Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 23

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Can you believe that when I first put in the thread title, I worte "Mindless Spending?" :D True story!

Okay, so mindFUL spending of the past week:

I have been spending more money for DD's graduation party planning, the actual graduation, and stuff for her dorm. I guess I could spend less if I were really trying, but I'm proud and happy for her. :) I got 20 cups for the grad party; I still need twice as many, but I cleaned Target out of the blue tumblers. Someone else had already cleaned out the Room Essentials white square dinner plates, so I'll have to try again on that.

I got her a new pillow and some sheets. I got some things to make up a First Aid kit for her. (Side note: when her boyfriend was first away at college, he became sick with a horrible double ear infection. Poor thing drove himself around in the middle of the night, trying to find some medicine! It was a sad tale.)

I spray painted the cookie tin I bought at GW for a dollar. It will hold cookies at her party. I am looking for some guidance on making iced sugar cookies decorated with blue and gold icing. I know how to make sugar cookies, but I haven't made the fancy icing before. I want to make sailboats and anchors (wind in her sails, but stable and anchored) - I still need cookie-cutters in these shapes.

I haven't tried out the FB Buy Nothing group yet. I introduced myself, but i'm trying to feel out the group.

• Like 3

Really watching our spending this week because we still have a lot of dorm stuff to buy for ds and when we drop him off on the 21st we're bringing oldest daughter and our four grandkids back for a ten day visit.  I am not ready to feed that many people. These children are skinny as rails but eat constantly.   Can't wait to have them here, but it's going to cost us a fortune!

Not much spending this week, nothing to note, really, except 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's.  

Ds and I share a car and dh noted the other day that he hasn't seen any receipts for gas from that car (he tracks expenses, mileage, etc.)  

Dh has been home a lot because he's trying to get ready to leave for school. I've been home more since my tutoring gig is on summer break. So I looked it up and we last put gas in our shared car on April 27.  Guys, it's June 6 and I still have 1/4 of a tank left! It's a well worn 2004 Malibu, not a Prius or anything.   40+ days so far!!!!!!!    

One more week of mindful spending and then a month of crazy spending.  I'm actually dreading this next month- what now appears to be crazy spending used to be our normal spending. I truly didn't realize how much discretionary spending we were doing until I started this challenge. 

• Like 3

I have been working on the play kitchen I'm making for my granddaughter. So I've had to buy odds and ends for that.

My daughter and I went camping last weekend. $54 for three nights at the campsight, probably $50 for gas round trip, $39 for appetizers and wine at the lodge one evening. Best appies ever!

I will be traveling (a long old distance) in a couple weeks to visit my son's family, so that's going to add up, but it's worth it!

• Like 3

Dh has been home a lot because he's trying to get ready to leave for school. I've been home more since my tutoring gig is on summer break. So I looked it up and we last put gas in our shared car on April 27. Guys, it's June 6 and I still have 1/4 of a tank left! It's a well worn 2004 Malibu, not a Prius or anything. 40+ days so far!!!!!!!

That is amazing! I feel like maintaing the cars is all I ever do anymore. New tires. Oil change. Gas. Air filter. Funny sound. Knob broke off. Etc., etc., etc!

• Like 1

I've been so busy these last few weeks, I haven't checked in... or maybe I've just been spending too much, and being avoidant!

We closed on our lakehouse May 13th. We had a few unexpected projects (and a few unnessesary) that we've been working on. We sprung for new stainless steel Samsung kitchen appliances, ordered new windows to be installed, removed paneling from the basement and put in drywall, Invisible Fence system for the dogs, and so on. We've been out exploring a lot - shopping and eating along the way, too. Now, many, MANY dollars later, I'm ready to get back on track. The most difficult part is staying away from my local Annie Sloan stockist and all the fabulous antique shops everywhere! I'm taking the kids to Bass Pro to buy a canoe this afternoon, then back to budgeting for savings!

• Like 4

The most difficult part is staying away from my local Annie Sloan stockist and all the fabulous antique shops everywhere! 

We've spent our share on antiques this spring but it was money put away last year for it....spending, but planned. 

I keep reading about Annie Sloan paint and want to repaint my Hoosier cabinet and thought it would be a good time to try to the Annie Sloan. I saw the prices and dh looked at me like I had grown another head and possibly a horn. 

• Like 4

I spent $20 but that was a super good deal on some basic quilting supplies (ruler, 2 rotary cutters and two cutting mats plus some stuff the lady threw in free) to make some important gifts so I am calling it a good value. Sweet older ladies selling stuff on Craigslist for the win!

• Like 3

Let's see, I paid $180 for our green belt tests and $50 for the kids' tennis lessons.  I took them to the sports store and bought fishing rod/tackle sets, tennis rackets, and really warm sleeping bags.  I don't remember exactly what I spent but it wasn't cheap.  :P  But these are investments, right?  (The fishing kits were only like $15 each and will be too basic for them if they ever become experienced fishers, but that may never happen considering who is raising them.)

My kids' last day of school was Thursday, so I did treat them to some ice cream.  As far as I'm concerned, they more than earned it.  And so did I.  ;)

I got a flyer for summer chess camps.  Although I don't know if I have enough openings on their summer calendar, I will look into this as a possibility.  I know this is frivolous but I do work and they offer full-day camps.  They have to be somewhere during my work week, right?

• Like 1

Hello everyone.  I have returned home after spending two weeks with an elderly friend who lost her husband in the spring.  The couple would normally transition to their cottage in May. I volunteered to fly north to help (using frequent flyer miles for the trip).

My expenditures for the last two weeks have been minimal.  I bought a case of wine for my friend in order to have something on hand when people stop in as they do.  Other than that, I was treated to clam chowder, two lobster rolls, and some delicious Portuguese bread.  I love Cape Cod.

I ordered a linen sweater when a sale coupon was dangled before my eyes via email.

Looking at my calendar for the week, it appears that I will be too busy to spend on things other than groceries although my husband does have a recall appointment for his vehicle scheduled.  In addition to doing the airbag work, he is going to have a few preventative things taken care of while the vehicle is in the service bay.

• Like 1

I spent some money on paint and painting supplies. This is one of the project that I had planned on tackling this year, so it is a planned expense. I bought two gallons of primer and a gallon of paint as well as rollers and paintbrushes and trays.  I am painting my living room and dining room. The primer should be plenty to do both rooms and maybe have some left over, but I will need more paint, rollers and brushes.

I am proud of myself for not spending much on clothes for myself. Since I have lost a little weight, I am getting back into a couple pairs of shorts and capris that  had been too snug. So, instead of buying more clothing , I am "shopping my closet" and making do with what I have.

• Like 3

I spent some money on paint and painting supplies. This is one of the project that I had planned on tackling this year, so it is a planned expense. I bought two gallons of primer and a gallon of paint as well as rollers and paintbrushes and trays.  I am painting my living room and dining room. The primer should be plenty to do both rooms and maybe have some left over, but I will need more paint, rollers and brushes.

I am proud of myself for not spending much on clothes for myself. Since I have lost a little weight, I am getting back into a couple pairs of shorts and capris that  had been too snug. So, instead of buying more clothing , I am "shopping my closet" and making do with what I have.

You're doing great! Spending money on paint and supplies is definitely mindful spending. You're improving your house by doing it yourself- good for you!

Losing weight and shopping your closet- congrats!!! 

• Like 1

I was thinking about doing something this Saturday that would cost $300 (if our scout camping gets rained out).  The thought of it brought this thread to mind.  I thought, "maybe I shouldn't post my spending next week."  LOL.  But that would defeat the purpose. 

The purchase would be a TKD camp ($99 each) which would enable us to move up to the next belt.  We missed the spring belt test because we were all sick and Miss A broke her toe.  I really want to be a black belt at 50.  Totally frivolous.  But maybe I will do it anyway.

• Like 2

SKL, I don't think that's frivolous. You're already participating in TKD and you missed spring testing for valid reasons. It makes sense to do the camp to get you back to where you would have been without illness and a broken toe.  

I'm probably not the right one to encourage you, though.  We bought Opry tickets so DH and I can celebrate after what will be 4 weeks of stress.  One kid on the other side of  the world, another embarking on an adventure that he's really stressed about, another kid struggling with financial problems, and the oldest child is coming to visit bringing her 4 young kids...but not her husband....for ten days.  Add in my inlaws struggling with health issues and mil is having serious memory issues that nobody will address....and those Opry tickets are cheaper than therapy.  

Hope your scout camping trip isn't rained out, but if it is the TKD camp sounds lovely. A black belt at 50- well, that ship has sailed for me but good for you for doing it!