Menu

Moby Max

ammv15

Anyone care to give a review of this curriculum? Someone on this board suggested it.I had never heard of it.I did placement with my kids and they seem to like it but they are used to workbooks for Math.It has been an adjustment.I'm mostly curious if this can be used as a full curriculum or just a supplement.I have only tried the Math portion so far.Any reviews of the Math and LA would be helpful.Thanks.

We aren't using the math portion, so I can't really comment on that, but my kids have learned a lot of grammar and usage in the month they've been using the "Language" part of MobyMax, and they have been able to apply it outside of the software and discuss it intelligently.

One of my kids is also using the math fact drills there, which I'm finding more effective than what we were doing before because there's a time limit on each fact.

Anyway, since I'm just using MobyMax in a few limited areas, I'm not the right person to give a full review. I responded here mainly to give this tip: the default passing score in MobyMax is 70% -- I bumped it much higher, because I expect my kids to get every or nearly every question right before they move past a topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mobymax is really a review thing. It does not teach, just expects the kids already know the material. Because we don't follow a PS school scope and sequence it didn't fit us at all.

Huh. That hasn't been my experience with the "Language" section -- once the initial assessment is done, there are little mini lessons explaining each topic.

• Like 3

My younger DD6 used it for about the last 3rd of the school year because she had finished her other curriculum early and I didn't really feel the need to press on and buy more.  So we used Mobymax to fulfill her hours at her charter,  we did math, grammar,vocab and reading.  I liked the math and grammar their was an explanation followed by a demonstration and practice question than they did 5 - 10 more questions if they got enough right they moved on.  The only thing is if they don't understand you will have to come up with a different way to explain it because it just gives the same  explanation again.  The reading is reading comprehension they read stories and answer questions  pretty ho hum.  We didn't like the vocab because it would take so long for it to find a new word she didn't know sometime she would be on their 15 minutes before it had truly got to the lesson.  Overall I think you could for a elementary kid you could use it  and be ok-to good sort of like doing a line of spectrum workbooks.    

• Like 1

We are using it for summer review and to fill in gaps.  We especially need it in the math department.  I do love the math fact drills!  It does remind me some of Study Island in certain ways.  I don't know whether it could be used for an all encompassing curriculum.  I think it is more a tool to help kids.  If you watch the video, the guy talks about how much 1 on 1 tutoring at night helped his kids and that is the focus of Moby Max to be that 1:1 tutor like a parent at night helping with homework.  

I think it is a pretty good summer filler to keep up skills and maybe fill in any gaps your student may have.  We wouldn't use it as a full curriculum.  The standards are based off of common core.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...