Menu

If you have ever wondered if a Viking River cruise is 'all that'....

Jen in NY

The answer is, most definitely, yes. Yes it is.

I am a total travel newbie - I've always been afraid to fly and definitely afraid to travel abroad. My parents basically made these reservations for all of us (Yes, my parents just took all 5 of us to Europe for a week. I can't adequately express my gratitude in words.) and said, "You are going!" or else I never would have had the nerve. Well, we just got back from the Rhine River Getaway. Absolutely everything is taken care of. Each day there's an included excursion with a fantastic local guide. (That's the only part I would change... I wanted so much more time at each place!). There are lots of optional excursions that cost extra... but we were so busy we didn't feel like we needed to do any of them. We spent our extra time wandering around in the streets of whatever town we were in and it was wonderful! Every meal is included (with beer and wine if you are so inclined), and each one is more delicious than the last. It was all so beautiful - I don't know why I waited this long! The staff was absolutely committed to our happiness. They went way above and beyond and took care of my gluten and dairy free husband so well.... a special gourmet meal and dessert just for him every. single. time. It was way over the top luxurious.

If you have any reservations about traveling abroad, this is an absolutely painless way to go. (Except for the pain in the wallet, of course.) But I am now ready to pack my backpack, buy a pair of walking sticks, and hit the trail. Any trail. As cheap and on the fly as possible. The travel bug is powerful - and I've been bitten!

post-433-0-52039000-1434384225_thumb.gif

post-433-0-52039000-1434384225_thumb.gif

• Like 32

I'm so glad to hear this! I have wondered about them before. My DH is not interested in European travel, but I have thought I may be able to convince him to do some of Europe by cruise. He can "flee" back to the ship if he feels too far from Americanism. ;)

• Like 4

Nice!  I heard that they're going to start a cruise on the Mississippi pretty soon.  It would be great to travel up or down the country that way.

Yup. Starting in 2017. Seriously, if I were an american kid looking to fill a gap year, I might apply to work for them. They must have awesome employee training because to a person, every crew member was congenial, helpful, pleasant, funny, and just a joy to be around. They were from all over Europe and the Philippines. I have heard that they will only hire Americans to staff the Mississippi boats - maybe so travelers will have an 'American' experience?

• Like 2

Every now and again I request one of their brochures, it's my version of the old Sear's Christmas "Wish Book."  One day I look forward to actually cruising with Viking, if the budget ever allows. So happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the first-hand report.

• Like 2

My MIL just got back from one, too. She finds them a nice stress-free break from a very stressful life.  I don't think I would take an ocean cruise, but the river cruise might tempt me at some point (especially if someone else was picking up the tab!).

• Like 1

Every now and again I request one of their brochures, it's my version of the old Sear's Christmas "Wish Book."  One day I look forward to actually cruising with Viking, if the budget ever allows. So happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the first-hand report.

Me too.. I have one that i flip through from time to time.  But, the price is really high.  I've never been interested in going on a cruise...but a Viking Cruise looks way better than those other ones.

BTW, there are small cruise companies that go on NA river ways. I have a friend who did it somewhere in New England.  I've thought I'd prefer that too.  I'd rather do Europe on my own actually.

• Like 2

Every now and again I request one of their brochures, it's my version of the old Sear's Christmas "Wish Book." One day I look forward to actually cruising with Viking, if the budget ever allows. So happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the first-hand report.

I do this, too! I also get brochures from those bike or hike place-to-place in Europe or NZ/Aus outfits :D

• Like 2

Me too.. I have one that i flip through from time to time. But, the price is really high. I've never been interested in going on a cruise...but a Viking Cruise looks way better than those other ones.

BTW, there are small cruise companies that go on NA river ways. I have a friend who did it somewhere in New England. I've thought I'd prefer that too. I'd rather do Europe on my own actually.

The Viking prices are really high. I have noticed, however, that they run buy-one-get-one free sales every so often---I think maybe when the itineraries are first announced.

• Like 1

The Viking prices are really high. I have noticed, however, that they run buy-one-get-one free sales every so often---I think maybe when the itineraries are first announced.

I think my parents booked our trip with a 2 for 1 deal. Still not cheap, but better than full price.