Menu

Anyone Joining Those of Us Teaching High School Next Year?

I've posted a few threads about my struggles with teaching high school to my sn son.  Still working away at it but thought I'd post a specific thread for high school to see how everyone is doing.  I'll start.

Background: My son just turned 18 in April.  Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, OCD, Aspergers as the top ones.  

He's still doing about 6th grade level in math but S.L.O.W.L.Y. moving forward using Rod & Staff right now (I'm looking into JUMP math).  He loves history so long as he doesn't have to read it.  I've given him some worksheets to fill out for it but he has a hard time.  It's been good for him though.  He loved his Trail Guide to World Geography co-op class this past year, but hated the mapping (loved the research).  Writing......not so much.  We're doing Essentials in Writing 9 right now and its going well.  He loves science but can't do it at a high school level yet, still more dialectic stage in comprehension.  We are still working through Apples and Pears spelling but its working well.  I'm considering Time4Learning for Economics and Government.  Haven't decided though.  I really need him to be more independent because right now I have to do everything with him still.  

So... plans, not sure.  I don't even know what grade to call him.  By years, he should have graduated.  By school years, he'll be a senior this fall.  By academics, middle school.  We'll keep moving forward!!!!  :)

Please share....

• Like 1

JUMP math is awful. I used it with DS when he was in the 7th grade and pitched it and apologized after 4 weeks of use. I was just thumbing through some JUMP math materials that I hope to donate and cannot fathom why anyone would recommend that curriculum. It seems to be written for educationally neglected, yet otherwise healthy children with no learning issues. I use techniques gleaned from Ronit Bird to help DS.

OP, maybe check out this website for resources.

Is your DS mindmapping, typing, or using audio books? It may be time to take an educational track that helps your DS be functional with daily living activities. You might also explore your state's voc/work rehab resources.

• Like 2

This will be our 2nd year with high school for my daughter with special needs.  My older son (20) homeschooled all the way through high school, and is now at university-- but this is a completely different experience with  my daughter!

She works at about a 6th grade level for most things--- but math has been, by far, the most difficult subject for her.  She is still trying to master passage of time and money skills.  She can do basic arithmetic, but I would really like to see her really start to understand time and money.

I found JUMP math used at a local bookstore, but it just never appealed to me so I sold it. 

Just saw that someone linked  http://www.wieser-ed.com/   I agree--- you might be able to find something there for your son.

• Like 2

My ds 16 will be in 10th grade this fall.  Still waiting for the written copy of his new NP eval so I can process it all in written form. He did have some gains in scores from three years ago and the psych did give me credit for whatever I was doing as far as  working with him. (Didn't expect that;) I will join in later when I have looked things over a bit more.

• Like 2

Let me revise my previous post. DD will be functioning more at a middle school level for writing and reading and science, closer to late elementary for math, and possibly high school level for geography for what would be her 9tb grade year.

For those with kids that struggle with time, passage of time, etc. I recommend reading My 13th Winter. It was written by a woman with severe dyscalculia. It is not a book that suggests solutions. It is a book that may help you better understand your child.

DD has never had much sense of the passage of time or of quantities. She knows the words. They have little internal meaning. I far more care about her ability to function day to day as an adult than I do about whether she ever makes it to Algebra II. She is bright. This is just an area she will probably always struggle in.

• Like 1

Me! I'll be teaching DD13 (14 in August). Ninth grade.

She isn't really working "behind" in anything other than writing. I would peg her at about a third grade writing level. We'll be working through CAP's Writing and Rhetoric series, starting at book 3. She needs serious work on narration skills and summarizing, if she's ever going to be able to take notes and write essays. Spelling is a struggle, too, and we'll pick back up Apples and Pears this upcoming year.

She'll be finishing Algebra I and diving into Algebra II.

For biology, she IS using a middle school Life Science text, but only because she needs the lower reading level. I specifically picked a life science that is known for being "rather meaty for middle school", and we'll add in lots of biology related literature (Oliver Sacks' books are on Audible!). She loves biology. I also have McHenry's "The Brain" to work through on the side.

She'll be working through Uncle Eric books for economics and politics/government (another passion of hers; neither of us could stomach the Notgrass Government book, though - way dry for us). 

She'll be working through a "high school prep" literature analysis book - Reading for Young Catholics 8: Thinking Skills. 

We'll use Caesar's English for vocabulary. I am considering dropping spelling in favor of it. Frankly, I'm sick of working on spelling with her. At this point I have no problem saying "okay, so she can't spell - big deal". Lol. I'm OVER spelling. 

I'm not sure if we'll continue with grammar. She actually enjoys grammar, but I'm kind of sick of it. I have Excavating English (Ellen McHenry) and I'd really like to go through that, but I'm afraid it would be overkill with Caesar's English (since that's a ton of word origin as well).

We'll continue to work saint literature into our Morning Meeting (she loves being read aloud to still, which I *love*). 

Working memory issues here are a biggie. While working at "at least" grade level IN math, she didn't memorize her tables until 7th grade (and still has to count some out). Her American geography skills are slightly embarrassing to me, so we'll work that into her memory work/recitation, lol. 

Study skills and note-taking will be running front for us for the next 4 years. She has aspirations that include college, so she needs to consider time management skills and study skills.

• Like 2

JUMP math is awful. I used it with DS when he was in the 7th grade and pitched it and apologized after 4 weeks of use. I was just thumbing through some JUMP math materials that I hope to donate and cannot fathom why anyone would recommend that curriculum. It seems to be written for educationally neglected, yet otherwise healthy children with no learning issues. I use techniques gleaned from Ronit Bird to help DS.

OP, maybe check out this website for resources.

Is your DS mindmapping, typing, or using audio books? It may be time to take an educational track that helps your DS be functional with daily living activities. You might also explore your state's voc/work rehab resources.

Thanks for the heads up on JUMP, maybe I should just skip.  What we are doing is working anyway albeit slowly.  

He does type, and loves audio books.  He's sort of like a Cliff from Cheers.....he can spout out facts and interesting tidbits and remembers everything he reads/hears, he just can't apply it.  He has no ability, it seems, to think critically or problem solve.  

We're keeping our minds open for everything with him.  I know he thinks he'd like to do CC and I'm great with that, but deep down, I'm very worried that he'll fail miserably because I know his limitations.  

• Like 2