Menu

I finished my jr. anatomy curriculum! :-)

I'm going through my site and updating / revising everything. I just finished the jr. anatomy curriculum that tracks with the high school level anatomy curriculum. 

jr-anatomy-banner.jpg

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/anatomy_jr/jr_anatomy_curriculum.html

It's literature based and meaty enough to be a "core" curriculum for science loving kids. :-) Now I have to update the pre-K through 2nd grade level. Then it's off to the next curriculum...I have such a huge load of work on my plate, but I love doing it. 

Hope this is a help to someone looking for something a little different. 

• Like 19

How exciting! Thank you! Question- I have been looking for a U.S. History program and yours looks great- I have a 9 & 7 yr old do we do part 1 and then part 2? Couldn't quite tell....

Thank you!

Yes, you'd do part 1 and then part 2. I'll be working on updating/revamping/revising both of my U.S. history programs this summer and hopefully will have the updates finished by August. I plan on making it much more clear how they work together, lol...

You are producing way faster than my hubby will let me spend. Lol

LOL

Congratulations it looks great as usual. I actually was hoping that Anatomy and Physiology Made Incredibly Easy was on this list. I'm looking forward to buying that book. :)

Thank you! I scheduled in the Anatomy & Physiology Made Incredibly Easy book in the high school curriculum. I thought it was a bit much for the younger crowd. It's super easy to fit in the schedule though, if you want to use it with younger students. I bought that one and also the Anatomy & Physiology Made Incredibly Visual. My son wants to use both.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I got the book title from your high school Anatomy curriculum.  :)

Anyhow, I'm still eyeing Science of the Seasons.  :)  How many pages is that book?

The book is about 50 pages. The activity book is about 140 pages. Let me know if you have any other questions!

The book is an easy read, despite the 50 pages. It's 50 picture book / comic pages, not like a novel. Here are some screenshots:

sample1.jpg?resize=300%2C190 sample2.jpg?resize=300%2C188

sample3.jpg?resize=300%2C185 sample4.jpg?resize=300%2C188

The activity book has lots of cut outs and a variety of activities. Here are some sample pages:

sample5.jpg?resize=300%2C193 sample6.jpg?resize=300%2C194

sample8.jpg?resize=300%2C196 sample7.jpg?resize=300%2C193

sample9.jpg?resize=300%2C195  samplefall.jpg?resize=300%2C196

• Like 3

That looks great!  When do you suggest to start this curriculum?  Can I start in the beginning of any season? 

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but you teach some animals in this curriculum as well? 

Anything else in your site like this curriculum?  From my search so far, I haven't seen anything like it.  But I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

That looks great!  When do you suggest to start this curriculum?  Can I start in the beginning of any season? 

You can start in any season. I have 2 versions of the curriculum.

The 1st is 14 weeks long and has a daily schedule. It can be started whenever you wish. The 1st version can be used as a gentle core curriculum with literature / read-alouds, etc. Or, it can be pared down to just the science.

The 2nd is a topics schedule (spring, summer, fall, winter) and can also be started whenever. It has a pre-unit to go through first, for introductory concepts. Then, you just jump into whichever season you are currently in and start having fun! The 2nd version is JUST science, with no cross-curricular types of things scheduled in.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but you teach some animals in this curriculum as well? 

Yes, I included some info about animals in this curriculum. Kids that are the target age usually love animals, and I felt it appropriate to include them with various seasonal topics. For example, I scheduled in a book about animal migration because my seasons book mentioned how some animals migrate during different seasons. I also included a book about birds, as many different birds are seasonal visitors to specific areas. I have a book about caterpillars scheduled in (along with a butterfly kit) and one about animal camouflage. The books I scheduled in expound on things that are briefly mentioned in either my book(s) or some of the other books I scheduled into the curriculum, like Explore Spring.

I basically designed something that would have been my kids' dream science curriculum when they were that age, lol.

Anything else in your site like this curriculum?  From my search so far, I haven't seen anything like it.  But I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

It depends on what you mean by "like this curriculum", lol. Explain? :-)

Most of the curricula I create are literature based with activities sprinkled in. They all have a similar flavor to them. However, I don't have anything quite like the seasons curriculum, maybe because I don't have any more books published to build a curriculum around, lol.

I'd like to write more books, but right now I'm trying to focus on converting / updating all of the curricula on my website. 

I do have plans to create more curricula. Anything specific you are looking for / want?

• Like 1

Yes, I meant did you publish any other books.  I noticed your other curriculae does not use a living book as a spine. (The best way I can explain it.)  It seems that your other curriculae are from various books/videos with activities.  What draws me to the Science of the Seasons is that there is a living book to read with activities.  Like the Sassafras curriculum. 

Unfortunately, I bought the Sassafras zoology right before or around you came out with the Science of the Seasons. 

Thanks for explaining the 2 versions.

Your curriculum is not expensive.  (Which I appreciate very much!)  It's just hard to justify doing 4 science curriculae at the same time.  When at this stage (pre-k and k) it's supposed to be all "fun".  :)  If you don't tell my hubby, I'll probably sneak it in.  lol 

What I want and what my kids need are the same thing.  It seems that what they need changes every 6 months.  :)  Thanks for asking though.  Wish I could tell you.

Looking forward to your currculum in the fall about the history of scientists.  I assumed that one will be a new one? 

Ah, have to go.  Toddler is crying. 

Thanks again!

Yes, I meant did you publish any other books.  I noticed your other curriculae does not use a living book as a spine. (The best way I can explain it.)  It seems that your other curriculae are from various books/videos with activities.  What draws me to the Science of the Seasons is that there is a living book to read with activities.  Like the Sassafras curriculum. 

Oh! sorry for being dense. :-) I get what you mean.

No, I haven't published any new books. It takes me about 3-4 months to create one set (two books) and I have to justify all that time spent on them.  I WILL make more, but it might have to be during my "hobby" time until they take off, if they ever do, and I can justify doing that sort of thing full-time.

It's what I really want to do. I want to make a whole slew of books and build stuff around them. I think the current set I made is unique in that it's not just tied to one thing. The main idea is about seasons, but I tied in lots of other info into the set like geography, cultures, history, cooking, math, Latin/Greek roots, language arts and more. That's how I always taught my kids, so it was natural for me to do that in the books I created. 

Your curriculum is not expensive.  (Which I appreciate very much!)  It's just hard to justify doing 4 science curriculae at the same time.  When at this stage (pre-k and k) it's supposed to be all "fun".   :)  If you don't tell my hubby, I'll probably sneak it in.  lol 

The books by themselves aren't curricula, ;)  and they are so much more than just science. I probably didn't do a good enough job on my website conveying that. I think I need to make a books section, or something, that isn't curriculum related. The seasons curriculum on my website is just something I built around them, but they are designed to be used independently. I hope I'm explaining that OK. I'm kind of brain dead right now as I've been working on the pre-K through 2nd grade version of my anatomy curriculum all day.

No need to sneak anything under the radar!! I'll send you some links to get the books for free, if you will agree to review them on Amazon and my store website and give me some feedback on them (like what I can do to improve the next set). Just PM me with your email address.

What I want and what my kids need are the same thing.  It seems that what they need changes every 6 months.   :)  Thanks for asking though.  Wish I could tell you.

LOL...I know how that goes. Years ago, I bought every single level of several curriculum items because they worked great with my two older kids. Then my son came along and I had to get rid of it all because it didn't work for him AT ALL. His needs changed all the time. I never could plan too far in advance when it came to curriculum. 

Looking forward to your currculum in the fall about the history of scientists.  I assumed that one will be a new one? 

Ah, have to go.  Toddler is crying. 

Yes, that's sort of something I'm thinking up...tentatively. It won't be ready for fall though.  I want to mix that up with various other topics...like more about the stuff the scientists discovered or worked on. We'll see what happens. I have so many plans and so little time to execute them all. I'm still homeschooling my son, too. He's older now, so he doesn't require as much of my time as he used to...but he still needs to get on the computer to do math and things like that which prevents me from putting in a full 8 hour days on this sort of stuff. 

I'm having a lot of anxiety about my future right now (life after kids), so I'm working my tail off with all of this trying to crank it all out so I can turn a hobby site into a business. It's so much work, it's overwhelming. :willy_nilly: Combine that with all the new stuff I want to make and the books I want to write and illustrate and I'm almost over my head, lol....Still, I love it.

Awww, I remember those toddler days. ;-)

• Like 1

I don't know how to separate quotes, so I hope my response makes sense.  :)

It's what I really want to do. I want to make a whole slew of books and build stuff around them. I think the current set I made is unique in that it's not just tied to one thing. The main idea is about seasons, but I tied in lots of other info into the set like geography, cultures, history, cooking, math, Latin/Greek roots, language arts and more. That's how I always taught my kids, so it was natural for me to do that in the books I created.

This sounds interesting.  I'm more intrigued.  :)  Looking forward to implementing the Science of the Seasons.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm more than willing to pay for it and then give a review.  You put so much work into it, you deserve to get paid! 

Alright, enough of my questions.  Thanks for taking the time and answering them! 

Have a good summer.  :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, joy! Rapture! I was searching the boards for one post on A & P (which I have yet to find) and I saw this! Thank you!!!

I  :001_wub: Guest Hollow. It's because of you, Jenn, that I "met" Henrietta. I'm reminded of her when I look at my chipped pedicure (like now). I cried so much over Elsie - and over Deborah! I would never have found that book w/o you. 

I'm so excited about your updated high school A & P resources (and the younger years too). 

Thank you so much!  :hurray:

Oh, joy! Rapture! I was searching the boards for one post on A & P (which I have yet to find) and I saw this! Thank you!!!

I  :001_wub: Guest Hollow. It's because of you, Jenn, that I "met" Henrietta. I'm reminded of her when I look at my chipped pedicure (like now). I cried so much over Elsie - and over Deborah! I would never have found that book w/o you. 

I'm so excited about your updated high school A & P resources (and the younger years too). 

Thank you so much!  :hurray:

Thanks for the compliment!! :-) I think I'm blushing as no one has ever used the word rapture when talking about my curricula, lol.

I'm so glad you liked the book!!

I'm looking forward to using my new A & P with my son this year. I'm happy to see you are excited about the updated resources, too!

Thanks again - you totally made my day.  :001_wub:

Thanks for the compliment!! :-) I think I'm blushing as no one has ever used the word rapture when talking about my curricula, lol.

I'm so glad you liked the book!!

I'm looking forward to using my new A & P with my son this year. I'm happy to see you are excited about the updated resources, too!

Thanks again - you totally made my day.  :001_wub:

OK, I just now was able to look at your high school A & P more closely. I love that you added Brain Games. In fact, I emailed you back in March that you might want to recommend it for your A & P course and there it is on your updated list of sources.. I'm going to totally take credit for that (you know, in exchange for the huge amount of info, curricula, and helps you provide for free!) and feel smart for 5 whole minutes.  :hurray:

As for the quote, I can't take credit for it. I ripped off the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz movie (but isn't that phrase in a Gilbert & Sullivan song too?), but you go right ahead and blush. I  big pink-puffy-heart love your materials and your suggestions for biology helped save my relationship w/ my son. True story. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...