Menu

Latin Conjugation Question (Updated Additional Question)

Reefgazer

DD and I are finishing up FFL and have a conjugation question that we can't figure out.  We can't understand the conjugation of irregular verbs ardeo and jubeo in the perfect system.  I understand that with second conjugation verbs you drop the "I" on the third principal part to find the stem.  For irregular verbs ardeo and jubeo, that leaves stems of "ars" and "juss".  Other irregular verbs we study add an "I" to that stem for the first person singular conjugation in the perfect system (such as "respondi" or "sedi").  However, our answer key is giving the conjugation of ardeo as "juss" for the first person singular, and "ars" for the first person singular of jubeo.  Can anyone explain this?  Thanks.

The principal parts are irregular. I hated that list when we were going through that lesson!

Just because a verb has unusual principal parts, though, doesn't mean it is irregular -- that's why Latin verbs have principle parts you get to memorize.  The truly irregular verbs in latin are ones like sum//possum and friends, volo/nolo/malo, and a handful of others.

• Like 2

Because Memoria Press told me so. 😀 Seriously, though, MP calls those verbs irregular because the principal parts are irregular. I have to believe them because I do not know any Latin and I'm learning it from scratch with DD. But I do see what you mean by Sum/possum being true irregular verbs. Perhaps I should have worded my post more carefully.

Kathy is correct, of course, but why do you consider ardeo, jubeo and friends "irregular"?

Thanks. I thought I had totally missed important lesson. :)

The answer key is wrong here. The 3rd principal part of a verb IS the first person singular verb form in the perfect tense (& indicative mood, active voice). So the answers should be arsi and jussi as you thought. Good catch!

• Like 1

Just because a verb has unusual principal parts, though, doesn't mean it is irregular -- that's why Latin verbs have principle parts you get to memorize. The truly irregular verbs in latin are ones like sum//possum and friends, volo/nolo/malo, and a handful of others.

This is what Memoria Press said, right there in the book! I don't know if it says they are irregular in and of themselves, or it's just that they have irregular principal parts. I don't know enough to tease that out. I just go by what they say and accept it at that.
  • Like 2

This is what Memoria Press said, right there in the book! I don't know if it says they are irregular in and of themselves, or it's just that they have irregular principal parts. I don't know enough to tease that out. I just go by what they say and accept it at that.

Which is just what you have to do with a textbook--but that doesn't make it correct. GGardner is right on this one ;-) of course!  No one is criticizing you, just the text. 

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Latin_irregular_verbs

I actually posted on the Memoria Press board about this question and was told "juss" was a typo (it should have read "jussi").  But I also realized that in this thread, I was not precise in calling jubeo an an irregular verb, when I should have said that the principal parts were irregular, so sorry for the confusion.  I went back and looked and MP doesn't call the verbs irregular; that was just my sloppy interpretation.

Anyway, there's something else Memoria Press does that drives me crazy; I was wondering about your take on it (or anyone's take on it, actually).  On quizzes, they ask for the Latin translation of verbs as follows:

Question 1:  To warn __________________

My DD answered "monere", but the answer key said "moneo".  I thought "moneo" meant "I warn".  What are we missing here?

Which is just what you have to do with a textbook--but that doesn't make it correct. GGardner is right on this one ;-) of course!  No one is criticizing you, just the text. 

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Latin_irregular_verbs

Question 1:  To warn __________________

My DD answered "monere", but the answer key said "moneo".  I thought "moneo" meant "I warn".  What are we missing here?

MP does use these interchangeably on their worksheets & tests/quizzes throughout the different levels. It is crazy-making if you don't just use your own judgment. I gave credit for monere, but I didn't count it wrong if they put moneo (since, obviously, someone wrote the answer key that way). Eventually, I think they start asking for principal parts for everything instead of mixing the person up who corrects the work.

Sometimes, one has to know something to correct the work (esp. in foreign language & math). I've had to do some noggin' scratchin' when correcting work in both these subjects as there are sometimes more than one answer because they can be in different 'forms.'

• Like 2