Menu

If I never read ____ again, it will be too soon. But I NEVER tire of reading.....

mathmarm

If I never read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom ABC again, it will be too soon. The resident  toddler decided more than a month ago that he loves this riveting tale of lower case Alphabet babies climbing up a tree and the suspense of whether or not there will be enough room.

Please share your "I can't wait 'til I never have to read this again."

Also if you have one, please share a book that you never tire of reading.

• Like 2

Lol. I love reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to my kids. The book that I don't like is the one with the nut brown hare, always trying to one-up the baby hare. I could read Thunder Cake or Strega Nona to my kids five times a day, every day, and still love them. :)

• Like 2

Oh, Strega Nona is a fun one. I will check out Thunder Cake.

Lol. I love reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to my kids. The book that I don't like is the one with the nut brown hare, always trying to one-up the baby hare. I could read Thunder Cake or Strega Nona to my kids five times a day, every day, and still love them. :)

My son wants Chicka Chicka Boom Boom 5 times times before breakfast, twice during his meal and every 54 seconds between morning snack and lunch.

He needs to hear this story 7 times to help him get down for a nap and if he can't have it within 10 minutes of waking up from his nap then he's the saddest toddler in the world. He also wants me to quickly read it to him several times after Daddy calls to say that he's on his way home because once daddy gets home they absolutely must read the book another 15 times. Then of course you know he needs Chick Chicka for his bedtime reading...

Ugh! I will be soooo glad when this CCBB phase is over.

• Like 1

If I never read The Very Hungry Caterpillar again I won't complain. I am happy to read any of the following over and over

- Lost and Found

- Chugga Chugga Choo Choo

- My First Book of Sushi

- Yum Yum Dim Sum

- Bear Snores On

- Tabby McTat

- The Giant Jam Sandwich

- Elephant and Piggy books

Luckily the second list is longer! Probably because I've gotten rid of all the picture books l don't like to read aloud...

• Like 1

Puppies Are Like That.

It was my baby brother's favorite. I kept it with the children's books (I've always been a book hoarder, I guess), but when my kids were little and found it, I had a serious flashback and was like, I cannot ever read this book again. I read it too many times! I still know parts of it by heart and it's been thirty years. I had to hide it (I'll give it to him when he and his wife are expecting, probably... and then they can read it too many times if they want to!).

I'm lucky that my kids didn't make me read and reread over and over. I did get a little tired of William and the Night Train though.

I've had several books go "missing" when I can't stand it any more. Currently Tullet's "Press Here" is about to disappear, as clever as it is. My 2 yo is also surprisingly obsessed with Tad Hill's Duck and Goose series, but I haven't reached the aaaarrrgh stage with those, yet.

Books I don't think I'll ever get tired of:

- Ferdinand

-Steam Train, Dream Train

- and, of course, Good Night Moon

I love "But Not The Hippopottamus"

I hated The Giving Tree so much that I never read it to DD. 

Never tired of "I Love You As Much" or "Grandpa Bear's Fantastic Scarf" which are both beautiful. 

Got pretty tired of retelling the story of a Puzzle Kids video that we saw when DD was 2, featuring a lost and dramatically rescued cat.  She begged for this story every night for so long that I started making up variations.  Then she started requesting the variations, "Can you tell me the story of the little boy who was looking for his cat, but WE would help him"?  That was a long year, on many levels, LOL.

Can't stand Nut Brown Hare. I love Goodnight, goodnight, construction site and Steam train, Dream train.

What's the name of the creepy book where the son (a man) is rocking the mom (an old lady) in the end. I only read that one once and thought it was odd and never read it again. We like the hungry caterpillar, brown bear and goodnight moon. I tried to read beatrix potter but my boys weren't very interested :( Actually if it's up to them any book about monster trucks or dinosaurs would win out. 

Also never liked nut brown hare - I never understood why that one was so popular.

What's the name of the creepy book where the son (a man) is rocking the mom (an old lady) in the end. I only read that one once and thought it was odd and never read it again. We like the hungry caterpillar, brown bear and goodnight moon. I tried to read beatrix potter but my boys weren't very interested :( Actually if it's up to them any book about monster trucks or dinosaurs would win out. 

*shudder* Love You Forever and apparently its a popular "divider" book. I am firmly in the "This is creepy and borderline inappropriate" camp.

Most books that I couldn't stand, I unceremoniously donated away back when the girls were small, but then there was... Priscilla and the Pink Planet.

Cool illustrations, awful text. WAY TOO LONG. I actually used to just skip every other set of couplets and the book still made complete sense. The girls really liked it, so I couldn't sneak it away.

• Like 1

I've had several books go "missing" when I can't stand it any more. Currently Tullet's "Press Here" is about to disappear, as clever as it is. My 2 yo is also surprisingly obsessed with Tad Hill's Duck and Goose series, but I haven't reached the aaaarrrgh stage with those, yet.

Books I don't think I'll ever get tired of:

- Ferdinand

-Steam Train, Dream Train

- and, of course, Good Night Moon

My daughter has caught onto the "missing" thing.  When it is a library book it goes to my trunk so that I can return it next time.  I read the Eloise book (first one) and I thought she was a little heathen.  Afterward DD said, "Don't put that in the trunk"

• Like 2

DS6 is obsessed with Strega Nona and (same "series") Big Anthony and the Magic Ring. They might have ended up at the bottom of a very large pile of books ;)

So now he has a new obsession - How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World. I'm already sick of it, but I can't say "no" to it. Today another book by the same author came in the mail, though, so hopefully we can move on to that, lol.

DS-almost-3 loves Click Clack Moo, but I'm okay with that right now, because he doesn't mind mixing it up a bit. He also loves Giraffes Can't Dance :)

• Like 1

After 537 readings of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom ABC, Jr has moved on! It's a summer miracle!

He was upset today and declined to hear the Chicka Chicka book because he was more interested in being mad so I told him we would have to take it back to the library and he let me!

We checked out a new set of books, including a bunch of Doreen Cronin (Giggle, Giggle Quack and Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type, etc)

DS6 is obsessed with Strega Nona and (same "series") Big Anthony and the Magic Ring. They might have ended up at the bottom of a very large pile of books ;)

So now he has a new obsession - How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World. I'm already sick of it, but I can't say "no" to it. Today another book by the same author came in the mail, though, so hopefully we can move on to that, lol.

DS-almost-3 loves Click Clack Moo, but I'm okay with that right now, because he doesn't mind mixing it up a bit. He also loves Giraffes Can't Dance :)

There are a great many books in the Strega Nona series.  I would guess your library has many of them.  The author wrote a few hundred books.  He has his own shelf at the local branch library.  The author of Click Clack Moo wrote a few other similar books.  

I mention this not to expand your torture, but that many new books would less painful to you and as enchanting to your son.  My favorite of the Strega is the "... meets her match"  one.  

Dislike: Goodnight Gorilla. I LOVE that book, but my almost-2-year-old is fanatical about it. I have to point out EVERY THING on EVERY PAGE and it becomes exhausting. 

The kids will bring home tie-in books (Ninjago, I'm looking at you) from the library. Those go back very quickly. 

I could read good picture books forever: Roxaboxen, Boxes for Katje, Wee Gillis get a lot of play these days.

My least favorite books disappear.  I've gotten rid of Guess How Much I Love You (glad I'm not the only one who thought the big hare was obnoxious with his one-up-manship), Love You Forever (starts out sweet, but gets creepy--why do people love this so much?), and The Giving Tree (a.k.a. The Selfish Kid and the Tree With No Boundaries). 

One that I haven't gotten rid of because it came from my MIL is Dig, Dig, Digging, which has cool cut-paper illustrations but kinda dopey rhythmic/poetic text that gets old really fast.  All three of my kids have loved the book with a passion.

I've been desperately trying to find Sniff, Snuff, Snap! (and a few others by Lynley Dodd) which we kept checking out from the library over and over before we moved.  Apparently it's an Aussie thing (though how our Indiana library had all her books is beyond me); the library here doesn't have them and I miss them so much that I may just bite the bullet and pay shipping for a few of my favorites.  Other than that, some of our favorites are Richard Scarry (love all the detail in the illustrations--the time it takes to look at them is the only drawback, especially at bedtime), Laura Ingalls Wilder (all my kids have loved the picture books of her life before moving to the chapter books), and Mike McClintock (Seuss-esque rhythm/rhyme with fun stories).  Hmm...  All three of those are throwbacks to my childhood.  I guess they have withstood the test of time!

My least favorite books disappear.  I've gotten rid of Guess How Much I Love You (glad I'm not the only one who thought the big hare was obnoxious with his one-up-manship), Love You Forever (starts out sweet, but gets creepy--why do people love this so much?), and The Giving Tree (a.k.a. The Selfish Kid and the Tree With No Boundaries). 

One that I haven't gotten rid of because it came from my MIL is Dig, Dig, Digging, which has cool cut-paper illustrations but kinda dopey rhythmic/poetic text that gets old really fast.  All three of my kids have loved the book with a passion.

I've been desperately trying to find Sniff, Snuff, Snap! (and a few others by Lynley Dodd) which we kept checking out from the library over and over before we moved.  Apparently it's an Aussie thing (though how our Indiana library had all her books is beyond me); the library here doesn't have them and I miss them so much that I may just bite the bullet and pay shipping for a few of my favorites.  Other than that, some of our favorites are Richard Scarry (love all the detail in the illustrations--the time it takes to look at them is the only drawback, especially at bedtime), Laura Ingalls Wilder (all my kids have loved the picture books of her life before moving to the chapter books), and Mike McClintock (Seuss-esque rhythm/rhyme with fun stories).  Hmm...  All three of those are throwbacks to my childhood.  I guess they have withstood the test of time!

Lynley Dodd is fabulous! Our favorite is Slinky Malinky -- really, you have to read that one at least once. If you need to buy (and amazon.com is letting you down), the book depository does worldwide shipping for free. I've used it quite a few times to get titles that weren't readily available via other sources.

• 2 weeks later...

Brown bear brown bear what do you hear. I actually think the book is great, but I have read it so many times! I actually fall asleep reading it, so I hid it. Wanted her to have a new favorite. At least that's what I told myself. :)

I don't think I will get tired of Dr. Seuss' books.