Menu

Help. A really stupid wedding anniversary question

dancer67

My husband and I got into a discussion about this. I am pretty sure I screwed up as to how many years we have been married.

If you were married in June of 1988, how many years would you be married this year? 26 or 27?

I saw on my Timehop. that back in 2013 I put I was married 25 years. I think I messed that up.

I would count from our one year anniversary, which would be in June of 1989?

See, told you it was stupid. :confused1:

Well, my husband still says 26. This is how he figures it.

We were married in 1988.

Our first year anniversary was in 1989.

So HE says you count from 1989 as that was the first year we were married.(He says we were not married a full year the day we were married)

2015-1989= 26 year anniversary.

UGH......................

Well, my husband still says 26. This is how he figures it.

We were married in 1988.

Our first year anniversary was in 1989.

So HE says you count from 1989 as that was the first year we were married.(He says we were not married a full year the day we were married)

2015-1989= 26 year anniversary.

UGH......................

Nope. According to your husband's way of figuring it, if you started counting at 1989 then on your anniversary in 1990, you would have been married one year, or maybe he is calling 1990 your first anniversary. But that's not right because if you married in 1988 then in 1990, you have been married two years. It's your second anniversary. Yes, you start counting from the day you were married, but that is sort of "day zero", the same as the day you were born.

• Like 4

Well, he's right that you aren't married a full year the day you are married.  You also aren't a year old the day you are born.  Other than that he is just plain wrong.

1988 - 0 years - got married

1989 - 1 year

1990 - 2 years

1991 - 3 years

1992 - 4 years

1993 - 5 years

1994 - 6 years

1995 - 7 years

1996 - 8 years

1997 - 9 years

1998 - 10 years

1999 - 11 years

2000 - 12 years

2001 - 13 years

2002 - 14 years

2003 - 15 years

2004 - 16 years

2005 - 17 years

2006 - 18 years

2007 - 19 years

2008 - 20 years

2009 - 21 years

2010 - 22 years

2011 - 23 years

2012 - 24 years

2013 - 25 years

2014 - 26 years

2015 - 27 years

• Like 17

I think that is where he is confused. The whole 26 anniversaries of our wedding, but we have been married 27.

So he thinks that if someone wishes you a Happy Anniversary, it is 26 anniversaries. Therefore, 26 years LOL.....

OMG, you guys must think we are nuts.................. :lol:

THANK YOU for clearing this up. Geesh, at least now I know what to write on the darn card. :laugh:

• Like 5

I think that is where he is confused. The whole 26 anniversaries of our wedding, but we have been married 27.

So he thinks that if someone wishes you a Happy Anniversary, it is 26 anniversaries. Therefore, 26 years LOL.....

OMG, you guys must think we are nuts.................. :lol:

THANK YOU for clearing this up. Geesh, at least now I know what to write on the darn card. :laugh:

No, if you have been married 27 years then you have celebrated your wedding and 27 anniversaries, not 26. See Butter's chart above. Just think of your wedding day (or the day you were born..it's counted the same way) as day zero.
  • Like 5

I think the answer is you've been married long enough that you can't remember how long it is. :) 

We got married in 2000, I can't tell you how many men told my husband he was so lucky because it would always be easy to remember how long he had been married. I was like "Seriously, that's an issue". And now even though it is really easy, I still find we both get it wrong sometimes. 

• Like 7

I totally don't understand how there's any confusion about this. 

Is the OP's husband also confused about how old he is? 

ETA: I had forgotten about the custom in some Asian countries where a person is considered "one" on their birthdate. Maybe the OP's dh has something like that in mind.

ETA, again: No, that explanation doesn't make sense, because if that were the case, the OP's dh would be saying they're celebrating 28 years this year, not 26 as he's claiming Sigh .....

• Like 12

In China, you are considered 1 year old the day you are born.

The first anniversary is celebrating the completion of one year of marriage. It is the anniversary of the date of the marriage. So in 1989, you celebrated the 1st anniversary of the wedding.

Definition of annivesary:

the date on which a couple was married in a previous year.

So in 1989 you celebrated for the first time, the date on which you had been married in 1988. Since you celebrated it for the first time, it was your first anniversary.

He's getting confused by the ordinal number ''first'', because there isn't one for zero. ''Ordinal'' has the same root as ''order'', and there isn't a zero-th place in order--as in, something that comes before the first thing--because then that thing would itself be the first thing, contradicting the premise that it comes before the first thing. 

• Like 2

It's your 27th anniversary. You will complete 27 years together and begin your 28th year of marriage. The chart needs to be printed and put on your fridge. It's ok to do the I Told You So dance. This is also the correct time to use the phrase BOOYAH!!!! Save the BOOYAH to punctuate the exact moment when he finally gets it. If you have a small child get them to subtract 1988 from 2015 for him.

Disclaimer: This advice may result in a sub par anniversary gift.

• Like 4

I teach math. This discussion and some of the logic mention disturbs me almost as much as cashiers who are confused by change. It's basic math. If dh can't do the math use butter's chart.

Why is your dh subtracting a year? Is he thinking about the Super Bowl. We've had 49 Super Bowls, but the first Super Bowl is counted so the age of the Super Bowl is one less than the number of Super Bowls. Birthdays and anniversarys don't confuse me, but my birthday used to be close to the Super Bowl--as a child my birthday was Super Bowl Sunday at least twice, probably three times. People used to say I was as old as the Super Bowl. I'm not, the Super Bowl is a year younger. I had my first birthday when the first Super a Bowl occurred. So, while there habeen 49 Super Bowls, the event has only been around 48 years.

Would dh understand better if he looked at your wedding date as the premier event, even though it's not called an anniversary.

How does he explain the year between 1988 and 1989.

• Like 2

When I was a class officer in high school, I had to sell tickets for some event. The staff member who was handing out the tickets to us was going by the serial numbers printed on the tickets, which started with some not-round number; let's say it was 768. He was supposed to be giving us each 10 tickets, so he gave the first person 768 through 778, then next person would get 779 through 789, then 790 through 800, etc. He looked at the starting number for each group, and added 10 to it.

I pointed out that he was actually giving everyone 11 tickets, not 10. He said no, do the math. Everyone looked at me like I was an idiot. Eventually, I got everyone to count their tickets and they agreed that they had 11. He argued with us. I finally got him to understand when I took it back down to two tickets: start with ticket number 768 and give me two tickets. What's my upper number? 769. What's 769 - 768? One. So if he wanted to give us 10 tickets, he needed to add nine to the starting number in the group. 

• Like 2

I thought all the responses were so funny. I am laughing over here. I know. I said it was a stupid question, LOL...............

Maybe we have been married to long to even remember.........

So yes, it is 27 years. Today. He gets it. Now.

Good thing he didn't have anything inscribed :lol:  :lol:

Thank you all!!!

• Like 6

Just curious: Did you do anything special to celebrate your 25th anniversary? Two years ago, or last year?  :laugh:

YES!!! LOL........we took a vacation.(2 years ago)

But then again, when we were discussing all this yesterday, I really thought *I* was the one who screwed up the years.

Oh Mylanta..............He gets it now. Of all things to get confused over. And yea, I better not get a sub-par anniversary present. :laugh:

• Like 2

I think the answer is you've been married long enough that you can't remember how long it is. :)

We got married in 2000, I can't tell you how many men told my husband he was so lucky because it would always be easy to remember how long he had been married. I was like "Seriously, that's an issue". And now even though it is really easy, I still find we both get it wrong sometimes.

You know, you just changed my life. I've reached the point where I stutter when someone asks how long I have been married; it somehow never occurred to me that I could just subtract 1 from the current year since we got married in 2001. Life will be so much easier from now on :D

• Like 2

So glad you got it sorted out! I hope your head isn't too bruised from face-palming or banging it on a wall!

This thread reminds me of 1st grade when I was trying to explain to a whole group of my classmates how I could be older than them. "But January/February/March/etc. comes BEFORE November!" they kept protesting. They could not wrap their minds around that fact that I was born in the previous year and thus older. I felt like I was going insane trying to explain it! They all thought I was insane.

• Like 1

You know, you just changed my life. I've reached the point where I stutter when someone asks how long I have been married; it somehow never occurred to me that I could just subtract 1 from the current year since we got married in 2001. Life will be so much easier from now on :D

I have a kid who was born in 2000. This method is only useful for half the year because he wasn't born in January :-)

• Like 2

I have a kid who was born in 2000. This method is only useful for half the year because he wasn't born in January :-)

My 2000 kid was born mid-February and loves that she can use the year to easily know how old she is.  She was 4 when her cousin pointed it out to her and it made her so excited.