Menu

Saxon Algebra 1 - 3rd or 4th edition?

Amithy

We've been using Saxon math since 4th grade and plan to stick with it. DD is ready move into Algebra 1, but I'm hearing mixed reviews about the 4th edition. At first, I was sold on the 4th edition. The Cathy Duffy Review makes a good case for it, including the addition of "Investigations" and graphing calculator labs. However, the makers of the DIVE CD's make a very good case for NOT using the 4th edition, including the dis-integration of geometry and the loss of Saxon methodology.

I would love to hear the thoughts and experiences of others. Thanks!

If you use the 4th edition, you will need a separate geometry course.  That is something to keep in mind.  Art Reed says the 4th editions are also academically weaker, but I am not enough of a math person to know why, and he doesn't elaborate.

We've been doing 3rd edition, but the geometry is very repetitive and just seems to be included as an afterthought (i.e., one question per lesson, and each question is pretty much identical). There is little substance to it. The algebra portion is great, though.

• Like 1

I strongly recommend the 3rd edition for Saxon Algebra 1 and Saxon Algebra 2. Both books are quite good.

The 4th edition Algebra books are a nightmare. Many of the questions are poorly worded; the answer keys are littered with errors; the material does not progress in a logical, straightforward manner.

We've been doing 3rd edition, but the geometry is very repetitive and just seems to be included as an afterthought (i.e., one question per lesson, and each question is pretty much identical). There is little substance to it. The algebra portion is great, though.

The Geometry material picks up in Algebra 2, 3rd ed., particularly at the end of the book. By the end of Algebra 2, I believe I read that your student will have had the equivalent of a full semester of Geometry.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure. First, we aren't using any DVD options because DD doesn't learn well from DVD explanations. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's definitely something in the human interaction, the back and forth between us, that helps her understand new concepts. 

We chose the 3rd edition primarily for the reasons I listed in my original question: the 4th edition was not written by Saxon, and it does not integrate geometry. One of the reasons we considered the 4th edition was for it's introduction to graphing calculators. We've decided that we'll supplement with graphing calculator activities from elsewhere. It is *not* hard to find online resources for teaching the use of graphing calculators. For both DH & I, separating geometry from the rest of math is out of sync with our philosophy of education. We'd both rather see geometry integrated.