Menu

How much do you pay for 2x/week martial art classes?

We pay $55 for three kids for a month at roughly 2x/wk (one hour each time). I think it is $35 for one kid and $10/month more per kid. There is a maximum per family amount, but we haven't gotten to it yet. In reality, it isn't always twice per week. It ends up about six times per month. Oh, and this is for karate in the middle of the US, small town. 

ETA:  no belt/graduation/testing fees but you move up belts pretty slowly - like 1/year or less often

Ours is $40 a month for 1 class a week for the first person in the family and then $25 a month for each additional person. So a total of $165 a month for our family of 6 for 1, 1 hour class a week. I need to find out if there's any discounts for adding a class or maybe a max family price as we'd love to add a second class (1.5 hour class). I don't think we can afford to double what we pay now.

3 kids plus me, 2x a week=32 classes a month.  We pay $350, so it evens out to about $11/class/person.  We are outside DC, high COL.  Graduation/belt fees are $50 per person, a new belt about every 2 months so far.

For $450 a month, we can all go 3x a week (which would be 48 classes per month) and the graduation fees are included in that option.  It's a better deal but I just can't mentally commit to 3x a week.

I could probably find cheaper but this place is right next to a big grocery store, and the plaza is all right turns from my house, about a mile away.  The convenience is nice.

• Like 1

At our school, if you pay for 2 students, you get the whole family.  Back when we didn't have two kids training to be instructors, we paid $200 a month for unlimited regular classes (generally people take 2 a week, about 50 minutes/class) for the 6 of us.

$85 a month. Twice a week/1 hour per class. Middle COL location--east coast, an hour's drive from a big city. That's for the homeschool class. I think the regular evening class is more. When there is more than one student, there is a family discount.

Here there is a wide variety.  If you go to a club in its own building, it costs something like $150 a month for a membership which would be two classes and access to fitness equipment at other times.  But there are some groups that are run more as non-profits, usually out of community centers, and they are about $20 a month per child.  They have very good teachers but tend not to be very interest in competition.

My ds does Shaolin Kempo Karate, and he pays $160 for 3 months, so about $53 a month. This is the teen/adult rate, little kids are a bit cheaper. This covers an unlimited number of 90 min. classes (up to 5 per week). Belt tests are extra ($50) but only happen every 18 months or so.

His teacher is excellent and regularly goes beyond the scheduled time. We are on the edge of a metropolitan area, so I am very pleased with the value.

Ours is free, but you pay $10/belt up until they get to dan bo (red/black) and black. Then the testing is pricey, but we still only pay testing and associated fees. Our program is run by volunteers (exceptionally well qualified!) and is hosted by a local church. There are probably 70 or so students in our group, and another 30 in a second class at another church. It's an amazing deal. I highly recommend seeing if there are any churches locally that offer similar programs.

$100/ month for up to three TKD classes/ week.   Testing is monthly and can be $40 for a belt or $10 for a stripe, until you get to brown belt.  At brown belt there is an additional required "forms" class 3X/ month, testing is every other month and costs $60-$90 depending on belt or stripe.  

A uniform is $20

There are workshops available randomly throughout the year on specific weapons, more exotic forms (fans.) and instructor training.  Most of these cost $25 for a 4 hour workshop or $40 for a 6 hour workshop that includes lunch.  The cost of the workshop usually includes the patch for your uniform and/ or the special equipment (swords, nunchucks, knives, fans, sai, kama, sticks, staff.)

A complete set of sparring pads is required @ orange belt and costs, with bag, $150.

Participation in some tournaments is required for your black belt.  Local tournaments can range from $35-$75 depending on how many events your child is competing in and how large the tournament is.  Our studio, which is a family owned "chain" of four local studios has a Friends & Family tournament each year.  There are about 100 kids competing in 5 different events.  There is a regional tournament nearby that has between 800-1000 kids competing.

We live in a very high COL area and a biggish city (1 million)  

I listed all the extras because sometimes the monthly fee doesn't  include  things  like  sparring pads that you don't even think about when you start.

Amber in SJ

$90 a month for unlimited classes for my DS. Family fees are capped at $200 a month. We also have a punch card option which we're using for the summer as he's busy with other activities and not going so often. $120 for 10 classes which seems like a pretty good deal.

My boys stopped TKD in favor of another activity, but as of this past December it cost $7 a class (teaching and skills, 45 minutes each, both on Wednesday) per boy per week.  If you paid a whole semester (3 per year, 16 weeks each) in advance it cost only $6. So, prepaid was about $100 a month for both boys in both classes. Testing fees each semester were $20.  Clothing and gear extra.  Our church location was one of 3 in the DFW area.