Menu

Prayers please

Rose in BC

Tomorrow my dh and I are flying 1500 km to city where he will have a prostate biopsy for suspected cancer. We need prayers. We have two special needs kids, one living at home. Besides our anxiety over cancer we have never left our 18 year old son home without one of us being home. He's capable of feeding himself, etc. but he has FASD and mild intellectual disability which means he's a wild card. :) you know those stories you hear on news where a kid's parents leave town and six hundred kids show up to party at their house. That would be my boy. And it wouldn't be intentional. Now, my 19 yr old daughter with no special needs is also home so she will temper things but it's still nerve wracking. We also have friends on standby if she needs help.

We have no choice but to go. We'll be gone three nights.

Please pray for my dh and for safety and no trouble at home.

• Like 3

Oh oh! Prayers for ALL of you. I hope it's benign, the procedure is cake, the travel is smooth, and you and the kids sleep easy, too, with no crazy house parties OR tears.

Hugs to your husband, I'd be terrified!

Everyone I have known who has had prostate cancer (and there have been quite a few by now) has had it taken care of with excellent results.  Of course we are praying it's benign, but know that it's also a very treatable cancer.

Rose I will include you and your DH in my prayers. For what it is worth, I had a Biopsy on my Prostate, in 2006, and I do not remember it was a big deal. Uncomfortable for a few minutes, but nothing horribly traumatic.  Less than the discomfort of having a Vasectomy done under Local Anesthesia, which obviously is the way a Vasectomy should be done.

NOTE: The day I had the Biopsy on my Prostate, my Urologist also was there with several other men. One man, I felt very sorry for, because they were going to do it under General Anesthesia (the Prostate Biopsy) and then he was going to be admitted to the hospital.  His wife was there with him.  He had built the fear of the examination up to such a high level, that he would not have it done while he was awake.

As I recall, we walked from the hospital to a nearby restaurant after I had the Biopsy and then we came home.

I am not sure why you need to go 1500 miles to have the examination done, but I suspect you live in a very remote area of BC.

My Biopsy results were Negative and I hope that will also be the case for your DH.  My Urologist had felt that because of repeated high PSA levels the Biopsy was necessary.  We have absolute confidence in our Urologist.  He had also done a procedure on my wife, many years ago, that eliminated a problem other doctors had been unable to cure.

• Like 2

We are back. Lanny your words were timely. Travelling to city my dh was getting very nervous. I thought he might back out of biopsy. I was able to read your comments to him. Your description was pretty accurate. We were very nervous (and tired). But a couple hour after procedure indeed we went out for dinner in big city. And yes Lanny we live far away from urban centre. We were given choice of two urban centre. Vancouver was easiest fro us to access by plane.

First day gone was eventful with my special boy. I'd tell the story but like most of our "child with FASD" stories, they're so unbelievable you might think I'm a troll. But next couple days were better. We got home at midnight last night. House still standing, dogs still alive, daughter only mildly traumatized by her special brother.

We will hopefully have biopsy results by end of week. I hope so. It's so stressful. Drs were very kind and supportive.

• Like 17

First day gone was eventful with my special boy. I'd tell the story but like most of our "child with FASD" stories, they're so unbelievable you might think I'm a troll. 

We will hopefully have biopsy results by end of week. I hope so. It's so stressful. Drs were very kind and supportive.

I love stories - they're so much fun to share AFTER the event is over and I don't believe you're a troll.

Otherwise... really hoping you get good results from the biopsy.   :grouphug:  for the wait.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a brief update.  Biopsy came back inconclusive but highly suspicious cells indicating a carcinoma.  We are heading back to the big city July 30 for a second biopsy.  Local Dr did indicate the area is small so if it is cancer it seems, at this point, easily treatable.

• Like 2

Here's a brief update.  Biopsy came back inconclusive but highly suspicious cells indicating a carcinoma.  We are heading back to the big city July 30 for a second biopsy.  Local Dr did indicate the area is small so if it is cancer it seems, at this point, easily treatable.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Here's a brief update. Biopsy came back inconclusive but highly suspicious cells indicating a carcinoma. We are heading back to the big city July 30 for a second biopsy. Local Dr did indicate the area is small so if it is cancer it seems, at this point, easily treatable.

:grouphug: