Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

If you are the praying type... (urgent prayer request)

May she be found safe and soon.

Kinsa, I am going to respectfully suggest that your ds see a counselor or therapist. If this is your 17 yo, he is very young and his girlfriend carries many heavy burdens. This relationship will affect him and there may be outcomes that you did not foresee. I say this as a parent of a child who has struggled with depression and who has been in a relationship with someone who has struggled. The potential for damage is very real and should not be overlooked. :grouphug:

May she be found safe and soon.

Kinsa, I am going to respectfully suggest that your ds see a counselor or therapist. If this is your 17 yo, he is very young and his girlfriend carries many heavy burdens. This relationship will affect him and there may be outcomes that you did not foresee. I say this as a parent of a child who has struggled with depression and who has been in a relationship with someone who has struggled. The potential for damage is very real and should not be overlooked. :grouphug:

I am very concerned for Karen's son, as well. I worry that he may be feeling guilty about not having had the time to see the girl yesterday, and thinking he might have been able to prevent her from running off without telling anyone where she was going.

Obviously, nothing she did is his fault, but I can imagine that he might be thinking otherwise. :(

Well, for the first time ever, I have reached my "like" quota for the day.

From here on out, consider your positive thoughts and prayers to be "liked".

Ugh, just seeing this now. Your son and his gf are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she is found safely soon!!

You said police is involved?

Good. They will check if any credit cards have been activated. Too bad they cannot put out an Amber alert.

ETA: Just re-read that she is 16. Amber Alerts can be issued for children under 17. Has it been considered?

It is my understanding that Amber Alerts can only be issued if there is evidence that she has been abducted. What I've read so far doesn't support that.

I do not think an Amber Alert is being considered because this is not being treated as an abduction case. At this point, it is being treated as a runaway case.

I was thinking this might be the case.

Still praying for her safe return!  :grouphug:

Good update!

As of ten minutes ago (5:50 pm), she has been located and she is safe.

I don't know any details beyond that, but I just informed my son. He's trying to reach her right now.

Thank God!

Whew! That's great! Hopefully she can get some help from this incident that will avert future and possibly worse outcomes. I'm really praying this was her cry for help and the right perso was listening :(

:party: :party: :party:

I am so relieved to hear she is safe!

I have to admit that I have been more worried about your son than about the girl. :blush:

Maybe it's time to sit down with him and discuss how this sort of thing could happen again with her in the future, and to make sure he is emotionally prepared to deal with the possibility that she may not be mentally stable and that she might one day hurt herself. I hope that doesn't sound terribly mean, but your son's mental health is important, too, and this girl could end up emotionally manipulating him into feeling too guilty to leave her even if he decides he has had enough, because he might be constantly worried that she will kill herself if he walks away.

I do feel very sorry for the girl, but if my son was involved with a girl like that, I think I would be hoping he would find a way to ease himself out of the relationship.

So relieved over here!

I hope she is able to get whatever help she needs.

I think it is still a good idea for your son to get counseling. Being in a relationship with someone with mental health issues can be hard to navigate in a healthy way.

Thank you for the updates. I have been checking in and praying. Glad that she has been located. Relieved for your ds.

Good update!

I don't know any details beyond that, but I just informed my son. He's trying to reach her right now.

Praise the Lord!! 

Good update!

Praise God.  Very thankful she's been found safe.

We had this conversation back in December when she ended up hospitalized. I guess we will be having it again. We leave in the morning for a 3-week vacation, so we/he should have lots of time to mull over the recent events.

Sigh. Babies and toddlers were so much easier to parent.

This may end up being the perfect time for a vacation. Maybe he will meet a cute girl at the campground.... ;)

Karen, I am sorry that I somehow missed this thread for so long, but did want to say regarding your last update that I am so glad that she was found, and I hope that she is (or will be) okay.

We had this conversation back in December when she ended up hospitalized. I guess we will be having it again. We leave in the morning for a 3-week vacation, so we/he should have lots of time to mull over the recent events.

Hugs, strength and prayers. Parenting young adults is tough business.

I, too, found myself wondering if her disappearance might be in an effort to pay back or seek attention from your son for declining her visit. It's perhaps not a coincidence this happened just as you are preparing to take him with you for 3 weeks.

I will pray that your family has a wonderful, relaxing time that will be restorative for you all. Perhaps a no cell phone policy?

Prayers also for wisdom for her family and that they will give her the care and attention she needs. I understand you said her family situation is bad; I hope and pray that she can come to a place she feels safe, physically and emotionally, apart from relying on your son.

:hurray:

Good update!

What a tough situation. I'd want my son to run for the hills, 16 is so young, but how do you do that without further damaging her?? Hopefully her parents can get her into a facility to help her and give him some space to think.

Good update!

What a relief! You all must be so relieved.

Boy, isn't that the truth. :p