Menu

Gaaahhh! Trying to figure out Tracfone options

Ewe Mama

After our landline not working for several days this week, I am finally ready to let it go and get a cell phone.

I just want something that is cheap, gets good reception, and actually functions when I need it to. I don't need a camera, video, wifi, dog walking, or dish washing (although that would be nice.)

I figured a flip phone would be fine, but I don't know which one to choose or what a good price would be. Something that would allow the minutes to last all year would be good.

Please point me in the right direction!

I bought a cheap flip phone at Target. If you are in a larger city, the signal will be fine. If not, it will be spotty. I'm in a smaller town, and find I can work with the spotty signal. I bought the minute doubler (some phones come with it, and it is for the life of the phone). Then I buy the one year plan for about $100, with the doubler, it gives you 800-1000 minutes for the year (it will say 400 minutes for the year). That is more than enough for me, but I have a landline. Net 10 uses the same signals as Tracfone, they have more options for minutes, but the phones are not interchangable from tracfone to net10.

I have no idea. I am not a telephone person, but I tend to get involved in longish conversations with family once a month or so.

I looked at the tracfone site and their one year phones with double minutes would only come up to 800 minute a year. I think that is too low for my primary phone.

What is the highest number of minutes for a year available on any flip phone?

I know you don't need a fancy phone, but you could look at Republic Wireless.  You have to buy their phone, but their plans for unlimited text and talk start at $10 with no cellular data.

You might run the numbers and find that even with buying their phone, it is going to save you $$ over paying per minute.

There is also an option to get an ATT based phone and get a SIM card through TruFone.  Incoming calls and texts are free.  You only pay for outgoing.

Not affiliated.  You might want to take a look at the link below.  It's with Tracfone and the deal on QVC.  I saw it on Slickdeals.net.  The white or black phone comes case, car charger and 1200 prepaid minutes for phone/text/data that'll last a year.  Read the details though, I think you have to activate within 60 days.  

http://slickdeals.net/f/7899365-tracfone-lg-ultimate-2-prepaid-smartphone-1200-minutes-texts-data-car-charger-case-free-s-h-99?src=SiteSearchTest+-+Any+Time+-+%2B2+Thumbs+-+Title+and+First+Post+-+Hot+Deals+Only

A direct link to QVC's white phone http://www.qvc.com/APTSV.product.E227241.html?promo=RZ9

Link to the black one http://www.qvc.com/APTSV.product.E226810.html?promo=RV2