Menu

Moms of 4 or more, what math do you use?

vaquitita

108 members have voted

1. 1. What math curriculum do you use, when you have 4 or more kids?

I voted for other and use BJU Math. I have 4 kids and use Miquon the first few years, but have recently discovered BJU when we started foster care in October. With babies and toddlers coming in and out, BJU had been wonderful. I love the video/online option, manipulative use, story line, conceptual teaching and mental math(though not quite to the level of SM, MM, or RS), colorful graphics, that is goes K-12, and the review built into it while it is still a mastery program. The con is the price and how teacher intensive it is if you do not use the DVD/online.

I don't think it is the curriculum that matters as much as time management and mastering a familial flow. Learning how to teach one and having that child being disciplined enough to sit quietly and work independently or wait quietly with their questions without interrupting while I work with another child is the biggest hurdle. The kids learn to move on the questions they can answer without my help and then when I am available ask for assistance. If they can't do any more independently without help, they read another assignment, etc.

I agree. I have five here and have found that being consistent with the daily rhythm and expectations, as well as diligently reinforcing discipline in my kids so that they can work mostly without distraction while I work with others are more important than the curriculum itself.

I'm not sure my curricula choices would be much help as we use almost as many different curricula as we have children.  Scheduling, flow of your day, and self direction gets the job done.  In seasons where I feel stretched thin, I default to what gets done.  Sometimes the best isn't when it creates more work for you or causes stress.  

• Like 1

We use MM although only 2 of mine are school age right now. I have my girls switch off with math. One plays with the twins while the other does math then they swap. I spend 30 min with each girl. That change has made a world of difference for us. We use MM because after trying different curriculums that's what works for us but it isn't an independent program for us.

I have always used Saxon for my 6 kiddos.  I also utilized the DIVE cd's as well.  It has worked very well.  However, Saxon was moving way too slow for my mathy 8yo, so I gave CLE a try and LOVE it!  I will probably keep using CLE for another year or so and then move him over to Saxon.  My kids have always been able to read, or listen to the DIVE CD on their own, so it has been largely independent.  My older 3 have scored very well on their PSAT/SAT scores as well:)  I love Saxon!

I voted other since I use Bob Jones.

I don't use the DL. I have heard that takes quite a bit of time to watch.

I own the TM, student books, and hands on supplements that come with each elementary grade. Right now I have an upcoming 6th, 4th, 3rd, & toddler.

My kids get math, so I am blessed in the teaching part. The lessons in the TM are fabulous, but I find I only need to teach one - three of the lessons for each new chapter for each new concept. It is mastery based. Once they have the concept in a lesson or two they practice it each day until the test. Review is built in. It has been the easiest program for me to use with 4 kids. I loved teaching Singapore, but every day seemed like a new concept without those practice days when I can teach someone else. MUS was cumbersome for us with 3 doing math. BJU has been a great fit and manageable.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I use Ray's Primary and then Intellectual daily (nearly all of it done orally with me), along with Miquon a couple times a week. They complement each other nicely. I used to used Ray's Practical too, but it got too unwieldy now that I have 4 kids doing math (and 2.5 littles). So now I use SU (and continue Ray's Intellectual) once they hit 3rd grade. I love Strayor Upton! My oldest is working through the first half of the yellow book, and my second is in the first half of red. We also did Life of Fred for a while, which they enjoyed but was worthless as far as learning or retaining any math. Oh, and for 1st-2nd grade they read the I Love Math series once a week or so. And sometimes I check out the Sir Cumference/Penrose type books from the library. 

We have done, RightStart, Key to..., Math U See, Scott Foresman, Math Mammoth, Teaching Textbooks, Lial's, Videotext Algebra, Derek Owen's online.

I think that's all. I have kids quick with math and some who get through by sheer struggle. It really depends on the kids and where they are at and how mature they are. It also depends on where I am at and how much I can help them and who needs the most help at any one time.

I take a slightly different tack; instead of teaching everyone with the same curriculum to save time in prep, I choose (to the extent possible) the program best suited to each kid's idiosyncrasies so that there is less direct teaching to do (I also choose programs written to the student where possible).

Math curricula I have tried, largely in order of trying them:

Saxon

Life of Fred

Miquon

Math Mammoth

Beast Academy

Khan Academy

Prodigy (not that this is really curriculum, as such)

AoPS (Pre-A)

Teaching Textbooks

Dolciani (Pre-A and Alg.)

Saxon was teacher-intensive and boring, Life of Fred was way too much work for how little actual math we got out of it, Miquon was okay for about a year and a half but definitely not taught to the child, Math Mammoth went well for a while but DS9 figured out that it was Schoolwork And Therefore To Be Resisted At All Costs, Beast Academy we still use, Khan was only liked by me - they found it tedious to watch the videos, Prodigy they love but it doesn't teach, AoPS was a year and a half of frustration, Teaching Textbooks has been great (surprisingly) because DS9 is willing to compromise and do it even though it is Schoolwork because after all they have Bonus Rounds and Moving Graphics, and Dolciani is the perfect fit for DD12, who is finally understanding new topics without my having to explain them 5x each.

• Like 1

I voted for MUS when this poll came up the first time, but we've just switched to CLE and I'm liking it so much more!  We've all just finished our first light unit and I feel like it covers so much more (with lots more review), yet I can still easily teach it to 4 DC.  I really wish I'd have tried this sooner...it's been great for my struggling math student.

• Like 3

I have 4, but technically only 3 are school age so far,

I've also used many different math curricula, for different kids at different ages. I think this is a list of all we've used:

Singapore Essentials- used for first two, found it unnecessary and didn't use for 3rd dd and no plans for 4th.

Math Mammoth- use as a supplement, not primary or regular

MEP- Also used as a supplement occasionally

Miquon- used Orange for dd9, completed with dd7, and intend to complete with dd5 (she's on the 3rd book). It's my favorite for early elementary.

Saxon- used half of 1st grade with dd9. It was too cumbersome so switched

CLE- used grade 1-3.5 for dd9. Great fit for a while and good program, but dd9 has some special needs that made it a bad fit after a while. I don't intend to use it for other children.

Beast Academy- use for dd5 and dd7, plan to complete with both girls.

Redbird Math- used for dd7. She liked it ok but it is discontinued. It was only supplemental

Teaching Textbooks- only use for dd9 because of a wide array of issues specific to her. Working well for her but don't intend to use for other kids.

Basically, DD9 has a different math than her sisters because of ability/fit. DD7 and DD5 are both doing well with a mostly Miquon/BA mix, although now that dd7 finished Miquon, I'm also supplementing her with MM topical books for extra practice. I might throw in some other stuff too, we'll see.  I disagree that Miquon is teacher intensive. It has always been very hands-off and effective that way for me. BA is a little more hands-on, but not prohibitively so. TT is about as hands-off as you can get, which was a lot of the reason I chose it for that particular child. It is also very easy, at least so far. This dd needed, short, simple, spiral, and me out of the picture. That's basically TT in a nutshell.  It would not be my choice for most kids, but never say never. :)

I know this is old and I don't have four kids but anyone have tips for making Singapore specifically work well with multiple kids at the same time? I really like Singapore but it is quite teacher intensive. And when it comes to the workbook I have one who gets it done in about 10 minutes so I don't get much buffer time and one who seems to not get it at all without me right there the whole time. The youngest is pretty good but not getting the attention needed because the older two suck all the time!

Wow it's funny to see your own old thread bumped up. :D It's from almost 3 years ago.

I voted for MUS when this poll came up the first time, but we've just switched to CLE and I'm liking it so much more! We've all just finished our first light unit and I feel like it covers so much more (with lots more review), yet I can still easily teach it to 4 DC. I really wish I'd have tried this sooner...it's been great for my struggling math student.

I think I was struggling to juggle Singapore math when I posted this. We went from there to MUS, which is lovely easy to use, but the weird S&S got to me more and more and the extreme mastery became as issue for my struggling math student. I now pretty much use something different for each kid. LOL. My struggler is doing great in CLE now. My oldest is using Beast Academy. My third kid is using Right Start with Beast as a supplement. Number four starts next year and I'll probably use Right Start.

If I could go back and give myself advice, which of course my younger self wouldn't understand/listen to 😂 ... I'd say don't worry about how I'll fit it all in once all four kids are in school, but just do what's best for now because it just keeps changing as the kids change from year to year. Next year I will have four kids in school and while I am panicking a bit, the older kids are so much more capable that things go so much more smoothly than I could ever have imagined 3 years ago.

• Like 4

I don't think it is the curriculum that matters as much as time management and mastering a familial flow. Learning how to teach one and having that child being disciplined enough to sit quietly and work independently or wait quietly with their questions without interrupting while I work with another child is the biggest hurdle. The kids learn to move on the questions they can answer without my help and then when I am available ask for assistance. If they can't do any more independently without help, they read another assignment, etc.

I totally agree with the above.

We have 7 children and use A Beka. In K and 1st grade, I sit with them, and they do 1 page a day, which takes 10-15 minutes at most. From then on, they continue doing a page a day, but they start out on their own, reading the explanation at the top of the page and doing as much as they can on their own. If they don’t understand something they leave it blank, and skip to the review portion. Sometimes they try new things and get it wrong. That’s fine. I meet with them at some point during the day to check their work and explain anything they missed or didn’t understand. They end up being pretty independent.

With my oldest, we switched to Saxon for Algebra. He’s usng Derek Owens now, and I’ll probably use it for the others once the hit the algebra stage.