Menu

Cleavage

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, cleavage is popular! I have a large chest...so anything I wear...except maybe a turtleneck (no thanks) shows a little something. I just feel that people should wear what they like. I don't find ladies who wear more revealing clothes any less respectable than those who cover up. I do think young ladies should be aware though, that they may get some unwanted attention.

:iagree: What she said.

My DH also is rather proud of my appearance and likes me looking attractive when we are out. As a Christian I could argue it is my way of honoring him ;)

As a woman among other women I think most of us enjoy being pretty and feel better about ourselves when we do. Am I wrong?

I do enjoy looking pretty and dressing nicely, but I don't enjoy having other men (or women) looking at my breasts. And dh likes taking me out to work functions and elsewhere but he doesn't want other men looking at my breasts, either. His feeling is that revealing cleavage makes a woman look cheap and he prefers a classy look.

I do not in any way think that one has to bare one's breasts in order to look pretty. In fact, I think it takes away from the rest of the package.

I think we probably just have a difference in terms of what parts of our body we consider private. I may think my rear is attractive, but I'd never wear short shorts that "emphasized" the cuteness of my "cheeks". There are some curves, that, IMO are private parts. Keeping those parts private doesn't - in any way - detract from someone's beauty; I think it adds to it.

I realise your question was not addressed to me, but I appreciate your attempt to understand a different point of view, so will try to answer.

I see the upper curves of my chest as an attractive part of me. I also emphasise my smile, my hands, my pudgy little feet. I quite like my body, and enjoy showing it off. Perhaps not today, with a red nose and snuffles, but in general.

Laura

Ah, and see the difference lies in what we consider private. If you see degrees of cleavage as the same as your smile or your feet then we see differently. I imagine there's probably a line you draw between attractive cleavage and too much cleavage - I just have my line up a little higher :)

My mom always said, "Pretty is is pretty does."

Now, my mom has been dead for decades and I can't sit down and get to what she really meant...but all this is really only skin deep.

I read a story about a woman who had her booK ripped off by a side view mirror in a car vs. pedestrian accident. I don't know what her recovery was like mentally but I would imagine it would be worse if she viewed her booKs as something to emphasize and something her dh (if she had one) was proud of. I'd imagine it might be a bit easier if she felt that it was her personality or soul or life force or what ever you want to call it was her most attractive asset.

I don't know if I'm making my point well enough. Maybe I'm naive to think it is what on this inside that counts.

Ah, and see the difference lies in what we consider private. If you see degrees of cleavage as the same as your smile or your feet then we see differently. I imagine there's probably a line you draw between attractive cleavage and too much cleavage - I just have my line up a little higher :)

Certainly, the line is different for everyone. There are some who would find the view of ankles distasteful and a sign of loose morals. So does this mean none of us can wear clothing that shows our ankles because some would find it unnattractive? Maybe you are simply making a statement about the type of fashions you personally prefer to wear? If so, how does this fit in among the "I am so sick of seeing other women's clevage" posts? To which I can only throw my hands in the air and state that it is simply impossible to please everybody ;)

I guess I am still confused about the intent of this thread...

I got to the end and forgot the question.;)

What bothers me more than cleavage is women who wear bras that are too small and their booKs pop out of the top. :lol:

I am a AA, less than an A. It's like an A that got demoted so it's not a huge issue for me. The only cleavage that I show is when I wear the tank tops with the built-in bras. But, again, I have very little booKs so I have very little cleavage. Think 12 year old boy.:D

I got to the end and forgot the question.;)

What bothers me more than cleavage is women who wear bras that are too small and their booKs pop out of the top. :lol:

I am a AA, less than an A. It's like an A that got demoted so it's not a huge issue for me. The only cleavage that I show is when I wear the tank tops with the built-in bras. But, again, I have very little booKs so I have very little cleavage. Think 12 year old boy.:D

Same here!

My booKshelves have booKends!

My mom always said, "Pretty is is pretty does."

Now, my mom has been dead for decades and I can't sit down and get to what she really meant...but all this is really only skin deep.

I read a story about a woman who had her booK ripped off by a side view mirror in a car vs. pedestrian accident. I don't know what her recovery was like mentally but I would imagine it would be worse if she viewed her booKs as something to emphasize and something her dh (if she had one) was proud of. I'd imagine it might be a bit easier if she felt that it was her personality or soul or life force or what ever you want to call it was her most attractive asset.

I don't know if I'm making my point well enough. Maybe I'm naive to think it is what on this inside that counts.

No it is not like that. I know full well that one day I am going to get old, and gray and wrinkled, and I will wear my wrinkles and my gray hair as a crown of glory. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy being young and pretty while I can. ;)

Assigning a motive like this is exactly the sort of thing that strikes people as judgmental.

And motive is what intrigues me. It's like when people get neat tattoos and then purposefully wear clothing that leaves that skin bare so that people can see it. They know they have a tattoo. They think it's beautiful. And they want other people to look at it. Pretty clear.

Is it not the same with cleavage? I know I have great breasts so I purposefully buy shirts that leave my cleavage bare so that other people can look at them. (Not that *I* do that, but just as an example :)

If you didn't want other men looking at your breasts then wouldn't you wear a shirt that prevented them from looking?

I think I'm getting the idea that for some women there is a mental differece between the cleavage they show and their breasts. It seems like different people have different comfort levels in terms of how much cleavage crosses the line.

Assigning a motive like this is exactly the sort of thing that strikes people as judgmental.

Well, yes, I do judge what I see and hear. I have heard on this thread that showing cleavage makes a woman feel pretty. How? Who is it that likes the breasts/cleavage? The woman herself? Other women? Other men? Who told women that showing cleavage is an attractive thing? A woman's mother? A woman's best friend? Or a man?

If you can correct me in this, I'm ready to listen.

I would agree with this.

However, it's impossible to discuss without making judgments. We all have different comfort levels.

Does anyone here believe I show the *entire* side of my breast like the pictures of Jessica Simpson or Pamela Anderson just because I said I show some cleavage sometimes? I think most people here would agree that's a little over the top.

Here are some pictures of a typical amount of cleavage for me:

http://scrapbookingforhire.com/jen_greg_Bbq.jpg

http://scrapbookingforhire.com/jen_lush2.jpg

this is a little less typical since it's a ball but still

http://scrapbookingforhire.com/jenandgreg7thgball_06.jpg

I can't really see the other pics that clearly, but your first one doesn't really show that much cleavage at all, really.

While I really have no desire to see any amount of anyone else's breasts, I think the OP probably posted because of the extremes we're seeing now. Even in church people are wearing shirts that show off an extraordinary amount of cleavage. I don't need to see it to begin with, but when there is *that much* of it out there in full view, I dunno, sorry but it's just too much.

And the push-up bras paired with the cleavage shirts - it's like she's serving her breasts on a platter for everyone, "Here they are!"

So on one extreme we have adult women who are baring a lot more than just a little cleavage and on the other extreme we have the young teens who are showing off everything they just developed. Add in the people who wear cleavage shirts to their workplace - especially if they have to bend over ever... That's where the frustration stems from, I think.

And the whole ankle thing - you're right. These are cultural norms. Perhaps we'll soon be in a culture where women walk around without shirts at all and my great great grand children will laugh about how ridiculous I look in photographs :)

But I still don't want to see your breasts ;)

If you didn't want other men looking at your breasts then wouldn't you wear a shirt that prevented them from looking?

Speaking for myself, *I* would pretty much have to wear *only* polo shirts, t-shirts or turtlenecks to prevent *any* cleavage from showing. I like to wear shirts that are pretty and femimine. Whether or not men look at my breasts is not an issue for me. I don't seek out attention in my dress or demeanor (you'll note that none of those pictures include a miniskirt or cropped shirt or anything). I keep that flirting light that some people have firmly off. If a top I like and feel pretty in shows a little cleavage, I don't worry about it. I neither want nor *don't* want men looking, I'm ambivalent about it. I can't control what men think or do. Dr. Watson loved the sight of a prettily turned ankle. Should we keep those covered too?

I think I'm getting the idea that for some women there is a mental differece between the cleavage they show and their breasts. It seems like different people have different comfort levels in terms of how much cleavage crosses the line.

I think that's it, exactly. Different people have different levels of comfort in what they wear.

Well, yes, I do judge what I see and hear. I have heard on this thread that showing cleavage makes a woman feel pretty. How? Who is it that likes the breasts/cleavage? The woman herself? Other women? Other men? Who told women that showing cleavage is an attractive thing? A woman's mother? A woman's best friend? Or a man?

I sort of addressed this in my other post but *I* don't feel feminine or pretty in t-shirts or turtlenecks. I'm very short, a longer neckline is preferable because it makes one look less stubby. It looks better, overall. The cleavage isn't the purpose, just a result.

The clevage is incidental. The fashions that are flattering to me do tend to show clevage, but that isn't my main concern. First of all I look for a neckline which complements my round face and does not make me look fat. These tend to be the v-neck or lower cut styles. I look huge in t-shirts. Also, summer is hot, so for the past few months there has also been a comfort factor. My main intent is never to have another person - male or female - looking at my breasts. However, I see no responsibility for going out of my way to conceal them when it is quite obvious they are there and any determined male will imagine them anyways.

I can't really see the other pics that clearly, but your first one doesn't really show that much cleavage at all, really.

Yes, the first one is pretty conservative (though I'd still be yanking up that top!). The second one is a cute shirt, but I'd throw a camisole under it. The last one looked like it showed a good few inches of cleavage - I'd be embarrassed to show that much of my breasts - especially at one of dh's work functions.

It doesn't show much cleavage at all, you're right and that's the extent of what I show for the most part. But it's there because I'm short and large chested for my size.

Yes, the first one is pretty conservative (though I'd still be yanking up that top!). The second one is a cute shirt, but I'd throw a camisole under it. The last one looked like it showed a good few inches of cleavage - I'd be embarrassed to show that much of my breasts - especially at one of dh's work functions.

Well and that's you. I was perfectly comfortable and my husband wasn't embarrassed, either.

Of course, at one ball we attended there was a young woman with dark skin wearing a white dress that contained *no* lining and she wasn't wearing any underwear at all. Talk about leaving nothing to the imagination...

I would agree with this.

However, it's impossible to discuss without making judgments. We all have different comfort levels.

Does anyone here believe I show the *entire* side of my breast like the pictures of Jessica Simpson or Pamela Anderson just because I said I show some cleavage sometimes? I think most people here would agree that's a little over the top.

Here are some pictures of a typical amount of cleavage for me:

http://scrapbookingforhire.com/jen_greg_Bbq.jpg

http://scrapbookingforhire.com/jen_lush2.jpg

this is a little less typical since it's a ball but still

http://scrapbookingforhire.com/jenandgreg7thgball_06.jpg

You are beautiful!

Of course, at one ball we attended there was a young woman with dark skin wearing a white dress that contained *no* lining and she wasn't wearing any underwear at all. Talk about leaving nothing to the imagination...

Where's the "RUN AWAY!!!" smiley when I need one?

Aaaaaahhhh!!! (running away)

I saw the picture of you at the ball with your dh---you look fabulous! Stunning, really, and that black dress is cut just for you. You're a very pretty lady, and your dress doesn't seem too low-cut--certainly not for the occasion.

Having said that, my kids know I'm a T-shirt and jeans kind of gal; I wear "Mom jeans"---their expression! :tongue_smilie:

Even though it does not sound very nice to say it (and I do mean it in the best possible way, so please try not to take offense), I do think that body type has a lot to do with whether or not clothing is appropriate.

I have to agree with this. It's not just the cleavage, either.

Those low-cut pants with the "belly shirts" a couple of years ago... They looked nice on people with the right figure. But really, I did not need to see every ounce of someone's flab rolls hanging out between the hip huggers and belly shirts. Yuck!

What were they thinking?!?! Hello?? Not sexy!!

A little cleavage can be sexy, while a lot hanging out of the top is not.

But, no I would not want to have the fashion police, so I put up with it.

I saw the picture of you at the ball with your dh---you look fabulous! Stunning, really, and that black dress is cut just for you. You're a very pretty lady, and your dress doesn't seem too low-cut--certainly not for the occasion.

Having said that, my kids know I'm a T-shirt and jeans kind of gal; I wear "Mom jeans"---their expression! :tongue_smilie:

Again, thanks Jenny and Michelle, you all are far too kind, I'm sure. :blushing::001_wub:

Cindy, I'm waiting around to see some cleavage pics from you. ;) :D

And if you wore a camisole under a cleavage shirt would it ruin the whole purpose of wearing a low neckline (seriously asking here)?

That first picture, how would earing a camisole have helped? They don't come up that high. I wear tank tops a *LOT* under shirts with low necklines. At times, I note that I'm wearing the *same* Old Navy shirt as a woman with no booKs, I'm wearing mine *with* a tank top underneath and am *still* showing more cleavage. If you haven't had to deal with big booKs (and mine aren't really that big, just big for my frame) then I don't think you understand.

I didn't see where the judgemental part came in...besides people saying they had no interest in seeing people's cleavage.

I left for the day and came back to many more pages of the same "thing".

The OP not only didn't want to see *cleavage*, she didn't want to see fat, old cleavage.

A discussion regarding modesty, "stumbling", and to what degree we should/shouldn't dress to draw attention to certain body features is one topic; probably heated.

But for a thread to go for pages defending an insult against old, fat women saddens me.

And, yes, when I wear shirts here that have cleavage, it IS to accent and draw attention to one of my best body features. Not only do I feel fine about it, I'm glad I feel that way about myself.

And, yes, when I wear shirts here that have cleavage, it IS to accent and draw attention to one of my best body features. Not only do I feel fine about it, I'm glad I feel that way about myself.

And I think that's a fine way to feel. Nothing wrong with it, imo. Not that you need my affirmation being your own woman in every sense of the word. :001_wub: I do agree that some of the posts do come across as quite judgmental. The fat, old remark that both you and Katia took exception to was particularly so.

FWIW, a rule regarding "modest dress" and "CLEAVAGE IS NOT MODEST!!!!" made me decide not to participate in one hsing group. When people asked me about it and I told them the reason they said "but you dress conservatively!" You don't always know who you are alienating with those sorts of comments.

I left for the day and came back to many more pages of the same "thing".

The OP not only didn't want to see *cleavage*, she didn't want to see fat, old cleavage.

A discussion regarding modesty, "stumbling", and to what degree we should/shouldn't dress to draw attention to certain body features is one topic; probably heated.

But for a thread to go for pages defending an insult against old, fat women saddens me.

I strongly disagree with the op's wording, and questioned her point in starting this thread several times. It does not appear she has returned to the discussion. While some posts were IMO judgemental, I think others were truly trying to discuss "modesty, "stumbling", and to what degree we should/shouldn't dress to draw attention to certain body features".

:grouphug:

I have asked the moderators if they will remove this thread. This was intended to be a mild-mannered post and I expected people to either agree with me or tell me to become more modern in my acceptance of current fashion.

Instead, there are several vitriolic posts on the thread and I dare not reply to them as it would just fan the flames.

This cannot be good for board harmony, IMO, and if the moderators agree, I hope they remove the thread.

I am posting this message so that if the thread is removed, you all will know why.

RC