Menu

Warning: I am going to KILL the kids at the computer next to me at the library.

Our library has a bunch of internet computers right next to the childrens' section - directly across the aisle from the H-K shelf. People (adults, not just kids/teens) are there All. Day. Long. looking at really questionable stuff. It makes me not want to let the kids look for books alone, and I'm not a particularly hovery person.

(Yes, I'm aware the thread is 4 years old!)

Edited by ocelotmom

Our local is across the street from the largest middle school in town, so I've noticed this phenomena since the boys were babies. We'd go home if the teens were too rowdy in the children's room.

The best thing our library did was to move half of the computers to the first floor and create a 'hang out' area. DVDs, CDs, newspapers, coffee counter, tables/booths, and meeting rooms are down there.

Now the teens stay out of the children's room and don't annoy research patrons. The stacks are upstairs. There are also private computer cubicles in the stacks for research patrons and if you're noisy or have more than 1 person per computer you will be bounced to the bottom floor. The downstairs 'teen' computers (actually many people use them but teens are maneuvered there over other spots) are completely open to the room. The separation also gives retired folks a spot to read the paper, drink coffee, and chat. It was really effective to separate the research/study function from the community meeting place function of the library.

Plus it gets 'I only borrow DVDs and use the computer' people in and out quicker. :tongue_smilie: