Menu

After I've Successfully Launched My Kids, I'd Like To....

fairfarmhand

1, Travel- preferably out of us. just the two of us.

2. go back to school and get that accounting degree that I dropped out of when the dr. said congrats its twins!

3. paycheck with my name on it.

4 be able to read for fun....

Well... kids are both in college, and live with me still. Saves them a ton of money and I get household help and yard work..:-)

#2 is actually happening and should be done with that degree soon! only 5 more classes...

#3 i am getting a paycheck with my part time job... cant wait till its from my new job and hopefully larger..

#4 I am building in some reading time this summer since I decided not to work durning the summer.

Just need the travel.

But we are adding MIL to the family home sometime soon. May not travel much for a while..we shall see.

• Like 1

... steal a five year old and start over with a new homeschooler?  :001_unsure:

LOL, I love it!  That has usually been my first thought.  I'm mentally calculating... let's see, I'll be early 40's, so maaaaaybe I could fit in another pair of kids and start all over!  :D

• Like 2

I would love to:

live in a tiny home on wheels with dh

travel everywhere and anywhere I possibly can

work (for $!!! Imagine that!!) in some way that I really love with enough flexibility to hang with dh

just lounge in a library reading for an entire day with not a care in the world

learn to do all those things I've put off doing like knitting and cake decorating and riding a bike without killing myself 

Finally exercise with some regularity

• Like 1

I'm a family person. Our family is like one giant co-op, and my "area" (which I share with my mom) is kids.

I'm able to get a lot of my me-time goals, dreams, and needs in now because I have a large family and we all kind of pull together. I retired in 2014, in part to be more available to my nieces and nephews for tutoring and chauffeuring. That was possible, in part, because my siblings and their kids also have "areas" of contribution - e.g., lawn work, pool cleaning, car maintenance, meal prep, etc.  Pull together, win together.

I have a large age gap between mine, plus we breed lots and young, so I expect to be sidestepping into full-time grandmothering, or great-aunting at that point.  If necessary, I'll do elder care for my aunts, uncles, or parents. 

So when I launch my youngest, I'll just keep on truckin' with my responsibilities to my larger family - hopefully while still doing the things that are important to me: traveling, sports, and shopping!

• Like 2

The thought of grandchildren crossed my mind.  Like a jackrabbit crosses the road.  I don't have the strength to think about grandchildren right now.  If my kids follow in my footsteps, I will become a grandma in my 80s.  Ha!

I'm going to get one of those tiny homes,and find myself a somewhat secluded location to put it up.  I still want to be on the grid though so we'll see.

I would love to travel as much as possible.

Then again, by the time my youngest is launched my older 2 may be making me a grandmother, so maybe I will just be a fun gramma

We have one in the process of launching (just graduated and moves cross-country later this summer *pouts*). To celebrate, we bought a convertible :D

I would love to

• travel internationally once a year

• travel domestically, but not to visit family, once a year

• travel to visit family whenever we wish

• have a cabin in the mountains

I know I will

• increase my gardening space and time spent

• increase my volunteering time

• continue working with a personal trainer (I need the push in the gym!)

Dh can work remotely for periods of time, which is lovely.

Just filled out some paperwork for second-to-last child's university. When I got to the space asking for my occupation, I don't know what came over me, but instead of "homemaker," I entered "writer." So, I think I'm starting down your someday path, fairfarmhand!

I would like to be able to choose a vehicle with no constraints. I'm sure I wouldn't end up with something very expensive or fancy, but it would be a pleasure to not have my options narrowed by how many kids it can seat or the limits of the monthly budget or who I might need to share it with.

I also dream of not feeling so pinched in the grocery department. Sigh.

My home would be comfortable but as minimalist as I could get away with and still feel warm and welcoming. I would live in a fun place and have a big bunk room and swimming pool for grand kid visits. I'm guessing my kids will spread out and I might not be a daily fixture in the next generation's lives, but I will be one awesome vacation destination - Camp Gramma! My home will not necessarily be large, but have a design that integrates indoor with outdoor spaces. A dock is essential as is a small flotilla - sunfish, kayaks & canoes.

I would continue to actively volunteer for the organizations I currently serve. The thing I look forward to most is having reign over my own schedule. No classes to take the kids to, no orthodontist appointments, no sports practice, etc. I'm sure you all feel this one! Just wake up, ears and heart open to God's leading through each day, and walk through it.

I can't imagine coming into a ton of money (well, I can imagine it but can't feel with certainty that it will actually happen!), but if I ever do, I would enjoy giving it away. I am inspired by so many (people like Nadia and her NuDay organization, friends who are building a university for training medical professionals in Haiti, other friends who have established a hospital in a remote area). It would be a joy to be able to provide generous financial support for their endeavors. To help my kids pay for the cost of educating their kids in whatever manner they choose. To be able to surreptitiously drop a big bill into a street musician's instrument case, or stuff a church poor box. That would be great fun.

But today, I have to process laundry. Clean out the fridge. Conquer a math lesson and run kids to two appointments. But then, when dinner dishes are done and the house quiets, I will dust off my desk and decide if I'm going to plot a new story, or start the editing process on one that's been waiting for me to finally make the commitment to call myself a writer.

• Like 1