Menu

I'm not feeling the love

gingersmom

I have been volunteering for about 8 months now at the same place. I would drop my son at school and then drive 20-45 minutes to the place ( I showed in crazy snowstorms that I had no business driving in ).

I would get there around 7:45 am. I would much rather be back at home drinking coffee, but I would get up 30 minutes early so I could shower, drop at school and go there.

Towards the end of May a new volunteer was on my shift who I was not fond of so I took myself off the schedule for the summer.

I got a rather snippy email from volunteer coordinator saying I didn't show this morning and why not. I was rather taken back by the tone of it and I haven't been scheduled in several weeks.

I emailed her back telling her they were mistaken, blah blah and she replied again with another snippy email.

I think my feelings are hurt. In fact I am sure of it.

I have another volunteer job where I am thanked every week for my help, they have had food catered for the volunteers, I have gotten two gift cards to local coffee shops. It makes me realize how much more my service is appreciated. A simple thank you means a lot.

• Like 8

Is the volunteer coordinator a volunteer also? Or is she a paid position? Some people look at voluteer positions a power and authority positions.  (We had this in a HOA in Texas.  One guy had a real problem with it and eventually got let go.) 

The Damn Yankee in me would say "What is your problem? You do realize I am a volunteer? I give up my time to help here, and I don't appreciate the tone.  Especially when I have not been on the schedule for a few weeks.  You need to check the attitude and check your schedules better.  And not treat you volunteers so poorly!" 

But everyone that's not a DY on here would tell you to email her and say something like oh, guess you are having a bad day, I can hear your frustration in your email.  But to remind you, I am off the schedule, and have been for the last few weeks.  Not sure what would have messed it up to make it look like I was due to be there.  Very strange. 

But I would probably stick to volunteering at the closer nicer place.  And if asked why I wasn't coming back, tell them.

• Like 6

And i would be sure to tell them what's going on--not the volunteer coordinator, but someone higher up. It would be a shame for a worthy organization to continue to lose volunteers because of a snippy coordinator.

Very good point. There was a case study in my nonprofit management text book about a longtime volunteer promoted to a paid volunteer coordinator position with a similar sort of interactive attitude. (Obviously, not in a positive way) The leadership should be made aware of the situation so they can do some remediation before they lose the volunteer base entirely.

• Like 1

I worked as a volunteer for a racehorse rescue and let me tell you, I was treated abominably. I spent 2 hours a day with this horse, rehabbing him, bought hundreds of dollars of expensive supplements out of my own pocket, worked with him for almost 6 months, and was never thanked--in fact, i was screamed at by the owner of the organization for daring to question the way she spent funds. Needless to say, I was heartbroken at having to say goodbye to the animals, but man, that b**ch was CRAZY!!!

• Like 1

Yep, volunteer elsewhere. I used to volunteer in the public schools (when all of the girls attended). I remember once I was organizing books (there were hundreds, thrown in a box and they needed to be sorted according to reading ability). I was stacking them based on where they were to go and a teacher walked in, furious. She wasn't mad at me, she was mad at the kids being promoted that couldn't read. She was fussing about that and started picking up the stacks of books and throwing them. She then walked out and after looking at the mess of books on the floor, I walked out as well. (And told the principal why I was leaving). I still have one daughter in public school. I volunteer for book fairs as the librarians are a lot nicer and more appreciative of volunteers. 

I'm also careful at where I place my daughters to do volunteer work. Currently, they only volunteer at the Senior Citizen center and the public library. 

• Like 1

Over the years I have volunteered in several places and have been volunteer coordinator as well. If I got an email like this (and in circumstances you described), I would probably email back: "Thank you for the opportunity to volunteer. I have shifted my volunteer efforts to a new field. Best Wishes..."

• Like 2

Yikes. I would just tell her to remove you from the schedule and you aren't able to help anymore and you will let her know if the situation changes. I would probably inform a higher up of her attitude as well. They don't need someone running off volunteers. A volunteer coordinator needs to be able to work with people better than that.

• Like 1

That stinks.  :grouphug:   Consider discussing or e-mailing (I think face to face would be the best option) the snippy (I'd use another word) e-mail with the sender.  She may find herself with fewer and fewer volunteers.  Expressing tone in e-mail can be tricky, but if you speak with her and she doesn't apologize...it may be time to devote your time where you will be valued and appreciated.

• Like 1

<snip>

The Damn Yankee in me would say "What is your problem? You do realize I am a volunteer? I give up my time to help here, and I don't appreciate the tone. Especially when I have not been on the schedule for a few weeks. You need to check the attitude and check your schedules better. And not treat you volunteers so poorly!"

But everyone that's not a DY on here would tell you to email her and say something like oh, guess you are having a bad day, I can hear your frustration in your email. But to remind you, I am off the schedule, and have been for the last few weeks. Not sure what would have messed it up to make it look like I was due to be there. Very strange.

<snip>

This Native Texan would say the same thing! Your second paragraph simply wouldn't be written by me in this situation. There's giving grace and then there's being a doormat.

Inexcusable way to treat anyone, let alone people so giving of their time and effort.