil it down to essentials, it's still tea... but putting a little spearmint in with the peppermint, mixing up nettle and raspberry... it can be nice to have a variety.

And, I don't know how to fit this into the analogy, but for us playfulness, experimentation, and exploration have always been special to us - in all aspects of our lives. We like to try to new things... but we always like to try them together. .. new word puzzle games, new authors, new skills, new toys of any kind... whatever we do we do together and the togetherness is always the most important thing there... we could hold empty mugs and sit together and it would still be magical. It's about the sharing, the connection, and the sense that everyday and every cup of tea is new and fresh and we never know quite how this cup of tea is going to turn out.

Thank you, Eliana! That was beautiful.:001_smile:

I'd never ordinarily ask this question, but since we're already discussing tea...:tongue_smilie:

I'm wondering if any of your dh's have preferences where you have had to just "draw the line"?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are some things I'm *just not willing to do*, which has occasionally caused some disagreement over the years. Am I the only one? :confused: I'll try most things once, but there are a few things (okay, mostly just one) that I'm just never gonna enjoy, kwim?

I'm wondering if any of your dh's have preferences where you have had to just "draw the line"?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are some things I'm *just not willing to do*, which has occasionally caused some disagreement over the years. Am I the only one? :confused: I'll try most things once, but there are a few things (okay, mostly just one) that I'm just never gonna enjoy, kwim?

Like trying to brew tea in the wrong pot? :D

Like trying to brew tea in the wrong pot? :D

Oh my gosh, yes! :lol:

Wow Genie, you knew at first guess! How'd 'ya know? You have esp or somethin'?

ETA: Wait...now I think I need to make sure you *really* know what I mean...not a different tea pot as in, not with me, just a different part of the pot! :001_huh:

Okay. I really didn't want to post on this thread, especially because I can't come up with any really effective euphemistic analogies - and certainly not any *funny* ones! I'll try to fumble along with the hot water/tea one... but I might not make any sense! :)

I don't see it (and haven't experienced it) as a water heating issue. Unlimited hot water has been available here from the beginning. Nor do I like to have my cup of tea alone - for me the pleasure is all in the sharing of the tea and there really would be any point (for me) in having a cup by myself.

But dh and I enjoy trying different... seasonings in our tea, different water temperatures, different intensities of steeping. When you boil it down to essentials, it's still tea... but putting a little spearmint in with the peppermint, mixing up nettle and raspberry... it can be nice to have a variety.

And, I don't know how to fit this into the analogy, but for us playfulness, experimentation, and exploration have always been special to us - in all aspects of our lives. We like to try to new things... but we always like to try them together. .. new word puzzle games, new authors, new skills, new toys of any kind... whatever we do we do together and the togetherness is always the most important thing there... we could hold empty mugs and sit together and it would still be magical. It's about the sharing, the connection, and the sense that everyday and every cup of tea is new and fresh and we never know quite how this cup of tea is going to turn out.

I wanted to rep you for this but alas I have given out too much rep in the last 24 hours. I just love to hear stories from happily marrieds though.

I don'y have one thought about it. Whats so cool about them Or is that way too personal LOL???

Well, many different things. As many have pointed out: they can be fun, make things faster or easier or sometimes possible at all. They can pick up the slack or increase the interest or relieve the tension when another party is not available. Probably as many reasons as their are people and toys. Different toys serve different purposes and different things work for different people. And if you look at some of the links, some of these things are just down right beautiful.

Oh my gosh, yes! :lol:

Wow Genie, you knew at first guess! How'd 'ya know? You have esp or somethin'?

ETA: Wait...now I think I need to make sure you *really* know what I mean...not a different tea pot as in, not with me, just a different part of the pot! :001_huh:

Yeah. The pot in the back of the cabinet. :lol:

On the other hand, the coffee table art might appeal to me,

I LOVE this twist on words. That's another great one!! Coffee table art! LOL

'm wondering if any of your dh's have preferences where you have had to just "draw the line"?

The #1 rule in our bedroom is as long as we are both okay with it, it's fine. But it is always and forever important that it's also okay to say "time out, I don't really like this" and no hard feelings. We are of the camp that as long as it doesn't hurt or affect anyone else, all's fun in the tea making room. ;) And since the other poster guessed right I'd say you are extremely right in not doing what you don't want.

Yeah. The pot in the back of the cabinet. :lol:

There's a certain well known tea expert who maintains that men should not even ask to brew tea in that pot until they've brewed tea in their own. Edited 'cause I was running with the wrong metaphor.

Ok, ok, now you're just being funny, euphemistically speaking. :lol:

(BTW, you didn't answer my question, either)

{slinking away in embarassment now...}

Oh, I'm with you on that one! Each kitchen utensil has its very specific purpose. You start using the wrong thing, and your dessert just might fall flat!

First off, I'm not sure I understand all these posts. Could we get a vocabulary key, please? I've looked up tryptic, and while I get the general idea, I couldn't find a definition of tryptic that made sense in the context. Little t's? I'm totally lost there.

Ditto.

No wait!! Wrong word!! :eek:

:D

I really couldn't figure out which was worse...donating it to the Goodwill, or someone buying it.

I didn't even notice it until some crazy lady picked it up and started waving it in my face exclaiming, "Is this what I think it is????" I got myself and toddlers to the other end of the store as quickly as I could.

The only thing worse than seeing one for sale at the Goodwill is seeing someone buying one at the Goodwill. I know, because I did once. The thought that went through my head, compassionate woman that I am, was, I hope she tested that thing and that it worked and that the person who donated it didn't do so because she's burned out the motor on those, uh, back massages. Imagine the disappointment!

I did buy something once that looked just like a diTTo at the Goodwill. I was walking through the housewares, saw this... thing... and was utterly astonished. Naturally, I had to see if what I thought I was seeing actually was what I was seeing, so I took a good look. Guess what! It was a little plastic diTTo shaped tryptic thingie, that opened up and there was Jesus, inside.

One meets Jesus in the darndest places these days.

Ditto.

No wait!! Wrong word!! :eek:

:D

Now Kaylee, we know all about your nethers and batteries. :D:D

(I feel like I must add... that's a Firefly reference for those wondering why I called her the wrong name and referred to her nethers... :blush:)

Yes, I have heard some women say that they would like a small sign above said teapot stating "Exit Only".

I've heard of women wanting to get a "W" tattooed on each side of that spout. So that either way you look at it, it says something.

(I feel like I must add... that's a Firefly reference for those wondering why I called her the wrong name and referred to her nethers... :blush:)

Awww, I miss Firefly. I loved Kaylee. :001_smile:

Let me just say, now that I've stopped laughing, that things were a lot simpler when I was in kindergarten and I thought that any time my dad kissed my mom good bye before work his seed might fly (through his clothes--it's tiny, isn't it?) from him into her and she could get pregnant.

We don't, even though in theory I don't have a problem with the idea. If I were to want one, I'd be way, way, way too embarassed to get one (and not many things embarass me anymore). But what really floored me was when one day we got a catalogue from the Vermont Country Store, which really caters to the older crowd (stockings for vericose veins, etc, etc) and I had to hide it from my dc because it was selling just the kind of toys you all have been discussing here. I mean, the real Vermont Country Store that sells things like oilcloth table cloths, etc.

OMG, Genie, I'd totally FORGOTTEN that line! How apropos! Here 'tis for those amongst us who aren't Browncoats:

"Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" :smilielol5: