Menu

Let's play a game of "Would you eat this".

I left a pile of homemade chili on the counter last night. No meat or dairy in it, just kidney beans, onion, spices, tomato, etc. It was semi-cool in the kitchen overnight.

My husband had to work and didn't get any. I planned to let him have some tonight. Do I really have to throw it out?

My dad votes yes because beans have protein and that spoils faster. My mom just asked how much spice. (Medium - red pepper and a bit extra chili powder.)

:confused:

I have seen spoiled beans and they bubble when you stir them. LOL, but I am still not sure I would eat them. My MIL leaves all types of food out overnight even beans and then just warms them the next day and she has never killed any of her children. Needless to say I panic when I have to eat there because I am afraid of how old the food is.

I have seen spoiled beans and they bubble when you stir them. LOL, but I am still not sure I would eat them. My MIL leaves all types of food out overnight even beans and then just warms them the next day and she has never killed any of her children. Needless to say I panic when I have to eat there because I am afraid of how old the food is.

Do we have the same MIL? Mine tried to feed us leftover lasagna that sat out for 2 days--in the summer, in WI, in a house with only a room AC!

I passed on that one :p.

Thanks for playing everyone. I think I'll sent it with my husband for work this evening for leftovers, consider it myself but leave the kids out. Happy medium. I know most people used to be a lot more relaxed about food. Sometimes they did get sick though so that's not necessarily a sign that we're over paranoid these days!

My MIL leaves all types of food out overnight even beans and then just warms them the next day and she has never killed any of her children. Needless to say I panic when I have to eat there because I am afraid of how old the food is.

LOL! Sounds like my in-laws home! My husband and all of his brother have iron stomachs as a result, but I get nervous about eating there...

I have been looking at the title of this thread and trying to decide if I wanted to participate. I thought it was a fun thread. You know, like...would you eat squid? Would you eat a small, but whole, fish all at once. I would have eaten the chili. My mom is always leaving food out overnight and we eat it and have never gotten sick. By food out overnight I mean, fried chicken and savory Korean pancakes.

Well, when you cook dried beans from scratch you can boil them and then leave them to soak and soften overnight on the counter in the pot. What would be the difference in this situation? I would think the added spices and the acid from the tomato products would add to the preservation of the food.

I'd eat it after I'd simmered it for at least ten minutes and I usually never take risks with foods. My family thinks I'm the kitchen nazi when it comes to cross-contamination and spoilage!

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place

Was the lid on?

Honestly, if there's no meat or dairy, and the lid is on, beans are probably good for three days or so on the stovetop/counter. And when in doubt, just lift the lid and give it a little stir. When beans go funky, they go funky in a hard-core olfactory way!

I almost always have ham bones in my beans, so if I leave those out, they're compost in the morning. (I hate when I do that!) But if I lucked out, I know they're good to go. I feed 'em to the kids, too. And I swear the cold EmBaby has isn't from bad beans! LOL! ;-)

Dy

Was the lid on?

Honestly, if there's no meat or dairy, and the lid is on, beans are probably good for three days or so on the stovetop/counter. And when in doubt, just lift the lid and give it a little stir. When beans go funky, they go funky in a hard-core olfactory way!

I almost always have ham bones in my beans, so if I leave those out, they're compost in the morning. (I hate when I do that!) But if I lucked out, I know they're good to go. I feed 'em to the kids, too. And I swear the cold EmBaby has isn't from bad beans! LOL! ;-)

Dy

Yeah, I mean, I SOAK my beans. Overnight. Sometimes longer. Out of the safe harbor of the fridge, right on the cold stovetop. And without the preservative powers of the acidic tomatoes. Which, come to think of it, sit on my countertop or windowsil for a week waiting to be eaten. And the onions, I don't refrigerate those. Meat, eh, I can see being cautious about. But beans and onions and tomatoes and chilis and salt? Not so much.