Menu

If you no longer homeschool

dancer67

Do you still come here to the chat board?

Do any of you frequent another site fir just chit chatting or general advice?

I haven't actually homeschooled in almost 20 years.

Obviously, I still come here. :D

I will always be a homeschooler. Sometimes I think I might have something valuable to share, and so I do. Sometimes I'm probably just a PITA. :001_tt2: I particularly enjoy TWTM 'cuz y'all know everything, but I do go to other a few other sites.

• Like 13

My kids are still homeschooled but I'm not longer the one homeschooling them, so I guess my situation is a little odd.  I do have homeschooling experience and definite opinions on curriculum so I occasionally contribute in that way, but that's more on the curriculum boards.  I find that many of the conversations on the Chat board have very little to do with homeschooling.

Well, these forums have such a variety of wise people and with so many different views on topics.  It is hard to find that other places!

The vast majority of posters are civil, polite, and try to be helpful even if they are disagreeing.

It is hard to find that other places.

• Like 4

Our homeschooling adventure ended two years ago when youngest DS was accepted into an early college high school program.  I'm still here, and still find the college forum very helpful. :)

I do have several other message boards I'm active on.  But this one is by far the most active as far as general chit chat and advice.

• Like 2

I am done homeschooling, although I still teach at a homeschool co-op. I still come here for chatting and occasionally for curriculum advice for the classes I teach.

I like that I can ask a question about my take on an issue and get lots of responses from people of various political and religious persuasions. My FB friends tend be pretty much of one mind. 

• Like 2

I would perish without the wisdom of the no-longer-hsing moms who come here! Please, please never leave!!! Especially as I move into the kid-in-college phase...oh, I am SO GLAD for the experienced moms who are unshakeable, unshockable, and who, collectively, have navigated just about every issue I can think of. You ladies are my cyber-mentors and I hope you never leave!

ETA: darn ipad typos

• Like 9

Yes, I am still here.  I was here 2 major board changes ago.......maybe 2000 or even earlier???  I homeschooled for 15 years but now my girls are in public school special education programs and our foster boy is in public school as well.

I still find a lot of very helpful information here, and hopefully can contribute to the special needs, adoption, foster care, etc. type threads.

Other than facebook I don't have any other social media/chat boards, etc. I visit.

• Like 1

I'm sending my five school-aged kids to school this fall, but I still plan on coming here. :) I've got ten years of homeschooling experience, and I like the people here. The elementary school uses programs popular among homeschoolers (Saxon math, Spalding, and Shurley English), so I may ask questions about those for homework/reinforcement purposes. I may end up afterschooling a subject or two as well.

I only hschooled for 5 years as it was--and that ended 5 years ago (although I did help homeschool a little cutie last year for history and some LA).

I'm still in the education world, and still have one child (teen) at home--there's so much good advice and interesting perspective here that I find it an incredibly rich place.

Plus y'all are funny. And fun.

• Like 1

So glad those of us who no longer homeschool are not getting kicked out LOL :lol:(I still have about 2 years to go and I am done)

I have FB and one other site I go to, but I don't like it nearly as much as here. I like to read different opinions/perspectives on subjects. That doesn't happen so much on another board.

Again, I know I don't post a lot. But I do come here often and read many threads. Part of my early morning routine. Coffee/FB/WTM!!! :hurray:

My homeschooling years ended in the spring of 2012 when middle son graduated.

I'm way too attached to other boardie kids to contemplate leaving, and I love the diversity and depth of boardies, themselves, to give up the chat board.  I still learn new things on a regular basis from various threads - things I never even knew I needed/wanted to know, but appreciate knowing after exposure.

The Hive also tends to be my place of refuge when I'm bored or feeling blah.  I can almost always find distractions worthy of contemplating or having fun with.  That's actually why I'm here NOW (this moment).  My brain is more "fried" today than it has ever been I think. Normally I'd head out traveling or hiking or something if I could, but today hubby and youngest are out working (engineering).  Middle is still in bed, but I think he has a lunch date with friends.  I'm home alone with the critters (and won't have a vehicle) so I'm instinctively hunting down distractions where I can usually easily find them.  ;)

Other boards?  College confidential occasionally, but I'm spending less and less time on there.  I'm not on FB.  This board is IT for me.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

I would perish without the wisdom of the no-longer-hsing moms who come here! Please, please never leave!!! Especially as I move into the kid-in-college phase...oh, I am SO GLAD for the experienced moms who are unshakeable, unshockable,

......aaaaaannnnnndddddd???

:D

• Like 6

My youngest graduated two years ago, but I'm still here.  :)  I do still do some homeschooling though, and I think the boards are very helpful and fun!  And thought-provoking.  I don't go on any other boards, or Facebook.

I stopped homeschooling this year, but I've homeschooled for about 15 years and I've been on TWTM forums since close to the very beginning.  Way before the switch to the new boards.  This is the only forum I visit.  

Last year was my last year home schooling, and even that I did mostly through TPS. I spent so much time here over the years because my erratic work schedule and home schooling meant that it was hard to maintain traditional friendships. Now we own two restaurants and work about 80 hours a week so a regular social life is still on ice, so I still come here to share ideas with people of a large variety.

• Like 1

I joined the boards shortly after I began homeschooling in the fall of 2003. My son graduated in 2009, but I never left here. I mostly just read and comment only if I feel I have something relevant to add. This is the only homeschooling board I visit though I am on a couple of social media sites.

I began HS/ing after I read WTM in 2000 & joined the board soon after.  I don't post much, but I visit this board most days even though I stopped HS/ing almost 5 years ago (when ds#2 went to PS for high school) after a decade of teaching 1, 2, or all 3 of my dc.  I now work as a relief teacher (substitute teacher) at our local intermediate school, so am still in the education sector.  

• Like 1

I'm on the brink.  I don't even *really* homeschool any more, as my kids only do a few subjects at home, and those completely independently of me.  We also pretty much have the curriculum picked out for these last two years too.  I'm just here for the entertainment...lol.

I didn't find WTM until I was done homeschooling. I wish that hadn't been so!

But yes , I am done , kids all married and I have moved into grandparenting stage of life.

I have thought for several decades now that moms, women, have lost something in the current way we live. The old fashioned quilting bees and barn raising events were social as well as productive. But quilting bees allowed women to get together and talk, help and support each other.

Now we have the Internet. These boards are invaluable support for all kinds of topic. I might not have help in educational topics anymore, but I still cook, sew, and clean my house. I can help you out there!

• Like 4

My homeschooling years ended in the spring of 2012 when middle son graduated.

I'm way too attached to other boardie kids to contemplate leaving, and I love the diversity and depth of boardies, themselves, to give up the chat board.  I still learn new things on a regular basis from various threads - things I never even knew I needed/wanted to know, but appreciate knowing after exposure.

The Hive also tends to be my place of refuge when I'm bored or feeling blah.  I can almost always find distractions worthy of contemplating or having fun with.  That's actually why I'm here NOW (this moment).  My brain is more "fried" today than it has ever been I think. Normally I'd head out traveling or hiking or something if I could, but today hubby and youngest are out working (engineering).  Middle is still in bed, but I think he has a lunch date with friends.  I'm home alone with the critters (and won't have a vehicle) so I'm instinctively hunting down distractions where I can usually easily find them.   ;)

Other boards?  College confidential occasionally, but I'm spending less and less time on there.  I'm not on FB.  This board is IT for me.   :coolgleamA:

Creekland I go to both college confidential and here. College confidential is where I learned about this board. I only wish I could homeschool D12 how always been in public school and thrives with all the social interaction. I love following you on both boards.

• Like 1

We only homeschooled for three years, and DS returned to school this past year.  I doubt we'll ever homeschool again.  I did take a break from the boards when he first returned, because I had some conflicting feelings about it, and wanted to immerse myself in our new situation, if that makes sense, without longing for the past.  :)

But I'm still here too. 

I finished homeschooling a year ago after 20+ years of homeschooling, but I like to come to the chat board here because it's a group of intelligent people who can generally discuss topics in a reasonable way. I get good advice when I need it and I like to engage in discussions here on current events. 

• Like 1

I started coming to TWTM boards when my oldest (20) was 5! I haven't homeschooled in 5? 6? years but I have history and relationships here.

I work in education. I usually post on "other" topics but I do feel I have some valuable suggestions on some homeschooling topics.