Menu

People who live in places other than the US

saraha

Where do you live and what percentage of your media viewing is produced in the US?

I was having a conversation with a camp counselor we met yesterday from New Zealand.  I asked her what kind of goofy questions people have asked her since she got here.  Her response was that people were surprised when she mentioned having seen American movies or tv. She said that most things she has seen are American or British. We didn't get to finish the conversation ( we were at girl scout camp) but it just got me wondering about it.  I've never thought about what people watch in countries that don't produce a lot of  media, but now I am really curious.

Thanks!

When I grew up in The Netherlands, probably about half? Other English-language accounted for probably at least another fourth. The vast majority of things on TV or in the movie theater that are for people over 6yo are in something foreign with Dutch subtitles. It's very good for kids' reading skills.

• Like 2

I'm in the UK.  I don't think we qualify as 'not producing a lot of media'.  A large proportion of films are from the US.  This is a mainstream cinema schedule, for reference.  However, we produce a lot of television, particularly through the publicly-funded BBC.  Almost all of the news that I see is from the BBC, and much of the television programming.  The BBC does buy in US content, but there's a lot of British content too.  This is a mainstream popular BBC channel.

There are a lot of films produced in Mexico but much of what is on TV and most of what is in the theaters is from the US.

There was plenty of US and UK media in Kyrgyzstan, but Russia and and the rest of Europe had a big influence there too.

• Like 1

Wow, this is really interesting.  I wonder why American tv is broadcast so much throughout the world, while our network tv doesn't play anything from anywhere else but Canada and BBC (on pbs, correct?)  It has been a long time since we have had broadcast or cable tv.   We went from 2006 until 2012 with no tv at all..  Then we got Netflix, which is still the only thing we watch.  

Colombia.  In my case, I only watch TV shows that are produced and shown in the USA.  Well, on very rare occasions, I will watch something with my wife that was produced somewhere else, but the only TV programs I watch on a regular, daily basis are from the USA.  I do remember watching 2 or 3 movies with my wife a couple of months ago that were not produced in the USA.  I keep up with local current events on the Internet. For many years, we subscribed to the local newspaper in Cali, but we gave that up years ago and it gets thinner and thinner as time goes on.

ETA:

If you go to a major mall in Cali, where there are approximately 12 theaters showing different movies, the majority of them, if not all of them, will be showing movies made in the USA.   I remember noting several times that they begin here the same day as in the USA or shortly after that.

Canada.  TV shows would be mostly Cdn daytime stuff.  Almost all the evening shows are US shows, but I don't watch them.  We also get quite a lot of British television.  Then there is all the Quebec programming.  TBH, I watch more evening Quebec shows than anything else.

For movies, it's almost all US, with a smattering of UK offerings here and there. 

India.  Indian TV has lots of Indian programming, but there are channels dedicated to American TV shows as well.  Plus, most of the kids programming seems to be American.

India has a HUGE movie industry here (in multiple languages).  So if I go to a multiplex there might be 8 Indian movies and 2 American movies at any given time.

We don't watch Indian TV and we mostly watch movie and shows from the US or the UK.

Are you asking what is available to view/consume or what we choose? 

Australia produces a fair bit of television / movies for a small country (remember we are small in population, although large geographically) which is created and shown with substantial government funding. At the same time, we also import a lot of US-produced stuff both through free-to-air commercial television stations and through pay TV (cable) and more recently we have services such as Netflix. Australia is probably a decade or three behind the US in how this is progressing, for example I understand that having some kind of pay TV is pretty normal over there, whereas here most people I know don't have it, and it's still viewed as a luxury by many (it costs around three times as much here). We also get a lot of material from the UK, and a lesser amount from various other countries. A common opinion is that US programming is of lower quality ('American rubbish'), except for a few flagship shows that seem to be mega popular. I have been told that the reason for this is that Australian television channels buy programs in bundles, so that if they want something good, they have to take a few not so good shows as well (not sure whether this is correct).

In my household we don't actually watch any US programming on a regular basis, although over half the films we choose would be from the US (we mostly access movies by renting them on YouTube). We use Hola to access free content (eg from UK television channels) that blocks Australia. If we can't find something either free or to rent on YouTube, we try the Google movies.

Computer games mostly come from the US - I don't even know whether we have gaming development in Australia (we're not big into gaming in my family, so I don't know a lot about it). Games cost more here; it's normal for a new game to retail at double the US price, even taking currency exchange rates into account.

What do you watch that's Canadian?

Murdoch Mysteries, Orphan Black... There are others I've watched occasionally but honestly can't remember the names until I see them. Which is not to say they're not good enough to remember, but I watch via AcornTV which is all BBC/CBC* so I might watch a season and not see anything until the next season is released.

*not OB. That's on Netflix.

In Australia. Tons of American stuff. Tons of British stuff and quite a lot of Australian stuff. Those would be the top 3.

When I lived in Korea they had lots of American stuff that was subtitled...not dubbed.

Australian shows are usually high quality...as are the British shows. American shows are what they are LOL ( not as realist as other countries). We get some Canadian shows. A couple shows from New Zealand ...mostly reality tv type stuff.

How do you watch these shows?

I watch with online streaming either on the computer or through the Wii.  Hulu and Netflix both have Korean shows.  Netflix is completed series but Hulu runs a week or two behind currently airing shows.  I mainly watch on Dramafever or through Soompi because they are the safest place to watch currently airing Korean shows.  Viki is OK. 

For Thai shows I go to youtube.  I use mydramalist.com to keep track of what I am watching and to find out about other shows. 

I also have friends on twitter and other sites from all over the world who watch the shows at the same time I do so we all talk about them.  My friend from India is the worst at getting me hooked on different shows out of Thailand.  She finds them and talks about them and then I have to watch them as well.  Thai lakorns are worse than drugs but you do have to throw all common sense out of the window because the characters are insane.

I also have a friend who writes for Dramabeans and we enable each other with Korean drama and variety shows.  Never ever watch Korean variety shows unless you are ready to give up on a normal life.  There is no turning back. 

We do have a support group on here for Korean drama watchers.

• Like 1