Menu

Spending money for summer program-cash vs debit card?

Dmmetler

DD10 is going to a summer program soon that says that parents should send money for souvenirs, etc (they've got at least one field trip to a museum or similar facility a day which have gift shops, plus it's on a college campus with a university book store). Would there be any benefit to sending a debit card vs cash?  Back when I was doing stuff like that, I used to take traveler's checks-which says how long ago it was!

I'll send both debit card and cash. Cash that is drop is irreplaceable. A debit card that is misplaced can be cancelled but the replacement would go to your home instead of to your daughter so she would be stuck without spending money if that happens.

Is there an adult you know at the summer program that you can trust with paying first if the need arise? I had a teacher that would pay for us first (within limits) as long as our parents let her know. That way we didn't need to bring much cash for an overseas field trip.

ETA:

I had a debit card since the early 80s. When I first came to the states on business, only hotels and money changers knew how to process my AMEX travelers cheques.

I'd send a little cash, for small things/snack machines or places that don't take debit cards, but I'd also send a debit card if she's comfortable using one. (I've been having my DD use one for a few years to buy crickets for her gecko, so I'd feel co,for table sending her off to a camp or something with one.)

Send both. A debit card can be a great way to start teaching kids how to manage money -- that is if they're not like my youngest son who throws his receipts wherever! You're little gal will probably be very responsible. :)

check with your bank. I was told that my daughter could not get a debit card until she was 15 (or maybe it was 14?) If we gave her the debit card to our second account (one we use for online payments or travel- it is not our main checking account, we just deposit money and use as needed) the card could be confiscated if anybody checked and saw it was not in her name.

When she travels without us for robotics tournaments, voleyball, or youth group events she just takes cash, but next time we will get a pre-paid credit card. Unless our bank rules changed and she can have an actual checking account with a debit card. :glare: