Menu

Centipede (?) sting--what helps?

plansrme

My 15 yo has outsized reactions to all sorts of bites and stings.   So, of course she was stung by something yesterday that we think is a centipede.  She saw it on her arm after she felt the sting.  Her best description matches a centipede, but not one of the nasty, furry brown ones that are supposed to be so evil.  I didn't see it but have spent an hour making her look at bug mug shots online, and we're now pretty sure it was a centipede.  We live in Georgia, so we have biting and stinging critters of all kinds.

The bite or sting swelled immediately over an area about the size of the palm of my hand.  She put Benadryl cream on it and took two Benadryl before bed. This morning, the entire inside of her forearm is swollen, itchy and a little painful.  She has used cortisone cream and is rubbing ice on it and says that helps, but what else does?  I'm running her in to the Walgreen's clinic in a minute, but surely there is some magical home remedy we don't know about, 'cause really--WHO GETS STUNG BY A CENTIPEDE???  

My 15 yo has outsized reactions to all sorts of bites and stings.   So, of course she was stung by something yesterday that we think is a centipede.  She saw it on her arm after she felt the sting.  Her best description matches a centipede, but not one of the nasty, furry brown ones that are supposed to be so evil.  I didn't see it but have spent an hour making her look at bug mug shots online, and we're now pretty sure it was a centipede.  We live in Georgia, so we have biting and stinging critters of all kinds.

The bite or sting swelled immediately over an area about the size of the palm of my hand.  She put Benadryl cream on it and took two Benadryl before bed. This morning, the entire inside of her forearm is swollen, itchy and a little painful.  She has used cortisone cream and is rubbing ice on it and says that helps, but what else does?  I'm running her in to the Walgreen's clinic in a minute, but surely there is some magical home remedy we don't know about, 'cause really--WHO GETS STUNG BY A CENTIPEDE???  

Call your local poison control center.  They are the experts in this stuff.

• Like 2

Centipede stings should be washed immediately with soap & hot water to neutralize the venom.  What you did with pills & ointment is usually step two of treatment.   If you didn't wash it out immediately, and step two treatment isn't working, then you'll probably need medical treatment.

• Like 1

I didn't know we had biting centipedes in Georgia! Eeeks!

I hope your DD is okay. I got eaten by mosquitoes and had a horrible swelling reaction. The doctor gave me prednisone and ? something that helped the itching. Zyrtec might help more than Benadryl. I agree with Jean that if her throat feels the slightest bit constricted, go to ER rather than a Minute Clinic (will they even deal with this?). I went to an urgent care.

• Like 2

I didn't know we had biting centipedes in Georgia! Eeeks!

I hope your DD is okay. I got eaten by mosquitoes and had a horrible swelling reaction. The doctor gave me prednisone and ? something that helped the itching. Zyrtec might help more than Benadryl. I agree with Jean that if her throat feels the slightest bit constricted, go to ER rather than a Minute Clinic (will they even deal with this?). I went to an urgent care.

Me either!  It is just not fair--heat, humidity, mosquitoes and, now, stinging centipedes.  But prednisone and Zyrtec are exactly what the NP recommended.  This kid also has nasty swelling reactions to mosquitoes, but we can usually head those off by applying Benadryl cream immediately, as in within minutes.  After that, it makes no difference, and they swell and scar.  Anyhow, I am mentioning that in case you come into contact with a centipede, as you might have a reaction similar to hers.  She wasn't even engaging in a high-risk activity, like rolling around in the grass; she was washing the dog in the driveway, so clearly the little devil had to work hard to find her.  

She has not not had any breathing issues, but I did not know to use hot water on a centipede sting, 'cause before this happened, I had no idea centipedes sting.  I'll remember for next time, though.

• Like 1

It's too late for this now, but applying moist tobacco to the sting right afterwards will draw out the poison. I don't smoke, but keep some around for that purpose. My dad, who hates smoking above all else, keeps some tobacco around for that purpose too. (This is not a "smoking hater" comment but just so folks will know that I so believe it works, as does my dad, who is an absolute teetotaler of all substances, that we keep tobacco around. Not like we have cigarettes lying abou the house anyway or something). Some of the plainest chewing tobacco is probably best, but it must be moistened with water.

• Like 1

It's too late for this now, but applying moist tobacco to the sting right afterwards will draw out the poison. I don't smoke, but keep some around for that purpose. My dad, who hates smoking above all else, keeps some tobacco around for that purpose too. (This is not a "smoking hater" comment but just so folks will know that I so believe it works, as does my dad, who is an absolute teetotaler of all substances, that we keep tobacco around. Not like we have cigarettes lying abou the house anyway or something). Some of the plainest chewing tobacco is probably best, but it must be moistened with water.

I have seen this done at a kids' baseball game--the batter was stung by a yellow jacket, and Dad took some out of his mouth and rubbed it in. I had no idea it was really a remedy! The kid ended up with a solid base hit, so it must have!

I have seen this done at a kids' baseball game--the batter was stung by a yellow jacket, and Dad took some out of his mouth and rubbed it in. I had no idea it was really a remedy! The kid ended up with a solid base hit, so it must have!

It is absolutely amazing. Someone did it for me as a teenager when I was nowhere close to any ice, meds, or other remedies. I've done it several times since. No itching, swelling, burning, nothing. Just a little red mark where the stinger went in.

• Like 1

It does work! I've never thought to keep any around. I got stung at church in high school. My dad found someone he knew chewed tobacco and mixed up some with spit. They said the spit was necessary. It hurt so badly I didn't care! It really did take the sting right out.